Soylent & fatty liver

I have been recently diagnosed with fatty liver, which is ironic because I was never a drinker and I more or less kept a healthy diet throughout my life. Must me some genetic thing (my mother has the same). I am supposed now to keep low fat diet, avoid fried foods and so on.

My question is, how well Soylent fits with such condition? I read that the most energy in Soylent comes from fats but I don;t know what does that mean for the liver. Any input would be appreciated.

Do you just have a fatty liver or were you diagnosed with NAFLD? (Non alcoholic Fatty liver disease)

I’m very interest to see how this thread evolves… I had been pursuing an increasing lipid based metabolism and was happy to see Soylent raise the “healthy” fats in 2.0 to 47% (from 40% in 1.5).

I had never heard of FLD until @Tark brought it up, but after minimalist googling it looks like this could be a big issue for a significant population.

Bring Soylent’s nutrition info to your doctor and ask him/her. We are not doctors and are not qualified to give medical advice.

From what I understood the doctor, it is the NAFLD. Sorry for being so vague, I live in a country where health care is abysmal (I import Soylent via a reshipper) so obtaining any reliable information from a doctor is a miracle in itself. That’s also the reason I am asking about this in the forum first, before I go to the doctor with Soylent (the doctor will probably not understand English anyway so I will need to have everything translated first). I am not asking for medical advice on my specific case, but for pointers in good directions - supposedly other people needed this kind of information before so could share.

I don’t think eating fat is a factor in fatty liver disease. As far as i’m aware, it’s more connected with diabetes, cholesterol, genetics, and obesity.

Treatment is currently “eat healthy, exercise, and don’t drink”.

Soylent qualifies as “eat healthy”. It’s low in cholesterol, has a good glycemic index, and it’s easy to watch your potion size. It can’t do anything for your genetics or exercise though.

So in my unqualified opinion, it’s likely to help, at least somewhat.

Too much fructose can contribute to NAFLD.

Do you take a lot of ibuprofen? That can cause fatty liver disease similar to alcohol.

Not sure about the Soylent part though…

I would be wary of the maltodextrin

Maltodextrin has no fructose. Why would it affect the liver?

According to WebMD,

Even if you have nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, it can help to avoid drinking. If you are overweight or obese, do what you can to gradually lose weight – no more than 1 or 2 pounds a week.

Eat a balanced and healthy diet and get regular exercise. Limit high-carb foods such as bread, grits, rice, potatoes, and corn. And cut down on drinks with lots of sugar like sports drinks and juice.

So it looks like Soylent would be fine for you. By saying “low fat”, your doctor was probably aiming for “low cholesterol.”

Btw, I’m just a random teenager on the internet, so please don’t trust me.

This is a tricky question that I don’t think anyone can answer definitively for you as so much is still unknown in this area.

You might find this paper from 2013 useful, it analyzes a bunch of studies that have been done regarding NAFLD. The main recommendations are 1. limit total calories (either low carb or low fat diets, it didn’t find that all fats were problematic) 2. limit fructose 3. limit trans fats and saturated fat.

Soylent is great for #1 and #3, #2 is IMO a bit debatable because of isomatulose in soylent which gets broken down into half fructose. I think we decided in another thread that it’s something like the equivalent of 3 cups of sliced apples. Is that more than someone with NAFLD should eat? I have no idea.

One thing you could do if you’re able to, is get blood work done every few months to measure changes in liver function. Then you could try a high Soylent diet for a few months and see if it changes anything.

EDIT: to elaborate a little, it seems that cutting total calories (particularly if you’re overweight) is by far the most important thing, and exercise helps too. If you find it difficult to keep track of total calories, the benefit of being able to keep to an exact number of calories on Soylent probably outweighs the downside of a bit of fructose that you could otherwise avoid (but again, I can’t say for sure).

Perhaps staying away from sugar may help as sugar is metabolized into carbs and fat.

Check out this link which lists maltodextrin as one of the sugars to avoid

Too bad they don’t state why. Maltodextrin has no fructose, so I don’t see how it would ever affect the liver.

I just had blood work done and for the first time in 24 years, even though I was way skinnier, my cholesterol is down from “high” to “normal”, except my triglycerides went from low to high (210).

If possible heed no one on this thread, tho they, I’m sure, mean you well. There are many foods peep are saying to cut consumption down–but the probably need to be entirely eliminated. Go to an alternative doctor, get some proper tests, and be put on a true dietary program to get rid of this thing. Liver detox is essential. You need a pro’s help! Best wishes!

What exactly do you mean by “liver detox”? Please don’t answer with the word “toxins”, explicitly state what should be coming out

I don’t think there’s such a thing as an alternative doctor. Becoming an M.D. requires many years of thorough schooling and I’ve never seen a reiki healer come out the other side from that.

Don’;t be a nut. I’m talking about MDs who understand the truth about health. EOM