Soylent during a stomach bug

So, at the end of yesterday (first Soylent day), I was feeling a little more tired than usual, and generally just a little bit “off”.

“oh man” I said to myself - I hope this isn’t a reaction to Soylent. I was really hoping for more of an opposite reaction.

This morning, I felt considerably worse. I really didn’t feel like having any more Soylent. And then I realized… I didn’t feel like any more food at all. And then I realized, this is probably not related to Soylent, but rather to that friend I helped out during his stomach bug the other day (grrr, this is what I get for being a good friend?). And then I went to the restroom and had a conversation with the toilet.

Now on the one hand, I’m a little frustrated because this obviously destroys any accurate perception at my first few days on Soylent. On the other hand, I can try to post some updates as far as “how does Optimal Nutrition factor in to overcoming illness”. Honestly I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to get out of it past maybe “I seemed to get better a little faster than usual” but hey - might as well contribute, right?

Main point 1: Soylent is way too rich to handle much of just yet. I’ve diluted it a little, and that makes it easier, but I can’t drink much without feeling the edges of “please stop doing that, or there will be trouble” from my stomach.

Main point 2: As far as I can tell, I don’t have this bug nearly as bad as my friend did. For one, he was firing from both ends, and I’ve only had to deal with the nausea-related one. For two, I have some nausea, and minor aches, but I don’t feel as bad as he looked. Can’t say for sure whether this is related to a full day of Soylent just before it took hold, but it’s possible that it helped me get a jump on this thing.

In house nurse @leecauble1?

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. First recognize most stomach bugs are viruses and they will get better over time. I do think full strength Soylent may be too much for you right now. My go to for the first day of something like this is to keep hydrated in small amounts. Tea with ginger or mint work well at calming the digestive system. Be sure to drink water. I usually keep a cool glass and try to finish at least 8 ounces every 2-3 hours. This is especially important if you are vomiting and or having diarrhea. The biggest danger with this type of illness is electrolyte loss, particularly sodium and potassium. So start by adding in some chicken soup. Yep that’s right good ole chicken soup is very good for helping to restore your electrolytes. If you are experiencing diarrhea you can go the BRAT diet. Banana, rice, applesauce and tea. It will give you bulk and replenish your potassium. Most importantly - GO SLOW. After the first 24 hours you can try adding back in small sips of Soylent maybe 2-3 ounces at a time. Avoid dairy as it can be difficult to digest. However once you are feeling better a little yogurt to restore your gut bacteria is a good idea. If your symptoms last more than 2-3 days or you begin to experience irregular heart rates then you need to see a medical professional. Feel Better.

Thanks for the advice - I was just posting to share possible data, but you are very kind to stop by :smiley:

I’ve got a glass next to me with about a pint of water, tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, and a bit of salt. Between that and getting past the morning time, the nausea is drastically less. I wouldn’t be surprised if the earlier vomit was the only one I have to deal with over this illness (boy wouldn’t that be nice).

I’m keeping a careful eye on the Soylent - I had a sip or two earlier, and it seemed alright as long as it was only occasionally and very little. I got some crackers and sprite from the guy with the virus in the first place, and he might still have some applesauce. I’m planning to keep that as my main food, with perhaps just the occasional sip of watered-down Soylent, only as my stomach comfortably allows.

I actually had a whole bunch of chicken soup from last weekend, but… I used it all up in expectation of Soylent :sweat_smile:

Oh well. I suppose if I’m generally avoiding Soylent, this won’t be an especially useful thread. But I shared two potential data points, so that’s neat.

Saltines are always good.

Sharing is caring, after all. :smiley:

After talking with my doc yesterday after a fairly painful day we think I may have an ulcer… would rather have your stomach bug right now. :wink:

Well, in the interest of Science, here’s the timeline over the last few days:

Thursday: First Soylent day. 100% Soylent. Went to bed sort of extra-tired.
Friday: Everything is terrible. Arguments with toilet. No Soylent, too rich for nausea. Nausea is all gone by afternoon, but headaches persist through night.
Saturday: Some headaches in morning, generally gone by midday. Return to Soylent by evening, finish half a leftover water bottle’s worth from Thursday.
Today: Pretty sure the virus is entirely gone. Head’s a little foggy, but I think that has more to do with “I have essays to write and I don’t want to.”

All said, I was through pretty much the entirety of the illness in about 24 hours. Whether all my Soylent the day before gave me a boost, or it was just that kind of bug, I can’t really say. Probably the most likely thing is that it was a quick virus, and Soylent may or may not have helped out just minorly.

Digestion-wise, I can say that I only had the barest hint of intestinal discomfort, whereas my friend, to quote, “emptied the entire contents of [his] body” over a very unpleasant alternating ordeal. I vomited twice over probably 4-5 hours, had head and body aches and pains for the next half day, and that was pretty much it, aside from being generally tired. I don’t think either myself or my friend are willing to make a study of our comparative reaction to stomach viruses, so I’m gonna call this the end of my little data curiosity :stuck_out_tongue:

Immune system changes after being on soylent?