I’ve been consuming Soylent since back in August with v1.0 and like most of you, my very first glass that I had been waiting nearly a year to try…was pretty disgusting. It took me about a half hour to choke down about 8-12 oz of it and I thought this was going to be a huge waste of money. Over the months of consuming it and browsing the boards for suggestions, I have grown to enjoy consuming soylent, so much that I went from getting a week supply here and there to ordering two months worth (currently have v1.3)!
I tried all the mixing methods:
- mixing powder, water and oil, then letting it sit for a few hours (still pretty gross [chalky, chunky, slimy]
- mixing powder and water, then letting it sit over night, then add the oil and use a blender ball to mix it all together (slightly less gross [still chalky, less chunky, still slimy])
- doing the above and adding a lot of flavoring (my favorite is Hershey’s Chocolate Syrup) made it a lot more palatable and easier to get down
- I bought a cheap immersion blender, which just sucked and made it chunky again
- Finally I tried a blender and that’s what changed everything… At first sip it was almost like a thick milkshake and I actually enjoyed drinking it! It was still slightly chalky/gritty but I could overlook that, it was still kind of slimy though…
Recently I decided to start making my full batches without any oil at all (since I don’t only consume Soylent, I can get my fats from other foods) and boy what a difference in texture it is! No longer does it feel slimy when I’m drinking it, just like a thick/thin chocolate malt shake! The slimyness of Soylent was always very off-putting to me and the oil in general was just a pain. Half the time I would forget to put it in, measuring out enough for one “meal” was always a mess and I would always have more left over when a bag was done than I should.
I was thinking, wouldn’t it be nice if you could order your Soylent without the oil at all so there is no waste of plastic and ingredients, along with a bunch of unneeded bottles laying around? Also, maybe if you wanted the oil, have an option to get the oil in the bottles or maybe get them in gel caps or something that you take along with your Soylent?
In my opinion, there has to be a better way to integrate the fats into your diet because these things don’t mix well, literally.
Has anyone else taken the same approach?