Soylent for animals?

When can we expect to see a formula for cats and dogs?

How about livestock?

How about migratory animals?

Partner up with municipalities, make Soylent feeding stations and send me pictures.

Okay thanks.

Most animals already have solid Soylent equivalents. Dog kibble, primate chow, etc. Before Soylent I ate primate chow, being a primate myself.

Actually, can anyone make an educated guess as to how healthy Soylent would be for a cat? Not 100% – maybe the equivalent of 20-30% of its daily calories.

Drinking at least one Soylent a day has effectively “cured” my IBS. Friends of mine have a cat that suffers from severe IBS – I know it’s a crapshoot*, but I wondered if they could try feeding it a bit of Soylent and see if it benefits.

• Pun not intended, but too appropriate to rephrase.

Lol well I’m not asking anyone to try Soylent on their animals, with dogs I’m sure there’s way too many carbs and not enough protein. But if a ground up formula could be made for certain species (or classes of species), it might have a positive health effect on whatever level of ecosystem it’s applied to.

It would not be healthy for a cat.

In nature, cats are obligate carnivores. That means they lack the means to digest or use some of the nutrients supplied by plants, so for them, feeding on animal products is an unavoidable obligation.

Processing certain plant products can make them nutritionally useful for cats, but that’s only possible with the specific intent of doing so in the processing… And that’s not done with Soylent.

For one simple example, cats need Vitamin A from their food. We don’t; we get beta carotene from food, and convert it into vitamin A. Cats can’t do that.

Mice and birds can, though. After mice and birds convert beta carotene to vitamin A, the cat eats them, and gets the vitamin A it needs.

I also recall reading that cats don’t suffer some of the problems that we might suffer from an all-animal diet because of their kidneys. Compared to their bodyweight, their kidneys are many times larger than ours. This is how they deal with the boost in metabolic byproducts of eating that kind of diet. But even with those large kidneys, in captivity, most cats (including the big cats) live long enough to eventually die of kidney failure.

An omnivorous animal would have a better shot, but I’d stick with products designed for them, specifically. Certain ingredients cause problems for certain species.

Cats have such incredible kidneys they can drink saltwater and survive. For a time.

Holy crap. Really?

Never heard that…

Here’s a secondary source. www.biology.stackexchange.com/questions/40554/is-it-true-that-cats-can-drink-sea-salted-water

There’s no evidence as far as I can find that they can live exclusively on salt water, but many studies show their kidneys can tolerate much higher salt concentrations than any human, so a supplementary “emergency” salt water intake might stretch their survival in difficult droughts or lack of prey

Yeah, I was just reading that. This sounds about right (from that page) :

The ocean is about 3.5% salt. The 1.37 value for cats came from kittens eating a diet that was about 2.5% salt, but another note in the book says that cats can safely eat a diet that is 3.8% salt, though they don’t like it. I can’t find the original reference (“Berger, 1979”) for this claim, but I am pretty sure that this was with ad libitum water so they could flush out extra salt. If so, cats would not be able to tolerate sea water unless they had another source of water as well.

It’s often said that wild cats can get most of their water needs from their prey’s blood. It’s also sometimes said (incorrectly) that the salt concentration of blood is like that of seawater; this is not true (blood is more like 1% or less NaCl) but it may be the source of the statement.

Very, very, cool. Thanks!