Soylent Drink nutrition facts labelled incorrectly

I am doing a complete foods comparison and I was looking at the micronutrient content in Soylent Drink Original. Almost all of the micronutrients are labelled in % Daily Value, but Vitamin D, Calcium, Iron and Potassium have absolute amounts. Comparing the absolute amounts and % Daily Value to the FDA Daily Values, they just don’t add up. The biggest discrepancy is Vitamin D. There are 2mcg in Soylent Drink, but the FDA Daily Value for adults is 20mcg. How does this come out to 20% when it is obviously 10%? The values don’t add up for any of the 4, except for iron (if you round a bit, not sure how much rounding is allowed for % Daily Values).

I was using the FDA Daily Values from the FDA website and the new 2020 values from the NIH, neither adds up.

@soylent_team please address this because this just looks wrong.

2 Likes

To clarify, Vitamin D, Calcium, Iron and Potassium are labelled with absolute amounts (in mg or mcg), as well as being labelled 20% for the % Daily Value. How can Vitamin D be labelled both 2mcg and 20%, when the FDA Daily Value for adults is 20mcg? It seems like it should be 10%,

Is no one else concerned with what appears to be blatantly incorrect information on the nutrition label?

I’m not concerned. Do are you ever planning on consuming anything bu Soylent?

Thanks to reddit I found out that the FDA changed the Daily Values in 2016, but companies have until 2019 or 2020 to comply.

Still would appreciate if the @soylent_team would confirm this. Also, why not put the amounts in mg or mcg on the label? Most competitors (Huel, Jimmy Joy, Super Body Fuel) do this, and it is obviously better in terms of transparency, and in line with the hacker/open source ethos that soylent was started with.

1 Like

I guess I’m a nihilist cuz I’m not concerned either but this is basically a dead board. Even if people wanted to post here, they couldn’t for about a week cuz admin no pay bill.

3 Likes

It’s interesting, I just checked the RDA (now called RDI) changes. Many values dropped. A few rose, but only one (vitamin D) doubled, while a few (E, B12, B5, biotin, chromium, and copper) were cut in half or more. According to Wikipedia, this is the first significant update since the late 1960’s, so it’s not like the FDA is constantly churning on these.

I do wonder if Soylent plans on updating their recipe for this. I guess we won’t know until/unless they roll it out - with Conor gone, they’ve pretty much made it official that they won’t be telling us anything any more.