Soylent for camping / survival?

Another reason, beside water treatment, to consume warm Soylent is to keep it from freezing. I’ve been on winter trips where the time from boiling to freezing is short.

I think I’m going to go with the official version of Soylent at work and try a DIY for the trail with a higher calorie content. Can someone recommend one to try? I’ve been sorting through the 3000+ list and it’s a bit daunting.

I guess it depends on your definition of backpacking. if you mean hiking overland by foot then no, probably not. where I come from thats called hiking or tramping. for me, “backpacking” is traveling, and living out of a backpack, which may or may not include walking. it might mean traveling by bus or train. for me, I expect 2000kcal (2 million calories) will be ample for my trip, as I will be traveling by train.

it would be trajic to travel to the land of masala dosa, samosa and naan bread, only to ignore the delicacies. so no, I will not be existing only on Soylent. I expect I will have a decent meal every few days, if it looks like the food has been freshly prepared.
my main reason for the soylent is the 12 hour train rides, and logistics of finding food in odd places at appropriate times.

what I am hoping to do is travel with nominally 10 days worth of soylent in my backpack (5kgs) and expect that to cover about 2 weeks, ie 4 days I will be eating native. I will punctuate my journey by sending on 10 days worth of food to places I know I will be staying, and I will do this 4 or 5:times covering the 60 day period. if for some reason it doesn’t arrive, I may have to go a week or two on local food till I reach the next drop point… which is better than lugging 30kgs around with me.

2 Likes

I seriously think you should try using regular Soylent and augmenting with your oil of choice. Fats are very good long-term hiking fuel, it’s why oily nuts are excellent trail food.

Each liquid ounce of oil adds 248 calories of slow-burning fuel to your trekking diet. It’s pretty easy to bring a bottle of oil and augment your Soylent.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/7947/2

If you want to bring up the carbs, too, you can bring and add extra whole oat flour.

Both are easy to buy.

I took regular Soylent with me backpacking last weekend. It worked perfectly. It was a really short trip though (only 5 miles per day). This stuff is great for backpacking. It’s easy and I was done with my meal before everyone else caught up for lunch.

My future trips will be longer. next weekend I plan to hike about 16 miles per day. We’ll see how that goes. As it is, I plan to drink it when I feel hungry in snack fashion rather than like a meal. My body knows when it’s hungry.

Is there any risk in drinking more than a day’s worth of Soylent in a single day? My thought is, I’m probably using more nutrients of everything on the trail.

4 Likes

Consuming more than one bag a day is about as dangerous as eating more than 2000 calories of muggle food in a day.

3 Likes

That’s what I want to hear - great! I’ll be using it for a few trips next year - looking forward to it.

Thanks for the info.

1 Like

How did you prepare it while backpacking?

I broke the amounts up into single meal servings before I left home. I left the oil in the original container and guessed at the amount. I mixed it briefly before consuming in a Nalgene bottle and a mixer ball. I just guessed at the amount of water. Nalgenes are graduated but mine is wrapped in duct tape for general use.

I used it again last weekend. I hiked with a heavy pack over rough country. I went 17 miles on Saturday at a 2.3 mph pace (including lunch and breaks) and Sunday I went 12 miles at a 2.6 mph pace. I felt great each day.

2 Likes

When I travel I also estimate the oil. I’ve found 1-2 caps of oil is about right. Although with the new smaller oil bottles I’ll need to recalculate.

I posted a thread earlier on Soylent for backpacking. I concurr with a poster above, who said most backpackers run at a caloric deficit. I think that is an issue with Soylent on a backpacking trip, I’d boost how much you drink, add sodium (everyone agrees there isn’t enough) and something to add fiber. My largest problem using Soylent on a three day trip exclusive which was my test, was wicked runs.

1 Like

I plan on getting a camelback bladder specifically to be used with soylent + extra water for when I’m doing super long hikes during the summer.

Man, IDK, that wouldn’t be fun to clean*… and with the thickness of it, there could be issues with the mouthpiece leaking or clogging. I’d stay away from that type of bladder for Soylent. (I’ve been using CamelBaks for years) A collapsible bottle would be your best bet, IMHO. It’s how I’ll be drinking it. This sort of thing:

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/ca/platypus/bottles-and-storage/category

• I mean, you could use tabs, but still that’s an unnecessary added PIA and doesn’t address the tube/mouthpiece. Among other things…
2 Likes

One concern that comes to mind with regard to putting Soylent in a CamelBak in the summer is how long it would take to go bad in the heat.

I don’t know the answer to that, but it would be a concern of mine.

I suppose you could extend that by putting ice in the bladder, assuming you’re just talking about a long day hike.

1 Like

I was gonna experiment… $30 is a small enough amount that I’m willing to gamble on it. I’ll be diluting it 50% with water … so it’ll be fluid enough to go through the mouthpiece… and Malachi raises a valid point, so I’ll probably throw some ice in as well. Heck, might as well make it mostly ice :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Let us know how your experiences work out. A lot of us are keen to use Soylent in this type of setting.

Personally, I’ll just mix & consume as I need it, probably 3 to 4 times a day. My CamelBak will always be reserved for water or beer only.

For kicks, here’s a pic from my last backpacking adventure. All alone in grizzly country: :smile:

Where I camped.
View from summit seen in 1st pic

3 Likes

Holy crap, those pictures are beautiful.

1 Like

Is this in Canada? Where?

Valhalla Provincial Park, BC, Canada. Pix don’t do it justice, believe me. (I actually live nearby.) 2 more, just because:

Pic 1
Pic 2

Anyway, don’t wanna get too off topic. I just can’t wait to be able to rely on Soylent for most of my backpacking food needs. I’ll supplement it with a few Clif bars, most likely, and probably 1 dehydrated hot meal per 3 days, something like that. As much as I like Soylent, there’s still something to be said for a nice hot meal of pasta & meat while watching the sun go down over the Rockies. :sunny: But Soylent just seems so ideal - less weight and bulk to pack, with complete nutrition, to boot. :smile:

2 Likes

I am skeptical of using Soylent in a hydration system, I tend not to even put gatorade mix in mine as it cloggs it up.

But heck, we posting photos?

2 Likes