Soylent now unavailable in Canada

Some news regarding Canada’s food labeling policies that you all might find interesting:

1 Like

What’s funny is the amount of fast food companies in the area I live. If this does happen that will be a lot of new labels.

My daughter has used this for several years. Her last order (last summer) we had shipped to a US dropbox address in Niagara Falls (no monthly fees, about $5 US per shipment) then drove down to pick it up and bring it across the border. Other than the fact we didn’t have all the paperwork the border security agreed that even though it is banned for sale in Canada because of regulatory requirements it is not banned for personal consumption. We bought a 6-month supply (liquid) across which is her usual order. BTW I used a VPN with a US based IP address to make the order because their site didn’t allow ordering from a Canadian identified IP address.

4 Likes

Tempted to say something to @Conor that might only elicit a “don’t make me turn this car around”.

Are we there yet? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Come on man, at least wait until your own pretty arbitrary and irrationally optimistic deadline of October before you continue spamming @Conor please :smiley:

4 Likes

Appreciate the insight and thank you for that advice. The “are we there yet” was a slight tongue in cheek hence the dont make me turn this car around.

I know full well that both @Conor and Soylent crew are attempting to fix this situation brought about by our government alone because I’ve attempted to stay caught up with every update/info Conor has posted.

Maybe call it a lack of an actual officially updated response by the company or the updates of the push into 7/11 and now Walmart (one just down the street)…frustration is high after adjusting to an almost 100% life style on Soylent for close to three years.

Yes this is something out of company hands and they obviously will keep pushing to expand but these are the things that have one wondering where does Canada sit on that list of priorities now.

It’s a case of efficiency, right now the entire legal team and 2 food scientists are working on Canada, because its mostly a certification and government process is issue. Our other parts will keep chugging. Even had we not been banned in Canada it would of be extremely unlikely that any of our retail partners did a Canada test as part of their US test. They most likely would of wanted a good year of sales before event looking at testing in another country.

The updates are literally “Waiting for CFIA counter response and review”.

I know it sucks, it’s not fun for me too seeing so many Canadian users who put our product firmly in their lives now struggling to fill the void.

2 Likes

Do you have a Canadian Lobbying or “Government Relations” firm working on it?

Yes. We have a variety of parties working. But the exemption is a straight forward process involving extensive review. External parties neither speed it up nor slow it down.

1 Like

Don’t sweat it Conor. You guys are doing good work, and it will be worth the wait. Thank you for taking this seriously, all your Canadian fans appreciate it, and are rooting for you!

In the meantime, I’ll be eating a lot of microwaved rice and bean meals and drinking a lot of soy milk. Cheap, healthy, super fast prep, and the closest I’ve felt to how I felt while on Soylent since I stopped being able to get it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“Rice and bean meals” sounds boring, but “Gallo pinto” is a wonderful dish that I’ve had in Costa Rica. Rice and beans done in a way that results in the tastiest thing that I ate there. Anyway, I agree totally, all we can do here in Canada is to be supportive of the Soylent people as they work feverishly to get Soylent available here once again.

I’m wondering that if an entirely new powder product is eventually released in Canada, will I still get my old subscription price?

That would be a lot of work for Soylent to make a new formula just so it could be sold in one country, but who knows? It sucks that Canada won’t let in the miracle of Soylent :frowning: Canada secretly wants their people to suffer be depriving them of soylent :frowning: Soylent is one perk of living in America :stuck_out_tongue: lol

Hey Conor, will there be a email sent out when everything is back up?

1 Like

Huge announcement when we are back in. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

6 Likes

Hey Conor, what was the announcement?

I think he might have meant that when Soylent is available again in Canada, they will make a big announcement to let people know.

2 Likes

This.

Pretty sure @Conor was just replying to your question:

I decided to smuggle some Cacao powder over, no issues and didnt have to pay any duty. Its not bad, a little on the bland side but very smooth in texture. I like it better than the regular soylent but not nearly as much as the chai, would love a powdered chai version but I doubt that will ever happen.