Soylent for certain diseases possible?

The specific disease that comes to mind is Poly-cystic Kidney Disease.

My Grandfather, Father, and Brother all have this disease, and my great grandmother died to it. Both my father and grandfather have to survive on medical equipment because of the state of their kidneys.

Now, this disease can be controlled to a point that it never rears its ugly head. My brother, while having it, maintains a very careful diet with extremely low phosphorus and zero caffeine intake among other things.

Now, I’m no genius, but I’m assuming “the perfect diet” that Soylent provides would not cause the general overdose of phosphorus, caffiene, and the other nutrients like traditional food and drink do. Is this correct, or would something like PKD need a specially tailored formula to help neutralize the effects of PKD?

Yours seems like a very specific use case. If you can’t even ingest caffeine, I’d be careful about something like Soylent. I mean, a slip-up by the manufacturers with, say, phosphorus and we can toughen it out. You, OTOH…

Also, you don’t know anything about the nootropics and the current formula.
If I was you I would just wait for more information on the formula and/or a customizable Soylent.

Everyone pray for that they won’t make the formula a secret Edit: they won’t.

Just on the Nootropics point, Rob posted somewhere else that the initial run will not have added nootropics, and that later on they should become an optional addon.

He also posted that once they actually finish the formula (optimize it for industrial manufacturing) he plans to open source the formula.

I am a nephrology nurse with over 37 years of experience and mom of one of the founders. He asked me to reply to this discussion.The nutrients are no different than what you find in dairy, meat or vegetables. For people with CKD the recommended daily intake for protein is 0.8Gm/Kg/day (NKF KDOQI Nutritional Guidelines). So I would recommend tailoring your Soylent intake to limit the protein to the recommended 0.8Gm/Kg/day. The rationale is by limiting protein intake in CKD will slow the progression of kidney disease since protein metabolite elimination is one of the primary function of the kidneys. As for the phosphorous- If you are on a binder you should take it with your Soylent just like you would with any meal. Hope this helps
For clarification the protein recommendation above is for those not on dialysis. For ESRD on dialysis at least 1.0 Gm/Kg/day

I imagine a person with a disease could roll their own soylent with the correct amounts of everything for their disease. I could see it being beneficial, since they would have such precise control over the levels of the problematic nutrients. I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice.

Well, not quite. My mother also has poly-cystic kidney disease and boy, it sure has made it’s presence known.

I too, was curious about the idea of creating a custom formula for her. Unfortunately I would have really no idea where to start when creating the formula, nor do I have the luxury of experimenting with her(and the formula) in the same manner that Rob did with himself.

It is not that easy since there really is not a “good” starting point that I have seen. I have seen many DIY-ers that post their progress; unfortunately, there is a big difference between them and the ill. Their healthy body is more tolerant and will likely manage and slight overdose or under-dose of a nutrient with relative ease. The ill however, could become worse, potentially killing them. I am sure you can recognize our concerns when people suggest “just make it yourself”.

@timrizk: That is a very good point; I see the gravity of the issue. I see that in that situation it would be a job for medical professionals.

While I am a soylent user and believe in a great product for the general population I would suggest anyone with serious medical conditions consult with their healthcare professional first. This is the same advice you would receive if you are considering any diet or exercise regime. While the full formula proportions do not appear here, there is a list of ingredients and I would at least start there.