Soylent pre-made bars and pre-made drinks?

I assume that someday I’ll be able to purchase soylent bars and soylent drinks right next to protein bars and Odwalla drinks in the super market today. Sooner would be better than later imo.

Readily drinkable soylent will classify as a diary food and will need to be produced continuously in a distributed fashion.

I really like the idea of pre-made bars and drinks even though I know they will probably be massively more expensive if used as an exclusive part of one’s diet. One of the things I’m discovering on my soylent (lower case) journey is that, for some reason, liquid food makes me hanker for solid food.

As to price. There is a market for higher priced food. Have you priced protein bars lately?

Eve

I would think pre-made soylent drinks would go against one of the goals of reducing inefficiency and waste in our food system as a whole. Shipping water adds a lot of weight and has a higher chance for spoilage. From this perspective, it makes much more sense to add the water just before consumption. I think Spaceman really hit on the right idea with vending machines, where the water can be added at the time of purchase.

Is that supposed to say dairy food? Soylent doesn’t contain any dairy (well, so far) and is currently vegan (contains no animal products).

I proposed this – Soylent “juice bricks” and Soylent bars – among several other ideas for Soylent follow-up products back last september (http://discourse.soylent.me/t/soylent-what-next-unsolicited-advice-and-unfounded-speculation/16892). The discussion then kind of derailed into a “pitcher” thread, but I still like the idea.

Those sealed, foil-lined boxes and pouches that are widely sold full of juice for kid’s snacks and lunch boxes should also keep premixed Soylent safe on the shelf. Shake it up, stick in the little straw, lunch! Getting shelf space next to Odwalla and fifty other kinds of protein bars and nutrition bars, maybe not so easy.

Once you mix Soylent at home and put it in your fridge it lasts 2 days officially and maybe 3-4 if you push it. Other liquids typically last longer. I wonder if it’s even feasible with current technology to pre-mix it in a factory in California or Pennsylvania or wherever and ship it to grocery stores and have it sit on shelves. Even if it is I question whether they’re going to want to do that. I think a bottle with powder where you add your own water is more likely. Shipping water and dealing with a middleman (the grocery store) are both inefficient.

But dealing with the grocery store might be useful to increase exposure of people to the product. A problem now is that the minimum someone can pay to try Soylent (other than buying a bit of eBay I mean) is $70. That means there is the possibility of buying $70 worth, trying $1 worth and not liking it and being stuck with $69 worth that you don’t like. For a lot of people that is way to much money to spend on a risk. I think the usefulness of grocery stores is to sell Soylent in single bottles where people can pay a few bucks to try it out.

Right now the last thing Rosa Labs needs is more interest in Soylent. They’ve only just finally been able to meet the current demand in a reasonable timeframe. They’ve got a lot to do before the idea of “mass market Soylent” is worthy of serious business consideration, IMO.

Since sustainability is one of Rob’s motivations in making Soylent, I doubt they’ll be packing it in juice boxes any time soon. Unless someone invents a compostable juice box.