Soylent for camping / survival?

Hi

Just wanted to ask if Soylent can be used outdoors as a camping food. Will temperature variations or humidity affect the ingredients?

Also how long can you store it before it spoils and can you substitute the oil with other types - i.e. olive oil etc?

Thanks in advance.

Soylent on Backpacking Trips

Hi. I have heard it said that Soylent powder is nearly indestructible, and good for years generally. Maybe only months if left in the sun etc. I have heard that once water is added, it tends to go rancid in between 3-5 days if chilled, and less if not. The oil is just a mix of canola and fish oil and you can probably substitute if you want, but if you use olive oil, you will ruin the omega 3-6 ratio. maybe a mix of olive, flax seed and fish oil? But the oil should last for quite a while too

You have to remember this product is made of other products so you would have to search every product manually.

I’m looking forward to using Soylent for backpacking. You’ll need water and a means to mix and clean your container, but it should allow you to forgo both dehydrated food and stove/fuel. From what I understand, you’ll also want to supplement with salt while on the trail, as there isn’t enough salt in Soylent for strenuous activity.

I would think it would be perfect for those things. Ever tasted water that was detoxed with Katadyn Tablets or the like? Not very tasty. I imagine mixing it with soylent would taste better. Plus they are sealed in airtight and one would assume water tight daily bags. You could bury them for protection in a survival situation outdoors.

There was another thread on this already. (I posted in it, as this is one of the main reasons I want Soylent, being an avid backpacker)

Seems like Soylent is the hardcore backpacker’s dream come true. :]

It’s super easy to carry and store unlike other food :smile: Perfect for traveling to other countries where food is sketchy.

Though if the food is sketchy, the water is probably sketchy, and making soylent with bad water defeats the point

bottled water should work…probably $$ though…

I fully intend on using Soylent to hike across the USA.

I am planning a 60 day expedition around India at the end of the year, and am hoping to take copious amounts of DIY ingredients and travel with 2 weeks worth in my backpack at a time. I will post the rest on to the various cities I pass through and have a DIY mix day every few weeks. I would take the real McCoy but I doubt it will be available internationally by then. It’s going to be interesting getting through customs with 32 kg of powdered foodstuffs, which is why I will be taking unopened individual unmixed ingredients and mixing when I get there. I plan to go about 75% soylent and enjoy Indian food the rest of the time.

Easily bring water purification tablets. Done and done.

does that work?

I know this works REALLY well, but $$.

http://www.lifesaverusa.com/products/lifesaver-bottle.htm

http://www.lifesaverusa.com/images/lifesaver-bottle.jpg

Iodine tablets aren’t ideal for long term use, but yeah, they work. You just need to do a rough filter first for any particulates.

I was thinking katadyn tablets. They are safer than iodine tablets and the like and they have a shelf life of 5 years.

Im not sure how effective it is. I am by no means an expert.

Usually for us, cleaning a container meant pouring a bit of (potable) water in it, shaking, and then drinking it. Repeat if necessary.

Filters and UV light are the typical methods used by backpackers for making water safe. Tablets introduce bad flavors to the water and are less effective than these options. Backpacking web sites always have sections in which water safety is addressed, and they will list various products that can be used to remove parasites from water. (Gear is quite the topic of conversation among hikers.)

If you can’t keep it cold, you definitely want to mix smaller batches, and drink it when you make it. Unrefrigerated soylent goes quickly after rehydration.

And don’t drink it from anything with a built - in straw. It doesn’t rinse off easily enough.

I’d definitely trial run it before a big trip.

I bought a lifesaver bottle to use on the trip, and I plan to use it for making up soylent in per meal batches, into a 600ml shaker bottle, which I will rinse out in between meals using sterile water from the lifesaver bottle. I will probably be using Aussie soylent as their premium recipe does not need oil, and they do 1/4 day packs which I think will be less messy than trying to reseal a day pouch.
I am still working out the logistics, but plan to video blog the trip as I go, so no doubt there will be a few entries featuring the process.