Soylent ice cream (and jam!) is actually a thing

The other day I noticed this on the shelf at Whole Foods: NuScoop ice cream.

It has added whey protein, and 20-50% DV of all vitamins and minerals per 180-calorie serving.

Seriously, people buy this? :open_mouth: Is it a new product, inspired by Soylent?

Then I came across this, the same idea with jam and almond butter: Kalot superfood.

(Nutrition Facts visible here)

I’m just intrigued. It’s obviously pretty gimmicky, but is this a trend related to Soylent? Or has this sort of thing been around for a while?

Does it seem useful? Or unnecessary? Do the people who buy this know about Soylent? Have you heard of it?

I can’t tell if this is just a little experiment undertaken by a few obscure companies, or the start of something bigger. What do you think?

I am simultaneously surprised and not surprised. Everything at Whole Foods has some sort of gimmick attached to it as justification for the exorbitant prices they charge.

• I hadn’t seen either one before.
  • I’d probably try products like this, if they were executed better (the almond butter is “50% daily value of vitamins” but not minerals, and the ice cream is full of sugar, half the fat is saturated, and at a glance choline is only at 10% of the daily value). I suspect Rosa Labs will offer more/better products before any “normal” food company.
  • They remind me more of fortified foods than Soylent, but I see the connection.

Actually, I’d probably try the fruit and almond butter solely because it sounds tasty. :yum:

I’ve been expecting a big name to jump into the market. Hopefully Rosa Labs can get a huge market before that happens. Soylent has been a huge plus in my life and I would love for Rosa Labs to be huge.

I thought that myself a while ago, but would a big food company really want to enter Soylent’s market? They’d be competing with all other food products (including their own). I don’t think those huge food companies have the right culture to even attempt it, but if they succeeded in creating a popular, cheap, nutritionally complete food, they’d probably only succeed in shrinking their profits. I think in the long run it would be the correct choice, but at first glance it may seem unappealing; keeping the status quo is probably much more attractive to them.

The thing that most concerns me about products like NuScoop, of course is the macro ratios, and having too much sugar while not including enough fiber or electrolytes like potassium. One of the unique things that soylent brought to the table (market?) is a focus on macros and actually including fiber and stuff like potassium that you don’t normally get in multivitamins.

Say what you want about the reduced fiber or protein of recent Soylent iterations, or the increase in “sugar”, it’s still way better and coming from a completely different viewpoint than the rest of what’s out there. And I think a lot of the qualitative benefits that people experience with soylent comes from these things like reduced sugar and better overall macro ratios, not just micronutrients. And I really doubt that an enhanced ice cream is going to change how you feel in this way.

But I could be wrong. I’m curious.

That’s a really good point, @wezaleff, and hopefully for the small companies currently in this space that will be true for a while! :stuck_out_tongue: Not that having the support of large companies would necessarily be bad for this… movement (if that’s what you’d call it) but I really don’t trust them to do it right. That is, they’ll sell whatever they think people will buy, and they’re definitely not leading with an idealistic mission like Rosa Labs.