Soylent Lasts Me A Long Time Apparently

I was a backer for the Kickstarter period and had gotten my 1 week supply back in August, after that I got another weeks worth, then 2 weeks worth. Then I lost my job and to save on food costs I started a month’s worth of the subscriptions and I didn’t come close to finishing the first order before the second order came so I cancelled the subscription. I’m finally on my very last bag of Soylent and I logged back in to order another month’s worth and was curious when I got my last order.

It turns out that my second order came in December!! I have been consuming Soylent as my main source of nutrition since the beginning of November, but somehow I managed to make around 60-65 bags last me damn near 9 months!! I have lost weight (only about 5-10 pounds) or have stayed the same since I lost my job in October, usually I would gain about 10-15 pounds, even though I haven’t been eating only Soylent 24/7. I usually eat out 1-3 nights a week and I don’t eat breakfast so that leaves me to about two meals a day. Either way, that’s pretty damn impressive.

How long does it take everyone else to chew through their orders? (pun intended! hahaha)

I tend to only eat about 1500 calories of Soylent each day. So 28 bags will last for about 35 days.

Yea that sounds about right, a pitcher (50-60 oz) will last me about 1.5-2.5 days depending on how much water I add (I don’t measure it, I just blend it until its the consistency I like) and how much I drink per serving.

I go through about two bags a week; make a fresh batch on Monday and Wednesday mornings. I usually buy 14 bags at a time, and it lasts 7 weeks. The subscription model was never intended for someone like me.

I usually go 2 - 3 days/ 1 bag.

@soylent
I have too much soylent. I started trying to live almost entirely on soylent starting in late April but haven’t been able to stomach drinking an entire pitcher a day. The bland taste is one thing, but I just don’t think I can physically drink an entire pitcher. I’ve recently been trying to give up on my snacking/soda habit, so now I’m living almost entirely on soylent + water & have been, predictably, very tired. Even with my new diet restrictions I still don’t think I can go through a pitcher in less than 2-3 days. I might not be getting enough calories, which might be the real cause of my tiredness, not just caffeine withdrawal.

Another problem is that I have little over 18 BOXES of soylent & expect my next shipment soon. This wouldn’t be so bad, but it’s almost entirely version 1.4, which I found I don’t like nearly as much as 1.5 & my 1.5 expires sooner than most of my 1.4 will.

I also find soylent difficult to stomach in normal meal sizes, it makes me feel bloated, so I recently started doing 4 meals a day at 500 calories each. Have you tried doing that?

Why would a pitcher of soylent be difficult to drink in a day? It’s 75-80% water depending how big your pitcher is, which means you don’t need to drink much extra water.

Can’t see it either. Maybe if you were a very petite woman, but still, its not all that huge. I could easily do 4 shakers (1.33 bags) in a day if I wanted to.

[quote=“Sententia, post:7, topic:22152, full:true”]
I also find soylent difficult to stomach in normal meal sizes, it makes me feel bloated, so I recently started doing 4 meals a day at 500 calories each. Have you tried doing that?

Why would a pitcher of soylent be difficult to drink in a day? It’s 75-80% water depending how big your pitcher is, which means you don’t need to drink much extra water.[/quote]
I don’t do meals, I just drink some whenever I feel hungry, which is pretty frequently because soylent isn’t very filling. I also do feel the need to drink extra water, because I often get very thirsty & don’t always have or want soylent. Sometimes I even drink water just to get the taste of soylent out of my mouth.

[quote=“JoylentChugger, post:8, topic:22152, full:true”]Can’t see it either. Maybe if you were a very petite woman, but still, its not all that huge. I could easily do 4 shakers (1.33 bags) in a day if I wanted to.[/quote]I’ll have you know I’m a 5’7" slightly overweight man. I might be able to do a bag in a day if I fored myself to & was willing to sit around feeling ill for a few hours.

Size is one factor, but there are other variables. Physical activity can easily double someone’s daily caloric needs, for instance.

@Dias you know you can pause/cancel your subscription, right?

[quote=“wezaleff, post:10, topic:22152”]@Dias you know you can pause/cancel your subscription, right?[/quote]Yeah, but at the time I thought I should wait until 1.5 came out, so that way if I liked it less than 1.4 I’d wait until 1.6 to unpause & try again. I actually like 1.5 better than 1.4, so I’m going to keep my subscription going to get more of 1.5.

I’ll pause when a new version comes out that I like less than 1.4, so it’d have to taste like 1.3 or make me ill or something.

I had a bunch of boxes of 1.4 left when I first received 1.5, which I prefer, but I decided to polish off the 1.4 before starting 1.5. Soon™. :heart_eyes:

Ditto for me, though I like 1.4 okay – I mix mine distinctly thinner than instructions (3 cups water + 2 scoops Soylent), so I seem to avoid the whole 1.4=slime thing (though I do find it grittier than 1.5). But I can’t imagine having 18 boxes sitting around unconsumed – I already paused my 2-box shipment for late this month so that I’d have time to finish off the 2 boxes I already have on hand.

[quote=“runngdog, post:13, topic:22152, full:true”]But I can’t imagine having 18 boxes sitting around unconsumed – I already paused my 2-box shipment for late this month so that I’d have time to finish off the 2 boxes I already have on hand.[/quote]I’m trying to live completely on soylent & I probably would have gone through most of it by now if I had managed that from day 1. It’s also worth noting that I can’t cook & am trying to stop grocery shopping, so I’d rather have too much soylent than not enough. 18 boxes actually doesn’t take up that much space, I leave it all in a closet that was almost entirely empty anyway.

Also, today I actually managed to drink an entire pitcher of soylent & I only threw-up in my mouth once because of it.

I can only think of four possible causes for your issue:

1. You’re drinking too much soylent at one meal/snack, whatever you want to call it

2. You’re drinking too much water + soylent combined, which makes you feel bloated or sick

3. Something in soylent is producing a light allergic response that makes you feel sick

4. Something about the taste, texture, or concept of soylent disgusts you. Have you tried flavoring it or preparing it differently?

I’m a bit worried about your health, as soylent is designed to be provide 100% of nutrients in one full day’s worth. If you’ve been eating a third or half of that each day and little else you might be experiencing negative outcomes due to malnutrition.

I don’t think any of those are the issue. I think a liquid diet has caused my stomach to shrink, since I get full on soylent quickly, get hungry again quickly & have to ignore my hunger until my coffee break or lunch while I’m at work.

• Thursday I slept late & had 3 Taco Joe’s tacos for dinner because I forgot to make soylent the night before. That’s all I ate on Thursday.
  • Friday I slept-in & just didn’t feel hungry until around 4, but had a large plate of pasta for dinner with my family at 7, I didn’t have anything else except for some potato chips later at a friend’s house.

When I’m eating “normal” food I’m not eating much either. I’m probably not getting getting enough nutrition regardless, but I doubt I ever really have. I think I was getting a lot of my calories from soda, which I’ve tried to stop buying.