Soylent Nutritional Question?

Hi guys, I’m fairly new to soylent and would like to go 100% on it for sometime to help me manage weight.

I want to be consuming 4 bottles, 1600 calories daily, however this would only give me 80% of my daily vitamins and nutrients. Does anyone have a solution to give me the other 20% so I am not in a deficit?

I went 1600 for about a month or two. Man does your blood sugar drop. Back to 2000 now.

A Vitamin every few days should work.

I’ve been on Soylent 100% for just over 3 months now. I did 1600 calories (4 bottles of 2.0) per day for the first month and did great. Then I dropped to 1200 calories (3 bottles) per day for the next 2 months and still did great. Then I did 2 weeks at 1000 calories (2.5 bottles) per day. No problems ever. And yes, take a daily multivitamin and mineral.

Disclaimer: I doubt that I am typical. I like to experiment, and I am in very good health (for an old fart). I’m simply saying that it’s able to be done.

1000 a day, good grief willpower. You are made of iron!

Lol, not at all. I’ve never had a huge appetite, but I really love food. Hence my ability to pack on weight of I’m not careful. Soylent allows me to be very careful about exactly how much I am eating while still being one of the healthiest options available.

From what I’ve seen, the standard-issue response 'round here (and on Reddit) to inquiries like this one is that the body’s nutritional needs scale with its caloric needs, so if you are ok with 1600 calories you should supposedly be ok with 80% of the nutrients recommended for a 2000-calorie diet. However, that advice is often followed by someone else asking, “wait, do we have a source for that claim?” followed by crickets. I’ve yet to see any substantiation for the scaling theory, so I can’t actually say if it’s true. But it’s helpful to consider that even 4 bottles of Soylent provides better nutrition than a typical day’s muggle food for many people. Personally, I also use Soylent for weight management and regardless of my Soylent/muggle food balance, I take a daily multivitamin just to be sure I’m good.

From what I gather, some micronutrients do scale according to your caloric needs (e.g. potassium and sodium), but not all do. Additionally, those that do scale don’t necessarily do so linearly, and deficiencies are more likely to occur the further you cut caloric (and micronutrient) intake below 2000.

As a rough speculation (and this is just my opinion, though there may be journals that back it up), the ones that do scale are going to be ones that are involved more in metabolic processes such as muscle contraction and relaxation (as generally the more calories you need, the more muscle you have). As such, stuff like magnesium (involved in muscle relaxation), sodium and potassium (both involved in generating action potentials in neurones, including those that generate muscle responses), and chloride (also involved in action potentials and ensuring fluid inside and outside cells is kept at a healthy ratio) will scale with caloric needs more than other micronutrients.

Now I’ll say again, that paragraph is just my speculation, but it seems to make sense. It also leads to the conclusion than a multivitamin (which doesn’t contain electrolytes generally) should be sufficient for correcting any potential deficiencies from a lower-than-2000kcal diet on a product like Soylent. But the only way to be certain would be blood tests.

Do any of you that are on 100% Soylent have a full time job and workout regularly at a gym?
I do not see how you would have any energy to do this!
Also, at 400 calories and not feeling full, for a meal does not sound like Soylent was made for dieting.
I use Soylent when I do not have time to cook a meal.
Anyone, been using it for a year and have your blood work done, to see it’s effect?

Hi @hongr, So I’ve recently introduced Soylent 2.0 into my lifestyle and originally my diet considered an intake of roughly 2,000 cals. I don’t think I was passing 2,500 unless it was a weekend where I indulge in fast foods (e.g. zaxbys, fire house, etc…). I’ve been on that diet previously for 10 month instead of cooking my own food and probably took in 3,000 calories. I never counted though until just recently with the 10 month diet. My new diet with soylent’s goal was to meet the 2,000 cal minimum but to cut out frozen meals which already cuts 600mg of sodium between lunch and dinner. If you’re curious I’ve included what I consume throughout the day.

According to a calorie counter, for 155 at 5’5, I can consume 2,200, remain on a goal to maintain weight, continue a 3 day workout for the week… I’m burning 250-300 calories during my bodybuilding with no cardio. As far as muscle mass, I feel like I look the same and others have said I still look swole. I feel like I’ve lost some mass around my biceps but it could just be that I’ve leaned up. The picture / spreadsheet does not include any extra calories that I consume after dinner like another yogurt or a cereal bowl. The only blood work I’ve had was when I was on the frozen meals and never had any issues. Considering this is a healthier solution and nothing has really changed for me other than it being quicker I’d suspect there will be no issues either.

So another question I always have to this line of thought is, what determines one’s caloric “needs”? Going by every thread I’ve read when this subject comes up, “caloric needs” = “whatever calories I happen to be consuming at any given time”, which doesn’t make sense to me. Feels like a cart before the horse deal.

For the most part, people have goals when it comes to weight and many do not monitor what they eat at all until it’s either a bit late (it’s never to late…) and they want to correct it or something causes them to reflect and change their habits. To keep this on the calorie track, one’s calorie needs are dependent on what your goals are like maintaining the weight or losing it in a healthy way. You can use this tool to help you understand what needs to happen each day by filling out your height and etc. Your next step would be to track what you eat based on the nutrition label which every food offers whether it’s raw and in a package or in a plastic label. Mind you, the information I’m providing is very generic but true yet can be used as the building blocks to your own theory as to what works best for you.

Caloric needs would just be the number of calories you need to maintain your weight, instead of gaining or losing any.

Yes, or pretty darn close anyway. I was on Soylent 100% for a few months, and now I’ve slightly modified it so that I’m on Soylent about 90%. The only other things I eat are an ounce or two of almonds each day and a scoop of protein powder in a few ounces of almond-coconut milk every other day. In addition I work out every day with alternating routines. First day is weight lifting, sit-ups, and stretching for a total of about two hours; second day is calisthenics and stretching for about 45 minutes total, and I just repeat these two routines constantly with no days off.

I feel better and more energetic than I ever did before starting Soylent, and I’m in the best shape of my life.