Soylent is WAY too high in fat , according to FDA guidelines

Soylent is WAY too high in fat , according to FDA guidelines

The older versions had 20g fat per serving, which was already too high, especially since the average male would drink 5 bottles a day if they were to drink soylent exclusive.

current verion has 24g of fat per serving, which according to their own nutrition facts label, makes up 31% of daily value. It is important to remember that the daily value of fat by the fda is the upper limit of fat intake, so even just 3 bottles a day will make you almost surpass your daily upper intake of fat, even though you have just taken in 1200 calories! Soylent is crazy high in fat. At 5 bottles a day, which equals to 2000 calories, which is what the DV is based on, you would have taken 31% * 5 = 155% of DV fat. That is 55% above upper limit of daily fat intake, as per FDA recommendations, and according to THEIR OWN NUTRITION FACTS LABEL . This is stupid. You had one job, Soylent. It was to get nutrition right. The FDA already spelled it all out for you. All you had to do was crunch simple numbers. and you got it all wrong.

from https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/11208-fat-what-you-need-to-know#:~:text=type%20of%20fat.-,Total%20fat,because%20they%20provide%20health%20benefits.:
" The dietary reference intake (DRI) for fat in adults is 20% to 35% of total calories from fat. That is about 44 grams to 77 grams of fat per day if you eat 2,000 calories a day. It is recommended to eat more of some types of fats because they provide health benefits "

5 bottles of soylent would be 120 grams of fat for 2000 calories, way surpassing this recommended upper limit of 77 grams of fat a day.

FIX IT, SOYLENT. NOW! or you risk getting lawsuits. Your promises about complete and balanced nutrition have people relying on your product for their nutrition. This overload of fat, according to many studies, will cause chronic illness.

EDIT: soylent’s articles about high fat in the diet only justifies fat (up to the upper limit as per FDA guidlines) in the diet, which we all know is essential. it does NOT, however, justify intaking significantly more fat than the FDA suggests. They seem to imply that they know better than the FDA and the decades of academic research that goes into the upper fat intake recommendation. Such that 2000 calories of their products don’t just slightly go above such suggestions, but 55% above. “The high fat (or, more accurately, overly high fat as defined by the FDA), is here to stay, Soylent”? well that means I will leave as a consumer. I want evidence-based nutrition. Also, as if putting “phD” at the end of the article is supposed to override all the numerous Phds in academia that are responsible for FDA recommendations, the PhD is in Chemistry, not nutrition.

There’s a lot of debate about the best levels of fat vs. carbohydrates. The FDA leans towards high carbs, the Atkins people are way on the high fat end, Soylent is somewhere in the middle. I can say that for me, for the past few years, I’ve been eating Soylent for every breakfast and must lunches, and my health and weight have never been better.

5 Likes

Same. I’ve been drinking Soylent for 40-70% of my meals for about 6 years now and have never been healthier. I’ve maintained a steady healthy weight the entire time, my blood pressure used to be slightly high and is now good, and many of my other markers have improved as well.

4 Likes

The high fat level in Soylent was chosen purposefully with health in mind. It would probably be cheaper to replace fat calories with carbs, but Soylent wants a healthier product.

The FDA daily values numbers are not absolute truth. They are rather conservative and influenced by businesses. (It was difficult to add “added sugar” to the nutrition label despite sugar being harmful and addictive.)

The idea that “fat makes you fat” is the prevailing and traditional belief, but it’s mostly just that, a belief. Fat gives you satiety, and while it has higher calorie density, you will end up eating less of it.

3 Likes

I’m pushing 70. I buy 10 cases a month, drink four bottles a day for last four years. All I know is I never have to worry about where I’m going to get something to eat in the course of my workday and I don’t get hungry. I’ve lost 38 pounds and gone down four pant sizes. I have never felt better or been as smoothly regular in my life. I get a rainbow blood panel regularly and all my levels stay excellent. I’ve been able to get off a high cholesterol statin I took for years before I started eating Soylent. So while I appreciate the concerns expressed by the poster I can only say… it works for me.

4 Likes

Angela, Rather than shouting at the internet. Don’t consume Soylent. Easy fixed.

Have a nice day.

This has come up in the forum before. I may have brought it up myself. Soylent does have higher fat than the FDA recommends and more than most of its competitors. However, RL makes the argument that the fat they include is a healthy fat, which is not what most people out there consume in their hot dogs and chicken nuggets.

3 Likes