Soylent Muffin!

Seeing as the mixture was so thick and had flour in it after adding the oat powder, I decided to try baking it and seeing what happened. It worked! It was pretty bland, it tastes much better and is much sweeter in drink form. It is also very dense. This could be a way to get solid food if you are trying to stay purely on soylent. I am not sure of the effect on the nutrients by cooking it, perhaps someone else has some thoughts here. I know proteins could denature, but other than the creatine I think that is ok as long as all the amino acids are intact.

I baked it as 325F (163C). I tried 375F (190C) first, but the outside was cooking too quickly. I didn’t time it, just kept checking on it. I will update if I make any more and watch the time.

Soylid! Solid Soylent?

Haha! A neat idea. Could probably fill a large tray, and then just have a bag of muffins on hand to eat periodically throughout the day. :smiley:

Still, doesn’t cooking Soylent destroy some of the essential minerals/nutrients?

If we could get a list of which ones it does, we could make muffins with what’s okay to cook, and take the other supplements in a glass of water or something on the side.

what about trying it as a thin pancake / pikelet / crepe? some cream and strawberry jam on top… nice breakfast :wink:

… does anyone know what putting the ingredients in an extremely hot box does to them? At this point we’re discussing muffin recipes, not soylent anymore.

Yeah, that should work @TwilitWave, assuming there is enough that isn’t affected by the heat to keep them solid it should allow for a combination solid liquid diet.

@Ado, they actually might be better in that form because they are so dense, although adding cream or jam does defeat the purpose a little bit.

I have done a little bit of research and will try to do some more later today. It looks like there are some amino acids that are destroyed with heat, but that is probably ok as long as you are only cooking some of your protein. I am not worried about the carbs, I think they should all be fine. I suppose it could change the glycemic index though. All of the elements(minerals) shouldn’t be affected by heat(if someone causes transmutation I think they should stop trying to mix their soylent with a particle accelerator). So, this leaves the fat, vitamins and any non-essential nutrient additions for more research.

I’m pretty sure Vitamins do get lost!

I found a table with the effect of heat on vitamins. It doesn’t have any sources listed though. http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-cooked-2e.shtml

If you want to eat some soylent muffins in addition to drinking soylent, you would probably be ok to just add some extra of the vitamins that are affected by heat. If you want to just eat muffins, then you should do more research.

I think I am going to try eating one or two a day. I am going to see if I can make a sort of powdered sugar frosting from dextrose and vanilla whey to make them a little tastier.

This could actually increase the bioavailability of the oat based nutrients, what with that whole phytic acid thing that people keep talking about, though it may be a trade-off.

Oats actually don’t have much in the way of vitamins, at least according to this. If you’re getting your vitamins from supplements, cooking the Soylent shouldn’t make any difference.

I assume that cooking doesn’t hurt the minerals, since they’re atomic elements. Anyone know how much baking removes phytic acid, damages fat, or affects choline?

Instead of baking them in the oven at “high” temperature, you could try making microwave-muffins. Much faster as well.