Soylent is SOOO filling

I find Soylent to be ridiculously filling. I’ve started having a single scoop at a time and spreading it out over a few hours.

For example:

Breakfast - 9:00 AM — Single scoop (250 cals) + Coffee

Lunch - 12:00 PM — Single scoop (250 cals)

Snack - 3:30 PM — Single scoop (250 cals)

Dinner - Large real food dinner

Has anyone else experience Soylent like this?

Note: I’m a relatively new user. I’ve had it for months but have only started using it regularly the last couple weeks and have started a subscription.

Many people do breakfast / lunch and a “normal” dinner.

If you have family, dinner is usually the meal that you spend together, so it may not be socially acceptable to drink your meal unless they do it too. whoops, I misinterpreted the question.

Yes, it is filling; I remember about 600 calories was more filling than 1000 of “regular” food.

This is actually somewhat of a problem for me, and I suspect others as well. Drinking 1k calories worth of soylent makes me somewhat uncomfortably full, and leaves me with almost no appetite for dinner until 10 PM. And I’m supposed to get 2k calories just to maintain my weight, which isn’t that high to begin with.

What version do you have? How do you prepare it? How long do you let it sit after preparing it? How quickly do you try to drink it?

What version do you have?

1.4 and 1.5

How do you prepare it?

I usually put two scoops of powder and 4 scoops of water.

How long do you let it sit after preparing it?

Sometimes I use cold water and drink it immediately, sometimes I let it sit out overnight in the fridge. Usually consumed within 24 hours if sitting in fridge.

How quickly do you try to drink it?

I sip at it for about an hour.

====

I’ve recently switched to a single scoop of soylent plus two scoops water and then just doing that again later. This means that for breakfast and lunch, if I JUST do soylent, I end up having soylent 4-times throughout the morning/afternoon.

And this is fine. I just never expected to be sooo full from a liquid.

See, this is just odd to me with no context. I consume a bag a day (2000 cal). I do 500 cal for breakfast, lunch, 2:30 snack and then dinner. For extra protein I add a scoop of Whey Protein Isolate and also have canned chicken with lunch and dinner. The meals are satisfying but not filling in that they don’t leave me feeling like I overate. I can still eat more food though but that is not hunger. I am used to, pre-Soylent, having large portions and overeating. Also, I consume my meals in about 10 min or less. I can’t imagine taking an hour for only 250 cal.

But all of the above doesn’t have very much in the way of context until you learn that I am 6’3" 280 lbs and do Crossfit twice a week. This means that I am actually eating below my maintenance amount because I am trying to lose weight.

So, to help us out with context, what is your height, weight, gender and exercise levels?

I’m 27 at 274 pounds and about 6 ft 1 inches - male. I don’t really exercise.

I also am overweight.

There is one thing though - per serving of soylent, I typically drink 24 oz’s of water. That may be partly why I feel soooo full and satisfied (at least, in the morning).

I start to drink less water as the day goes on.

I usually drink 3 500cal servings of Soylent a day plus some snacks like popcorn or pretzels at night. I recently decided I should try to increase to 3 666cal meals but I found it was too much for me. It made me a bit gassy/burpy and I generally didn’t feel great so I’ve gone back to the three 500cal meals a day.

I’ve always been a picky eater and consumed small meals so this isn’t that surprising to me. I don’t get much exercise and seem to maintain my weight at about 205lbs at 6’ 2".

EDIT: I should mention that I make one pitcher at a time so I’m using 1.6 liters of water to get to a final volume of 2 liters.

Have you tried drinking the extra water in between meals instead of with them?

I find it interesting that some people, like the OP and others, report Soylent as being super filling while others feel like they are starving to death.

@Robyn Does letting it soak overnight help? Have you tried mixing it in a blinder?

I just use a blender bottle. Also overnight makes it gross to me…I prefer it thicker. But the overnight type is still filling.

I don’t feel like I’m starving, but I do wish it were more filling for me. I use a slightly more diluted mix (2 & 1/2 cups per serving vs. 2 cups) and I still down the serving in 10 minutes or so and could comfortably consume another 20-ounce serving immediately afterwards.

Do you find this with both 1.4 and 1.5? I know that the consistency of 1.4 changed quite a bit by letting it sit overnight, but I don’t think it changes as much with 1.5.

Casssax, your response to that quoted text represents such a missed opportunity. So hard to resist responding to that quote myself…

@Robyn, do you drink it unchilled? One of the benefits to letting it sit overnight is that it mixes more evenly. I find that there are less lumps and unmixed powder balls overnight. As much as I love Soylent, I had it earlier this week immediately after preparing a pitcher of it and … uuuuugh, no, just nope. Some lumps, was warm (which is never good for this type of thing IMO) and generally unpleasant.

Do you find this with both 1.4 and 1.5? I know that the consistency of 1.4 changed quite a bit by letting it sit overnight, but I don’t think it changes as much with 1.5.

I perfer 1.4 and found that it was better overnight than 1.5.

do you drink it unchilled? One of the benefits to letting it sit overnight is that it mixes more evenly. I find that there are less lumps and unmixed powder balls overnight. As much as I love Soylent, I had it earlier this week immediately after preparing a pitcher of it and … uuuuugh, no, just nope. Some lumps, was warm (which is never good for this type of thing IMO) and generally unpleasant.

I use cold water and find that this is cold enough for me. I also use a blender bottle and find that deals with most of the chunks.