Soylent Recipe Critique - UK Friendly

So I’ve finished putting together my soylent recipe sourcing all ingredients in the UK. Would much appreciate if the veterans around here would take a look and make sure it all looks okay and nothing is way under/over/dangerous. I go to the gym and require 2600-2700 calories and 145g of protein.

It is worth noting that I have taken into account both Rob’s recommended figures (based on US RDAs) as well as EU RDAs, which in a lot of cases are MUCH lower than Rob’s. So where I am not hitting rob’s figures but over the EU figure I am not too worried. It would be interesting to know why these figures differ so wildly in some cases.

A few questions:

1. My biggest uncertainty regarding macros is how to split my carb intake between maltodextrin and oats. Is there an ideal ratio between high GI vs low GI carbs? For now I am getting just over 50% of my carbs from oat powder as per the most recent blog post, but 300g of oat powder is way more than I have seen in other recipes and seems like it would make the entire drink a stodgy oaty gloop. Anyone have any advice here?

2. There are a few micronutrients under that I have heard are present in oat powder. Since my oat powder doesn’t disclose this info, it is difficult to get accurate levels. These are biotin, magnesium, phosphorous and potassium. Currently my oats are at 300g so should cover all of these comfortably, but oat level may go down as per point 1. The only one I’m really concerned about (from my limited knowledge) is magnesium as with 300g of oats I may be way over the UL. The others I’m not sure about.

3. Low on vitamin A. How big a deal is this? Do I really need a separate vit A supplement or is this still in a reasonable range?

4. Iron is high. Still below the UL of 40mg. I have an alternative option of multivitamin - Nature Made Multi For Him. It is identical to the current one I have just without any iron. I will wait to confirm what I’m doing with my oat levels before deciding on this. If it stays at 300g oats, I will probably switch to the no iron multivit, giving me 12mg iron (from oats), which is just below the EU rda of 14mg for men.

5. Anything else I may have overlooked and need to take into consideration. All advice is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Also in case other people in the UK are interested in this recipe - it currently includes all supplements from BulkPowders, except maltodextrin and psyllium husk from MyProtein. This is because BP doesn’t list the nutritonal info for these two products on their site. I have emailed them and am waiting for a reply. If/when I get this I will switch to have everything from BP for simplicity’s sake.

Well, the iron i think is the standout problem… I assume you are a gent due to the calories, and iron is one of the ones you really don’t want to go too high on. Perhaps switch the multi to an ironless multi, that would be about perfect for iron?

Also, a possible tip as a fellow UK’er, if you don’t mind a waiting time when you order, you can make significant cost savings by ordering from iherb. Because UK customs are evil though, you need to keep each order under £15 (including the delivery cost) to ensure they don’t sting you with an £8+ customs charge. Iherbs delivery is $4. Its insane doing it this way, but you still get pretty nice savings by ordering smaller price items and shipping individually from the US (rip off Britain :frowning: )

Re oat, you should be able to find another oat powder on the forums somewhere with full nutritional info. Not unreasonable to assume a fairly standard nutritional breakdown.

1. Your way of allocating the carbs should be nutritionally sound, but as you say the quantity of oats might hurt the texture. This is really up to you to decide.

You might also find that that quantity of oats gives you digestive issues, such as excessive flatulence. If so one thing you can try is cooking the oats. (Put them in a bit of water, make oatmeal basically, and then add that to the soylent.) This could also solve the texture issue; here’s some inspiration in that direction. (Just make soylent oatmeal!)

1. See here for oat nutrition facts. Probably not 100% accurate, but better than nothing.

2. I don’t know whether you need a separate A supplement, but I bet it wouldn’t be hard to get. In the US it’s a few dollars at CVS. I bet the situation is similar in the UK. Also I think your units for vitamin A and E are inconsistent. It looks like your recipe amount and US RDA are in IU, and your EU RDA is in grams.

3. Sounds like you know what to do here; calculate how much iron the oats are giving, and decide accordingly.

4. Other than these things it looks great! Very nice job.

Thanks for yout input. Yeah regarding iron, I’m just waiting to confirm my oat/malto split before switching to an ironless mutli. I have one in mind that is exactly the same just without any iron, so will be an easy fix. Although with iron having a UL of 40mg (for men) and my current recipe at 30mg, is it even that big a deal?

Thanks for the iherb tip - I’ve actually looked into it already and also have seen a post of yours elsewhere re the £15 limit (great to know!). The only ingredient I can really make a significant saving on inc postage is potassium gluconate. No idea why it’s so much more expensive in the UK. Will most likely get my second batch of it from there. Do you buy everything you can from iherb?

The £15 limit I am almost certain of (the internet tells me it is correct)… but I have only personally tested it with 2 items so far :wink:

Atm I pick up I think only the potassium gluconate. I will probably grab the fibre as well when I need to reorder. For me it just depends on individual prices, as I am pretty good with ordering in advance, so if its cheaper I will get it from wherever.

