Soylent does ***not*** give you all the water you need

I’m getting worried by some of the posts I’m seeing on the forums. So I want to make a PSA for the safety of some of the people using Soylent.

Soylent is a drink, but that doesn’t mean you don’t need water. The water just brings it to a level where it’s drinkable. You still need to drink water outside of your Soylent. Soylent provides 100% RDA of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. It is not designed to provide all you water needs.

Also, @Soylent, could you consider adding a note to the packaging reminding people they still need to drink water in addition to Soylent?

Might be helpful to relate how much water you drink on top of Soylent.

There is a note on page 4 of the release notes for 1.1 although there may be a typo. My understanding is about 64 ounces or 2 liters per day is minimum.
Thanks for the reminder.now back to our regularly scheduled program.

The usual recommendation is eight 8oz glasses of water a day. But water needs are not rigid or consistent on a day to day basis. The best recommendation I’ve heard is to drink water until your urine is mostly clear.

I read that 8oz is supposed to be total fluid, including that from food… O.o

You also have to remember the powder and oil, even the portion that dissolves, takes up room in the container. So even though 2L is 67ish fl. oz. There isn’t 67ish ounces of water in there.

2 litres on top of soylent? … or… ?

Ahhh… valid point. it’s about a litre and a half.

It’s not strictly water. More broadly we need 2-3 liters of fluid per day. A full day of Soylent would be about 1.5 liters of liquid. Get another 1.5 from other sources. Water would be preferable.

And for those of us that like beer, it counts, but it’s not a good idea to get most of your water from beer.

Also, Soylent does not provide all the oxygen you need… or any really. You should probably continue breathing.

Disclaimer: do not try breathing Soylent in either powdered or liquid form. It will end badly. I’ve tried accidentally.

dude you are a troll or you can’t read properly i never said soylent was enough to fill our water need entirely
you say you’r worry about some posts but you dont show any quotes

I think just about everyone else in this thread can vouch that I am not a troll.

I don’t recall referring to you, or seeing a post of yours that I would consider falling into this category. What led you to believe I was referring to you? And I could quote the relevant people (one of which even admitted to being a “derp” due to having this misconception) but I don’t find it necessary to direct shame their direction. The important part is that it happened.

He posted this directly after I made a comment on another thread about the fact that I may be suffering from dehydration. Why do you feel the need to accuse him of trolling? He posted this out of genuine concern for people.

And also 1.0.

People don’t read documentation.

Thanks for the warning. A lot of people report headaches on Soylent, which may be a sign of dehydration.

The only Soylent-related headaches I get are from reading this forum! :wink:

I believe the 8 glasses of water rule is a myth:

I don’t know of any pre-industrial culture that supplied 2L of fresh water per day to every person. Ask the captain of a merchant vessel if you can have 2L of water, he’d laugh hysterically before tossing you overboard.

So one site says it a myth…so its a myth? A captain of vessel would laugh because when you are going on voyages survival is more important than health. Weight of cargo used to matter a lot on merchant vessels, so they used to carry as less water as they can get away with. One can survive on less water than 8 glasses that but it isnt healthy.

Sites like those are not medical websites.

It isn’t just one web site, Snopes is heavily cited. There are 9 references at the bottom of that article.

Thirst is our natural mechanism against dehydration. If you are experiencing headaches or other symptoms associated with dehydration but you are not thirsty, then it is plausible that those symptoms are caused by something else.