Soylent early adopters - experience & tips

This is a topic for sharing experience with our own custom-made Soylent.

It’s not a how-to, this assumes we’ve already taken on the responsibility and had the knowledge to roll our own. (I’m just being careful here, since Rob is being careful, also he’ll be launching his Kickstarter soon.)

I’ve been on my own Soylent for 3 weeks now, and it’s going excellent, although there were a few things to address. I wanted to point out some info on olive oils to begin.

In my experience if you’re in the states you want an olive oil made in California, not imported from Italy. You also want it in a dark container. Since we’re drinking this stuff daily, quality is important. The bit about California is partly due to articles like this: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/15/business/la-fi-olive-oil-20100715 California olive oil seems to be safer purity wise. I’m not an expert on olive oil (yet) but “first cold press” on the label is also a good thing.

I’ve been using Badia brand evoo for the last couple weeks. It comes in 1 liter bottles and works very well in my opinion.

Any tricks on homogenizing the oil into your solutions?

Ok! So my experiences! I’ve been doing it for a little more than a week and so far I’m having good ones as well as bad ones.

The good part:

1. I feel healthier. I don’t feel so tired as I used to feel.

2. My skin looks better.

3. The time and money saved is making me really happy. Specially the time.

The bad part:

1. I can’t seem to find an appropriate source of fat. I tried using olive oil as Rob suggested but it just tastes awful, even just a little. I guess I just hate the taste of olive oil. Any suggestions on accessible replacements?

2. My soylent version does not make me feel full. So I crawl back to regular food for saciety and end up gaining weight, since I already took a regular amount of carbs with the drink. I made it a little better by raising the amount of fibers drastically, but I still feel too hungry.

3. Always, ALWAYS, wash your cup immediately after you drink it. I made a cup for me during the night and the next day my cup smelled like vomit and it took two days washing it for it to go away xD

I actually haven’t had much a problem in that area. However I’m currently taking Vitamin A and Omega-3s in softgels (cod liver oil and fish oil), rather than combining them into the mixture, though I was doing that for a while.

I was researching emulsifiers, specifically lecithin, and well there was quite a bit more science there than I had time to go over. There are different ratings for emulsifiers that determine whether they will work in a solution of something for instance, or whether it’s the other way around and the something works in a solution of the emulsifier. It’s a bit tricky I haven’t looked into it much.

I did my own little experiment with a liquid lecithin I bought off the shelf at the supermarket and the amount of oil and water in my typical Soylent mixture - agitating it in my blender, and it went horribly. I either didn’t know what I was doing, expected it to do something it doesn’t, or it was the inappropriate product. Probably all three. From my little experiment I imagine its use is in homogenizing the oils, and not homogenizing the oils with the water (either that or I used the wrong product or made a mistake).

Also if you have the clever idea to add enough lecithin as an emulsifier to get the FDA’s daily value of choline, here’s some advice: do not! This is far too much and your stomach will roil like you’ll never believe and bathroom trips will be very unpleasant. Also liquid lecithin is probably one of the most difficult “liquids” I’ve ever cleaned, it’s like mayonnaise (which itself is a stable emulsion).

Excited to follow your experience with soylent Chris!

Thanks for copying your post here! :smile:

Hopefully my advice about olive oil helps with #1. I personally found the dark-bottled first cold pressed California olive oil I bought to taste far better than the other two I tried. More like olives, less like… cooking oil, if that makes sense.

No problem ^^

Hahaha well, I tried just pouring regular cooking oil and to me it tasted better. I’m just not sure if it’s a good idea to throw in just regular cooking oil.

I hardly notice the oil at all. How much do you use, and how large of a batch do you typically make at a time?

If the olive oil is a problem try a couple of different brands. I use powdered lecithin as an emulsifier, which really helps, but make sure to compensate for phosphorous and choline.

If it still isn’t going well try almonds for fat.

Ah in that case the fresher (and presumably better for you) olive oils will probably taste worse to you.

Oooh, powdered lecithin. I should try this, could you give us an idea on quantity? It’s difficult to know how much is necessary for it to be an effective emulsifier without doing a lot of research or experimentation into emulsification it feels like.

I use 2.4g, which I think I mostly eyeballed initially, but it works well enough.

Thanks for the tips :smiley: Will try those

Thanks Rob, I will be researching powdered lecithin and searching for a new olive oil source. The quality of the olive oil is probably entire problem for me in regard to taste, and I am sure an emulsifier will help tremendously too.

just noticed that rob IS scorpio

I already feel like this topic could explode, haha. Oh well it’s a discussion not a wiki. I wanted to mention my experience with Soylent and my skin.

I was using whey isolate at the beginning (Rob does not, FYI, last I know he uses a whey protein powder that is a mixture of concentrate and isolate). On soylent my skin was clearing up very nicely.

I then ran out and purchased the exact same brand but regular protein powder rather than isolate from the store (adjusting quantity as appropriate of course). My skin then reversed its improvement and I broke out. It took about a week each time (acne takes 1-2 weeks to actually surface once you’ve made a change, so this is about right). I’m back on isolate now and it’s going well. I will keep the community informed.

There are some connections between milk and acne, as well as protein powder and acne, and the isolate form seems to be the way to go if you have a sensitivity and/or bad skin.

Hey Chris, how are the cognitive effects for you? Do you notice increases in lucidity / clarity of thought? how about emotions? do you find fluctuations in mood?

The cognitive effects are extremely noticeable, in fact the most noticeable for me. I haven’t been getting enough sleep lately, and it normally has a massive impact on my work, I’m next-to-useless without a full night’s sleep.

On Soylent though? I’ve gone an entire week without getting enough sleep and I am nearly as focused and productive as my best day rested. For some reason my mind is able to operate at almost full capacity. Even when sleep deprived and clearly feeling it both physically, and in my head, I’m still incredibly productive and focused. I can hardly explain it. It may be the Potassium but that’s just a guess, read my post here: http://discourse.soylent.me/discourse/t/how-is-soylent-different-from-a-meal-supplement/58/3

My Soylent doesn’t have any nootropics (yet). Also I thought it might be placebo but it’s been 3 weeks now so I’m thinking not. :wink:

Absolutely zero fluctuations in mood. Then again I’ve never once considered my diet to have any impact on my mood (though it probably does). Well actually I have felt chipper and excited and like a little kid on a few occasions but I think that’s just me.

this is incredibly exciting to hear, making me want to move my 30day experiment to May instead of June! I am on a number of nootropics but feel they are under utilized with the lack of optimal diet that soylent seems to provide.

What nootropics do you plan on adding? I have been playing around with the racetam family for the last few years. tried modafinil last month, was not as impressed as the hype made it out to be.