Soylent for weight lifting/running

I’m a little anxious right now, and was hoping my questions could be answered!

I weight lift about 5 times a week for about an hour each week. I am also trying to put on weight. So, I try to eat at a calorie surplus ( I am unsuccessful almost everyday ). Some days I also do mid-distance sprint training. Probably 4 times a week.

Now, I know Soylent doesn’t have enough calories for me to gain weight, especially with all this exercise, but is it possible for me to supplement Soylent with other things? Can I supplement it with weight gainer? More food? If I supplement it with other things do I run the risk of having too much of certain vitamins/minerals ( or whatever else could be potentially harmful if consumed in excess )?

If Soylent is not a viable option for me, is there an alternative? I have looked at some DIY soylents for weight lifting but none have any comments about their effectiveness, and I don’t particular want to mix the stuff myself (although I will if I have to).

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Depends on how much of a surplus you require and in what.

One possibility is mixing soylent with milk instead of water. I don’t know how much water is required for a daily portion but let’s assume a quart, which in whole milk is 592 calories and 31g protein. Here a gallon of whole milk costs $3.50 at the convenience store, so that adds ~88 cents to your daily cost.

In Theory (I live in europe, so there’s still time to figure it out): I am doing lifting two times a week and i think you’ll have to modify Soylent in two ways: More Protein and more Calories.

Soylent is a perfect source for all the micro-nutrients. You just have to up the macros, and that’s easy

Add some Protein Powder - it’s cheap! - to your shake. As for the calories. Maybe noodles or oat flour

I would recommend supplementing macros, with an eye to electrolytes, but make sure you don’t go over the RDA. There are protein isolate drinks available that might be suitable. Overall, make sure that you don’t go over RDA on fat soluble micros, and you should be fine. It would be worthwhile to talk it over with a professional nutritionist (just make sure they’re aware of Soylent more than peripherally, otherwise they may try to change your course in ignorance.)

From the Reddit AMA:

The comment system on the DIY is incredibly underused. I wouldn’t take the lack of comments too seriously in one way or another. Take a look at how often a formula has been starred or favorited instead.

While I’m planning to try Soylent, I have a feeling I’m just going to end up using my DIY formula instead exactly because of my strength training routine. Rob and Co. currently have Soylent designed for the average person. Unfortunately for us, the average person doesn’t exercise 5 times a week. I have a hunch that even with adding an extra scoop or two of protein to Soylent, people exercising as often as you (and wanting to see results) will be under served. Your body will need additional micros and minerals (i.e. Vit. C, Vit. D, potassium, magnesium, calcium, zinc) AS WELL AS additional carbs, proteins, AND fats. As counterproductive as it may sound, if you want a liquid diet to be as efficient and effective as can be, you’ll need to design it yourself. I don’t think Soylent is going to cut it (at least for now).

What I suggest you do is to calculate your caloric needs (carbs, proteins, and fats) here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

And take a look at these articles: http://www.getbig.com/articles/faq-min1.htm and http://www.getbig.com/articles/faq-vit1.htm

Finally, I’d personally recommend my own DIY soylent with a caveat. I’ve crafted this for my own needs. I have a BMR of about 1900. Yours will surely be more or less. Figure out your own personal needs first before adding or subtracting calories.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Starting with real Soylent as your base might be the best and easiest option.

I am going to disagree with using soylent as your base being the easiest option. If you are going to have to mix and supplement it, why not just make your own? It will be cheaper, and it will be easier to dial in exactly what you need.

I have been making my own and using it almost exclusively for about a month along the doing “Starting Strength” at the gym. I just dialed down my daily calories from ~3600 calories to ~3200 because I was gaining about a pound more each week than I wanted to. Overall, I feel great. I mix 5 days worth in a five gallon bucket, and consume 750 grams of my powder each day…

Cheaper, custom, available now.

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/1st-run

It will definitely be cheaper with the amount of calories you’ll need.

@marclais hate to offer advice when it’s not asked, but you’re taking in a ton of Iron: “a build up of excess iron can cause organ damage such as cirrhosis of the liver and heart failure.” Your calcium also seems a bit high. Please be careful with your minerals!

@cheapskate88 Thanks for the feedback. I was actually just looking at my iron intake and researching toxicity the day before you wrote this. I appreciate the link… it is better than anything I was able to find quickly.

at 30 mg a day I am not really that worried. The article you link to suggests that an average person should be able to tolerate up to 45 mg each day. Combine that with the fact that I am considerably larger than average (6’6", 210 lbs), and I am comfortable with where I am at. Still, I will take note of my Iron levels when I get some blood work done here in the near future.

@marclais Awesome. I’d actually really appreciate an update once you get that blood work.

I had added a Iron supplement to an earlier version of my soylent because I thought the phytic acid was hurting my mineral absorption. But after reading a bit more and getting great hemoglobin results, I decided against it. The risk of toxicity was too high for me.

I’ll be getting a fasting blood test next month, which should paint a better picture of my mineral levels.

If you’re worried about iron, drink more espresso! The polyphenols in coffee oil bind up excess iron. I’m glad this thread had posters. I’ll probably be supplementing my batch of Soylent with whey powder. It’s really hard to gain weight as a distance runner.

Hi @cheapskate88! Your DIY soylent is the one I intended on using. Actually, it is the one I will be using. My BMR is 1850, so very close to yours.

Some questions about DIY soylent for anyone that can answer:

How would I go about making an entire weeks worth at once?

What is the best way to mix this together?

Besides a scale, is there anything else I’ll need to mix this stuff?

Thank you all for posting. This has really helped me out.

That’s great! I’m glad you found something on which to base your own soylent. Sorry there aren’t any comments or summaries about it. Maybe one day I’ll get around to it… It’s a constant work-in-progress (as I feel it should always be).

I make a weeks worth every Sunday. I measure out the per day ingredients into 7 gallon plastic bags and toss them in the fridge. I blend one day worth of ingredients the night before and measure out the soylent in 3 blenderball bottles. In the morning everything is chilled, soaked, and ready to drink.

I have a large blender, but I still have to make one day’s worth of soylent in two batches. I put the first half of soylent in a pitcher, and then blend the second half. Makes about 84 ounces.

To get started you might also want to invest in measuring spoons. Once you feel confident with your scale and measurement skills, you can do it by hand.

Hope that helps!

Bump…

I’m not a crazy lifter (3-4 hard sessions a week), but I’ve been eating some additional food with soylent simply to maintain my weight I probably eat 750-1000 extra calories of whatever is around… sunflower seeds… beer…ramen noodles.

Will substituting in higher protein foods and protein powder improve my strength and body fat %? Does anyone here (even those that didn’t do soylent) start protein powders think they improved markedly beyond what a placebo would give them? If it helps…my stats are 180lbs, 6 ft, 10% body fat.