Soylent First Reactions thread

Yeah I was slightly disappointed in that department as well. It just seemed like it was going to require so much to get any flavor to really show up, that it would then be beating me over the head with PB flavor, and I didn’t really want that either. But the PB definitely works great in other non-soylent drinks, and I actually transitioned to hydrating some in a jar about once a week and just plain using it as my exclusive PB. Been pretty happy with it, though now that I have Soylent I’ve barely touched it - and PB has been a staple for me my entire life! Wild. =)

Every so often (maybe once or twice a year) I crave peanut butter so much that I’ll eat a spoonful right out of the jar. I tasted the powdered stuff and it was very good. It won’t go to waste. :slight_smile: I’ll probably still try it in my Soylent. Even if it takes a lot and gives it a strong flavor I imagine it’d be awesome blended with a banana.

Oh please do post how that goes – 99% sugar or not, Torani (and similar) syrups taking well to Soylent would be a useful discovery, since “flavoring beverages” is sort of their main cause.

Only thing is, if they follow the same pattern of having trouble getting through, they’re probably too expensive (and/or sugary) to really be a good option.

Yeah in my DIY mix I tried adding cinnamon and it didn’t do much. That’s kind of what I’m thinking oils and whole flavorings might punch through better instead of extracts.

To my way of thinking, since there’s so much water, using something like an oil might get the flavor to linger on the tastebuds longer. It’s a theory worth testing anyway.

I’m fairly certain they have some sugar free ones too, but they’re probably just full of some nasty artificial sweeteners in place of the sugar.

I’ve got the mint syrup, PB2 (powdered peanut butter), Skippy peanut butter (creamy), vanilla extract, almond extract (not sure why), and I’ll probably pick up a cart full of other stuff to try. I love the mango smoothies at Jamba Juice, so frozen mangoes are definitely going to happen. My magic bullet blender is gonna get some heavy use while I experiment with flavorings. Hell, I might even try some Cholula once just because. :slight_smile:

I’d also like to try baking with it and attempting to make pasta out of it. I’m not actually experienced at either, so I don’t have high hopes for that but it could be fun.

Hmm… I wonder if I could add plain gelatin and make something akin to tofu. I’m not sure I should, but now that I’ve thought of it I think I’ll have to try it. FOR SCIENCE! :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, giving up food in general sounds easy. Giving up spicy goodness … I need a way around that craving too.

Now I’m wondering what happens if you add the flavour to dry Soylent powder and then add water and mix, rather than adding flavour to existing Soylent liquid.

I THINK I’m going to be good with straight up soylent. I drink People Chow without additives and have never gotten sick of it after all.

Go team Irish! Bland food is #1!

Go very lightly with the mint oil or extract. You can quickly go from ok to cough syrup.

This is fascinating.

I’m very curious to see what end-user creativity will do now that Soylent is out. I have a feeling that, like most emerging technologies, it will go in directions the people at Rosa haven’t even considered yet… and I think that’s really the point.

Flavor resistance is interesting though I’m not really surprised. I’m planning on trying a few tablespoons of brown sugar and some cinnamon work out—I’m not really bothered by the idea of adding some sugar calories. :smiley:

Re: the powderyness: is at at least uniformly powdery?

I would say so, yes. And now that I’ve had a couple days with it, I’m not even sure I’d call it “powdery”, so much as it just has a texture that I’m not used to from things I drink. It’s also vastly improved with an overnight in the fridge.

I was using the blender for my DIY solylent and it was quite a pain. I found using a stick blender like this reduced my prep and cleanup time by 1/2, maybe even 2/3 of what it took with the blender:

Granted, it doesn’t blend quite a smoothly, but it’s good enough for me. I got the version with the accessories and I find the whisk very helpful in mixing the soylent powder with water, but since it sounds like official Soylent mixes better anyway, the basic model may be sufficient:

Good to know! Now that I’m on day 3, I find that my “SoylentMix-fu” is getting stronger. In particular, adding oil and a mixing ball, and letting the whole well-shaken concoction sit in the fridge for at least several hours, has made a big difference. Neither of us has any objection to drinking it at all, and as I mentioned in my latest video the aftertaste is really very nice. So yeah, I would say that official Soylent doesn’t really need a blender, unless you’re planning to add other ingredients like fruit etc.

Do you mind if I ask how much canola oil are you adding per pouch?

About 3.25 tablespoons per pitcher (per pouch)

Here’s my routine, I do it at night after having my last serving.

1. Wash pitcher by hand.
  2. Half fill pitcher with water.
  3. Cut a 2 inch opening in a top corner of a Soylent pack.
  4. Feed the Soylent into the pitcher.
  5. Close tight, shake for about 30 seconds.
  6. Add oil and the rest of the water.
  7. Shake about 10 seconds.
  8. Leave overnight.

I always shake before pouring because the olive oil comes out of suspension. Leaving it overnight leaves it much smoother and colder. It also means breakfast ready in the morning. I also chew gum after every glass. I love gum.

Awesome! Thanks. I’ll give that a try.

One last question, is Canola preferable to you than olive oil? I have oo on hand. <—my lazy side.

Olive oil is excellent, but is lower in omega-3. The need to include fish oil is higher if you go for olive oil.

Right. Got it. Thanks.

@vanclute, curious why you didn’t mention the Mexican food you ate last night in the last video.