Soylent on HuffPost Live

Even though I’m not going to be a part of the report anymore, I’m excited to see it.

EDIT: Segment is over. See it here.

it is already past 12:50pm on the east coast. I am assuming this is 12:50 pacific time?

Sorry, 12:50pm CST. (In 3 minutes)

Oh god, the live comments thread is groan-inducing.

“Not good. We need variety; to chew. More importantly, we need to stay grounded with nature in order to maintain a connection with community and basic values of life.Developing countries can harness natural resources, and learn to thrive while moving forward technologically.”

hiss

They are asking for great arguements live right now from our community!

If I wasn’t in class, I’d volunteer.

These people… No one said that food culture would disappear. When computers arrived did the reading culture disappear? Maybe less people read physical books and we read things in more different ways. Having more options is really the essence of this product. Option to eat a tasty meal with the family and option to just get nutrients for a busy day.

I can understand the wariness with which they approach the idea of Soylent, but it seemed like it was misrepresented. Kind of a shame.

Fairly unsurprising:

Three women over 60 think its the worst thing ever and “our way of life is under attack”, two writers under 50 who have actually tried Soylent say “Eh, its not bad”.

Very frustrated I wasn’t able to be on this morning as I would’ve pointed out that advancements like Soylent will allow us to eat things like sushi in an overpopulated world. If we don’t start now, by the time we switch out of necessity, the kinds of foods they were discussing will likely be the status symbols of the rich.

Crap I guess I missed it?

The comments were definitely annoying. People seemed to love pretending that they’ve already researched nutrition, Soylent, and its effects on people. I don’t understand why they feel so threatened–if you don’t like it, don’t drink it, as simple as that. They’re scared Soylent will replace traditional food, but if that happens, there’d probably be a good reason for it happening–people aren’t being force fed Soylent. One of the biggest arguments they used was tradition, as if tradition alone should be a reason not to do something.

Yeah, I just edited the original to include a link to the video.

It’s not live but you can still watch it from the link.

And THAT was the sole comment they pulled from the community.

Clearly, the deck was stacked against us.

RE: the wealthy being privileged to eat “real food” - Isn’t that EXACTLY how it is now? with your upper class restaurants selling $200 entrees, personal chefs, and hyper-organic, free range heirloom tomatoes entirely out of price range of (or bankrupting) the average consumer?

Eat cheap soylent so your “classical” food can be higher quality.

Too bad there couldn’t have been somebody on the program actually advocating for Soylent.

Soylent isn’t going to replace Thanksgiving dinner—it’s going to replace the meals you eat because you’re hungry, and not much else. I don’t know of many people who derive deep cultural value from frozen burritos and $1.99 cheeseburgers, for example.

They actually asked me to be on the show originally. Unfortunately my order (like most everyone else’s) still hasn’t arrived so I had to bow out.

Shh, Carlton. They didn’t know that. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it’s what I spoke about in another thread, that Soylent takes the romance out of food. People have completely romanticised food and the “food experience” to near religious-fervor-levels. Soylent forces the acknowledgement that perhaps food isn’t actually romantic, that it truly is just a chemical process that can be distilled and simplified.

Soylent is directly taking away something they hold most dear. It’s as if we’ve actually discovered the meaning of life, the universe, and everything, and it’s not “42”. We’ve actually proven the non-existence of “God” (nevermind that you can’t prove the non-existence of something, just go with me here) and so naturally they are supremely threatened because they don’t want to believe it, as they have a huge amount of their self identity wrapped up in the notion.

I think Soylent is going to be vehemently fought against for a while - possibly forever - by a majority of the people. Hopefully by living on it ourselves and actually getting healthier and healthier, that will eventually begin to change. Hopefully.

I volunteered but was not contacted to take me up on it. I had to step away from the computer for about 20 minutes so missed the whole event.

Ha ha- would’ve been funny to hold up a glass of watered-down Yoohoo and con my way through the interview.

Hindsight, am I right?