Soylent Micronutrient Breakdown

Blog post here. Discuss!

What is the sulfur content? Zinc Sulfate was mentioned, is that the sole source? Also will a more detailed breakdown? I love the way to macro/micro blogs were done. But, I would also like to eventually see a spreadsheet style breakdown.

I am disappointed. @efarther sums up my feelings on the matter pretty well. The point is to clarify, and I’m just as confused as before. They’re going over each ingredient, and they only list 1 micro per ingredient. It isn’t complete, it isn’t comprehensive, and all that pointless trivia just makes the wait for this all the more frustrating.

If they’re just buying time, that makes sense, but I’d have appreciated them being honest about not being able to release the real totals until later.

also useful would be %RDA

Does it work if we break it all down? Ive got an interview tomorrow so I’m not up to the task.

since they’re supplying you with total weight of each micronutrient, it’s pretty trivial to figure out the %RDA, which is also an easily available figure from the USDA.

has anyone thought of introducing those values in the DIY soylent page? like, putting the official formula up? I haven’t checked, so maybe its already done…

I’m kinda bummed about the use of Vit. K1 instead of K2.

P.S. Don’t misunderstand my post as being an insult. I love the concept of an all-encompassing nutritionary product and hope that Soylent gets the bugs worked out. I see dogs and cats living long healthy lives eating virtually the same thing day in and day out. I expect there is a similar menu item that would be suitable for humans. I for one hate menu planning and don’t particularly enjoy taking time out of the day to worry about meals so Soylent would be a godsend. I just expect more than the standard RDA and ingredients listing like you see on a box of cereal. That simplicity won’t cut it in this Internet-connected world. Remember that the RDA limits are minimums for survival, not recommendations for full health.

And don’t discount the need for fiber since this component provides the substrate for growth of the good bacteria in your intestines, as well as easing movements. And digestive enzymes assist with food assimilation. If your food is “dead” then the pancreas has to work harder creating these enzymes. Both fiber and enzymes are contained in whole, raw foods, but can be included in Soylent easily.

Continue your research and you may very well develop the product you are dreaming of. I hope so.

I would assume they are using ‘u’ as a stand in for ‘µ’, other than that, it looks good and has reasons for why each nutrient is there (aka, not so useless trivia). I did recall seeing someone post that they are doing a three blog-post breakdown of the final Soylent product, and as yet, we have only seen two.

Maybe the final one will have the totals @Sintax and @efarther are looking for although I believe each ingredient only provides the micro, or they would have done the same as they did with oat flour.
“Phosphorus (700mg) from Oat Flour… Magnesium (400mg) from Oat Flour”,
Meaning oat flour provides both of those micros. It reads to me like each other ingredient only provides its listed micro nutrient.

I’m trying to eat a heart healthy diet. The American Heart Association recommends 1500mg or less per day of Sodium. I see there is exactly 1500mg in this. What I wonder is how much does the body actually need? I’d like my Sodium to be as low as possible.

I have heard of some studies that say that 1500 mg of sodium is in fact too little for most people, and that the correlation between sodium really only applies to people with heart conditions.

I have also heard that it was important for for the Selenium to come in a biological form rather than an inorganic one.

I am afraid that I don’t have reliable references for those, but I would like to see some discussion of them.

Yes, I’ve heard that too but haven’t found articles saying what too low is. I guess the answer is nobody agrees at this point.

@k0an, even though conventional wisdom is to “eat less salt,” I think one can push that too far.

I was eating ~500mg a day of sodium. After awhile, I started peeing more frequently than normal. After about a week of increasingly frequent peeing, I drank a glass of salt water and immediately went back to normal. Now I add salt to my soylent and have been fine since.

So what level are you at now?

3500mg + ~50ug = 3500.050mg

In every example the secondary source seems neglect-able.

Now that the list of micronutrients has been released, is this everything? Or is there one more post until we know the complete formula? (Need to know so I can schedule an appointment with the appropriate doctor)

Also, what about the xanthan gum, and any other “incidentals”? Is that included in the total fiber count already? Thanks

Woah, I wasn’t trying to insult either - I hope that wasn’t the impression I gave! :slight_smile:

I like to be a grumpy guss, but I suppose I should have started by making it clear that more information is always better than none. I’m happy they’re releasing the information, but I’m not quite satisfied by it, that is all.

@rob and @talvik clarified the specific points that efarther brought up, which I appreciate. Also, I suppose it makes sense that, since Rosa Labs is using lower level ingredients than the average DIY recipe, the nutrient:ingredient list will be much closer to 1:1.

But I’m still confused. They talk about why each nutrient is important, but they don’t talk about how much you need, what source they have to say that this covers our requirements, or what their reasoning is to go with each target value:

1. Potassium Gluconate is only 75% of the USDA RDA. They don’t mention this, they just say 8 bananas/day… yay, I guess. Maybe they’re low balling it to avoid the problems some people might get from hyperkalemia? Maybe not? Maybe thye just figured better than average is more important than full RDA compliance? Maybe they have a different source for their RDAs?
  2. Calcium is only 1g, when teenagers, adult women and elderly need 1.2 - 1.3g. Instead of waxing philosophic about how bones are metal, I’d have appreciated a discussion on why they felt that this was an acceptable target to shoot for, especially considering that they encourage people to drink less than the full day if they feel full (1/2-2/3 = only 38% of DRI for women and 17 year old men)
  3. Iron is only 8mg! After all that talk about how Soylent will be unisex, and they stick with the male DRI. Rather than discuss why this is an acceptable number, they talk and talk about statistics of the worlds metal production. According to the USDA, teenage boys need 11mg/day and women need 18mg/day. Not to mention that there’s no discussion of the differences between heme and non-heme Iron. Vegetarian sources will always be non-heme Iron, and the USDA handbook explicitly says that due to this, vegetarians should double their Iron DRI. Women who drink 2/3 of a days supply of Soylent will be left with only 30% of their Iron, 15% if you consider they should be doubling. Perhaps when they said they’ll be making the recipe unisex, what they really meant was “we’ll leave women and children behind for now”?
  4. Vitmain K, they address the fact that there are different kinds (“a member of the vitamin K family regulates bone density”, yeah… that would be vitamin K2 - a totally different vitamin from K1). So what’s the breakdown of this K1/K2 mix?
  5. Sulfur. Where is it?

I could go on. But in general it seems like they’re either doing under the USDA recommendation or just barely hitting the recommendation (always for adult men). How can they do that and at the same time recommend that people drink less if they feel full? If I were to go ahead with a Soylent diet, I’d feel it would be necessary to either supplement Iron, Potassium, K2 or shoot for the 1800 package and drink 2000+ calories of it.

One more ingredient posting left - and I would hope a unified response from @rob that sums it all together with the final comprehensive micro / macro formulation and the reasoning behind each choice. I’m certain that there’s going to be information he’s privy to that won’t fit perfectly with commonly held notions of nutrition.

For those asking about sulfur, it’s generally not necessary to supplement, because it comes in the proteins.

As to the other micros, they’re breaking it down in one of the only ways that makes sense when you have multiple crossover sources and a blog posting format. Once we have the complete listing, we can take it to the diy site and have a nicely summarized official Soylent formula. This will also be a handy tool for customizing… Official Soylent will be the ultimate default foundation for customized diets.