Soylent needs to be Sexy

Soylent is Good, but it is far from Seductive at this stage. In order to succeed, Soylent will need to attract people at levels beyond complete nutrition. The black & white barebones packaging, the beige color of the drink, the pseudoflavorlessness, all of these things are at best neutral, and at worst boring or even repulsive. How can Soylent be Sexy?

I am not sure I agree with the video, by that regards is coca cola or apple inc unethical?

The soylent packaging is fine, what isn’t fine is their PR strategy.
They need to put on their homepage that soylent is healthy and good for the environment. This isn’t even mentioned. Really push the idea to customers that by drinking soylent they are not only doing the planet a favour, they are doing themselves a favour.

There are many things that make soylent great, cheapness is one of those but if we want wide public acceptance I wouldn’t really champion / propagate the cheapness of the product as a selling point (in reality RL should work to make soylent as cheap as possible).

I’m not sure I understand your point. Soylent has been extremely successful.

Amongst a niche group, yes. I love it, personally. Most people I talk to, however, are opposed to even trying the stuff. Outside of this discussion board, I don’t know anyone who would order just a week’s supply, even after I tell them how good it makes me feel and how long I’ve been eating it for the vast majority of my meals.

Those that treat food as a sacred cow would ignore it outright anyway. (You MUST enjoy eating! You MUST enjoy cooking! You MUST find it pleasurable! You MUST use it as a social experience!)

The people that don’t would already be curious about such a thing.

The one’s that would be interested in such a thing are:

1. Find it hard to get everything they need in a day
  2. Already see eating as a chore majority of the time/Eat to live
  3. People that want to perhaps save some money
  4. People that want to perhaps lose some weight/gain weight
  5. Want something quick to make and consume here and there while running on a tight schedule (time saver)

Everyone that didn’t view food as a sacred cow tended to be very open to Soylent in my experience so the idea is already very sexy.

@generalblue1983 I would add to that fine list. (your list kind of encapsulates these in some ways:

1. People eating a very unhealthy diet but don’t have the time/energy/knowledge to correct it themselves.
  2. People who’ve had surgery of some kind and must live on a liquid diet.
  3. People who suspect they have a food allergy of some kind and want to use Soylent as a “control”.

Never considered number 8. Soylent casts a large net in the market. It’s portable and easy to make food which never really existed outside Ensure/Jevity but those aren’t quite the same as we know.

1. I eat to live. Been that way since I was a child. I always sought out to maximize my nutrition so the food that I ate didn’t really focus on taste but on nutrition. Finding that balance has been a life long pursuit and I never did quite get it right.

Why can’t we enjoy eating Soylent?! Why can’t it become a pleasurable ritual? Why can’t it become a social experience?

What might be changed to make these things happen?

Obviously Soylent will have to do more marketing at some point but “sexy” isn’t the adjective is see for that. To me that implies glitzy and shallow. I think Rob Rhinehart summed up well in three words what Soylent represents in his post about receiving $20 million in funding a couple months ago: Quality without luxury.

Anything that people HAVE to do, such as eating, should have that goal. If you have to do something then you want it to be good without taking unnecessary time and money. That leaves you with extra time and money to indulge in whatever luxuries you do enjoy. If the luxury you enjoy is food then great, spend time and money on it, but people who aren’t way into food should be able to get healthy food as quickly and cheaply as possible.

As far as that video at the top goes, although I get the general point I find it kinda creepy. It comes off like people shouldn’t be able to decide for themselves what they want and what they need and what they ought to find meaningful. I don’t think that’s good in general but especially on a board about Soylent since it generates so many reactions from people like “You don’t need that. Just eat real food.”

That’s something that food extremists can’t really grasp.

Have you had Soylent? I like it but nothing really replaces a good burger and fries, steak, burrito, and (insert yummy food here).

I commend those who live 90-100% on Soylent, you must have so much free time and money now.
I just couldn’t do it, I miss the taste too much.

I enjoy indulging in food too. A lot. I just don’t need to do it 3-4 times every single day. Sometimes you can get more total enjoyment from something by doing it less because the times when you do do it you’re focused on it instead of just answering a call of nature.

I don’t think needs are a choice by definition; nutrition is necessary. Desires are a choice; we can desire a form in which to consume nutrients. I do understand about what people ought to find meaningful, as the video comes off like chasing a desire can’t be meaningful. I do not understand why the video would generate the reaction that we don’t need Soylent and should eat real food. We need the nutrition… We don’t need it in powdered form, but we equally don’t need it to be in vegetable or animal shapes, either.

I don’t see what’s wrong with dressing up something good to compete with glitzy, shallow, empty products. Most people are driven more by their emotions than by rational, logical thinking. Most businesses exploit that fact, for better or worse. I’m not saying Soylent should be shrouded in marketing lies, I’m saying the truth can be more exciting.

“Just eat real food” is already the reaction of many people that don’t like the idea of Soylent. That video doesn’t generate those reactions. What the video does is imply that it might be okay to impose it on others.

Watch the first part of it again. They’re bad if they sell us what we what we desire rather than what we need. Who exactly is it that determines what you desire and what you need? I think it ought to be you that determines that. In doing so you might makes some decisions that others would find foolish but that’s a lot better than others deciding what you want and what you need.

The negative reaction to Soylent is so strong that I don’t doubt for a second that some people would ban it if they could on the grounds that it’s not needed.

This is the same thought I had before I started Soylent. I thought I’d go eat real meals rarely. What actually happened is I want real food every couple days AT LEAST, but I always have Soylent for breakfast. I think its partially psychological, its hard to trick your brain into thinking its satisfied with Soylent when your whole life you eat “real food”.

I’m only on Soylent 25% so it’s not like I’m never eating real food. I didn’t plan on 25% (or any other level) but it just turned out to be what worked for me right now. But it still makes a big difference. If you only eat Soylent for breakfast that’s still a lot. That’s partly my point, namely that you don’t have to be a strict Soylent adherent for it to make a big difference.

And in fact I think that is where there potential for big growth lies. No time soon will we have most of the public going 80% Soylent but even people that like food somewhat, like me, can switch to a quarter or so and over the sum of a lot of people that is huge.

Yeah Repo Man is a cool movie.

Also someone in another thread said 1.4 is very similar to cum, is that close enough?

I think breakfast is the one meal that most people could very easily switch to Soylent. How many people hate mornings? Personally I always wake up with barely enough time to throw on clothes and leave, without having breakfast.