Soylent doesn't get bashed, it's a miracle

http://news.yahoo.com/video/liquid-substance-soylent-looks-replace-191115120.html

That’s one strange video; the interview sort of weasels sideways without going much of anywhere. Truly, the press does not know what to make of Soylent! If only they would take a moment to consider the fact that Soylent attempts to fulfil daily requirements in a way that hardly happens in any other way, it might cut through most of the confusion. But that feature is rarely if ever mentioned, unfortunately. Nevertheless, agreed, at this point it’s a bit of a miracle that it escaped bashing by this nutritionist, even though the interviewer tried to lead her in that direction.

Honestly, as soon as I saw “FOX” I thought oh crap…
But yeah the nutritionist did her best to hold her own and at the very least not be critical.

The big point made at the end of this interview by the nutritionist is the same one we were talking about in the ‘holistic’ thread - that you need taste, texture, the enjoyment of cooking, the enjoyment of sharing. The holistic experience.

When our bodies tell us we are hungry, we can consume nearly anything - whether it is high-fat, low-fat, high-sugar, low-sugar, high or low carb, or any other combination on any scale - and once it is consumed, once our stomachs are full - we will feel full. Does that mean we obtained a nutritious source of food? Does that mean that we’ve done the best we could to keep ourselves healthy?

No, we’ve just eliminated that feeling of hunger. The body’s only way of saying “hey, you, we need some more fuel now”.

Soylent:

1. Removes the need for one to be concerned about their nutrition
  2. Removes the need for one to allocate a fluctuating and disproportionate amount of their budget to food (not applicable to everyone, obviously)
  3. Removes the risk of an individual overindulging in unhealthy foods over a long period of time (in theory; simply based off of the idea that ceasing consistent intake of Soylent in place of consistent intake of unhealthy food would make you feel terrible)
  4. Removes the need to allocate vast spans of time on a consistent (daily) basis towards planning, buying, shipping, storing, preparing, cooking, and washing up after food

Therefore as a replacement for a majority of one’s meals, Soylent allows a person to truly enjoy the holistic aspect of real food - by giving the person the freedom to only need to eat real food when it is meant to be enjoyed, such as during an outing or social event.

Q: “But if I plan to eat a lot of real food today, shouldn’t I be drinking less Soylent that day? Won’t that make me feel worse?”

Why would the idea of drinking your full regimen of Soylent and then having some more food afterwards be a problem? So you’ve consumed more calories / fat / sugars / etc than you should have today. How many days (consistently) are you doing that now (on Soylent) compared to before?

Ultimately I think for anyone that allows Soylent to become a part of their lives, that person would have a hard time saying after four weeks of regular consumption, “this hasn’t changed my life at all”.

So yes, I agree that the holistic aspect of food is still an important one. I’d argue that it becomes even more important once we allow a product like Soylent to separate the Holistic quality of food from the Survival quality of food.

Thoughts?

I really don’t know, @GodRaine. At one time I would have agreed strongly with you. With experience I am becoming progressively less certain. Wait until you have actually been consuming soylent for at least a month, then tell me how you feel about this issue. (As I understand it you still are not on soylent, no?)

For me personally, soylent has changed the focus of my food preoccupations rather drastically. I am now a lot more interested in achieving a high quality of balanced nutrition, but I’m no longer much of a “foodie.” And in truth, I find a lot of the foodie stuff excessively bizarre these days, all of the emphasis on exotic ingredients, long, complicated recipes, etc. It just seems tedious to me. Many years ago I subscribed to “Gourmet” magazine and learned what true gourmet cooking was like, what the approach was; quite often it was much more about purity, simplicity and correct cooking method than it was about complexity and exotica. Who was it who said “hunger is the best sauce”? A lot of wisdom there.

In sum, I guess it depends on what one means by “holistic” in this context.

I’d hardly say soylent fulfills your daily requirements in a different way. You’re still ingesting food through your mouth and its being processed just like any other food, there’s just much, much less waste.

I honestly thought the nutritionist did a fine job saying that people who get results from products (weight loss) are much more likely to follow through on them. Forget cost, veganism, and sustainability for a moment. If people experience even a portion of the improvements rob reported (and many forum users seem to be able to support this) on his blog originally, they’re going to keep buying the product. That’s a simple, but powerful, reward system: Drink this instead of eating that, and you’ll feel better.

So, if what people say about Soylent making them enjoy food more is true, we’ve also changed the way haute cuisine works? If Soylent becomes mainstream we’re forcing a number of people to radically change their business plans.