Soylent Phallus (NSFW)

What…The…Hell.

http://nicole.pizza/soylent-dick/

(Note: Do not click if you are easily offended. Also: NSFW)

The animated gifs are priceless.

Why

We are fascinated by Soylent and the culture that surrounds it. Soylent is a meal replacement beverage that was invented in 2013 by a software engineer who “resented the time, money, and effort the purchase, preparation, consumption, and clean-up” of food required. Since then, Soylent has grown in both fans and controversy, both for the product itself as well as for the brand’s techno-utopian rhetoric.

Though the company is now trying to reach broader audiences, Soylent was first created by an engineer for other engineers. What does it mean for Soylent to be adopted primarily by coders to save time, when the engineering field is still predominantly male? What does it mean for people who can afford to eat well to choose to reject food?

So, you type some of the phrases from the release notes into a text box and a penis spits out soylent. From what I can tell, the phrases all come from the little “letter from Rob” at the beginning, which says things like “If you are what you eat you may now consider yourself healthy and practical,” but you instead type them into the box in first person. The Soylent Dick creators consider these phrases to be self-validating.

I think the interpretation that makes the most sense is that the penis is supposed to belong to the male software engineers who could afford to eat out and have good food all the time but instead drink Soylent. They pleasure themselves with self-validating statements about being part of the future of food, but it’s really little more than masturbation to make them feel better about themselves. I guess it could also be Rob’s/Rosa’s penis: they feel proud of themselves as they present Soylent as a world-changing solution, but the website and the questions posed in the “why” section lean towards the first interpretation more.

Maybe I’m being easily offended, but I think this sort of argument neglects the immediate and very tangible benefits of (S/s)oylent and the ideology behind it:

• Minimizing cost per nutrition (many people on here are not rich engineers who could afford to eat out all the time, and many use DIY for prices nearly competitive with rice and beans)
  • Saving time so that it can be spent with friends/family/self (it’s not about feeling self-important if you use the free time to play with your kids)
  • Helping people control impulsive eating habits and reducing costly “I don’t feel like cooking tonight, I’ll just go out to eat” scenarios (okay, maybe this isn’t quite as immediate and tangible, but I think Soylent can help people towards a healthier lifestyle overall. It’s like, I don’t know, if you masturbate to lower your sex drive because it’s quick and convenient, you’re less likely to try to hook up with strangers who might steal your money or whatever. Probably a bad analogy.)

Definitely NSFW. I laughed. :yum:

Good point. Edited title of thread, just in case it wasn’t clear. I don’t want anyone getting in trouble.

Best part of the post was the link to the recipe for “Soylent Flesh”
(AKA Soylent play-doh):

(Note: One could add food coloring or glitter as in the original recipe that this was adapted from.)

Oh, that is awesome.

thanks so much for posting this so I could know what it was without having to see it myself.

“Stupid Shit No One Needs & Terrible Ideas Hackathon”

Ok, this makes more sense now.

I think maybe you’re reading a little too much into some toilet humor. I laughed.