Re iron, well, possibly ok. Worth noting though, that iron comes in 2 forms, heme and non heme. Heme is from animal sources, non heme from plant (I think iron in whey is also considered non heme). In terms of rda from heme you are looking at 8mg or therabouts, non heme 16-20ish (depending on sex and exercise levels etc). So this also depends on the type of iron in your supp.

Basically, the problem with too much iron though is, its hard for the body to get rid of. I haven’t got the research to prove it (so take this with a pinch of salt as I haven’t personally reviewed studies ;)), but too much iron has been implicated with some nasty stuff. I might be over blowing it as I am going off second hand info, but there doesn’t seem to be any advantage of going over rda at least (and its fairly easy to avoid).

Thanks for the reply. That oat powder thread was an interesting read. Clearly the jury is still out on the safety of consuming raw oats. That debate aside, for me personally daily cooking of oats takes too much away from my main attraction to soylent - convenience. Judging from other recipes and the digestive issues you mentioned, I think I would be better off reducing my oats to 200g - 250g, and keep it raw for now and see how I get on. Would be great if anyone here consuming raw 200g or more could weigh in here and give me some feedback on how it affects digestion, texture and taste.

Thanks for the oat nutrition link. Had seen it floating about before, but wasn’t sure about accuracy. But like you say is better than nothing so will add that in and see how it affects my micros.

You’re right about the inconsistent units for vitamins A, E and also D. I didn’t bother converting since I was using Rob’s RDAs as an initial guideline. Have noted this in the spreadsheet to avoid confusion.

Fish oil/cod liver oil is an easy source of vitamin A (and D) - it’s absolutely loaded with the stuff! Try ebay for cheap cod liver oil capsules, for example.

I wouldn’t use oats without cooking them. I find even 100g in my mix (2 litres or so) is excessive. That said, they aren’t so gloopy if you don’t cook them.

For extra carbs I would recommend Palatinose (available at myprotein). Much slower to turn to glucose in your blood than malodextrin, and fewer tertiary issues than ODing on oats.

Because “Now Foods”, an American brand, is the only there is for retail Potassium Gluconate.
Everything else you get is actually made (or well, packaged) by European companies, but American Potassium Gluconate is the only one we can get if we don’t buy it on pallets.

Whole Psyllium husks are a big mistake I think, they add to the texture much worse than powdered oats.
At least that’s what my guess is. I have tried whole psyllium husks, but not oats.
I use powdered psyllium husks (from bulkpowders) again, whole is horrible.

Also, keep in mind that using any kind of psyllium husks for fiber you should mix the dry powder with water and oil directly before drinking, not the night before. Unless you like to drink pudding. :smiley:

or maybe add extra water to that pudding, stir a bit and drink :stuck_out_tongue:

Great work. I’m very impressed at the data and spreadsheet. This is something that I really woudn’t have much of a clue about how to do it, but I would be way more confident about trying it, knowing it’s been looked at in such detail.
Question: the ‘daily cost’ figure of £3.69 - is that per serving or for a daily amount of say, 3 servings?

I haven’t seen Palatinose mentioned before. Are you using it? The myprotein page says it’s twice as sweet as sugar, so not sure how that would go down.

Great, thanks for the tip.

Regarding the psyllium husks - I should have mentioned I plan to switch to BP’s psyllium husk powder. I am just waiting for them to reply to my email giving me the accurate nutritional info which is not currently listed on their site. I’m sure it will be very similar to the MP data, but I’m just being pedantic and not putting it on the spreadsheet until I have accurate figures. Where did you get the info from since you’re using it? Did you just use a comparable products information?

Thanks Terry, but I used a lot of existing recipes as a guide. The daily cost is a total daily cost for ~2600 calories and the total macro and micro quantities shown on the spreadsheet. Since I don’t really have an idea of how much volume all of that will be I’m not sure how many servings it will be split into through the day, but my guess would be 4-5 shakes. So yes, it’s £3.69 in total for all my dietary needs per day.

It’s definitely not twice as sweet as sugar. I’d say in the ballpark of half. Not as sweet as sugar, but still a noticeable sweetness to it. I’m using it at 50g per day, that plus 25g of oats makes up my carbs.

There’s a bit of further discussion here: http://discourse.soylent.me/t/maltodextrin-side-effects-and-alternatives/4152

Yeah, I figured Psyllium husks would be Psyllium husks - and that any difference would be especially irrelevant since most of it is not absorbed by the body, at all.

If you really want to do something great then you need to add sunflower seed powder and pumpkin seed powder and NaNO3(for example from tomato) with flax seed powder and make it to anaerobic fermentation (like a kind of beer)

if it is going to be read then tell you why you have the name of the "Y Combinator"
1.“Y” - this is the god particle, acknowledgement of receipt by the Japanese. Higgs boson- unscientific nonsense
2.Combinator - a “grand combinator”, the hero of the comic novel “The Golden Calf” of the ukrainian writer
3.Only one person in the world to understand the cold nuclear fusion more than me is Boris Bolotov.
He also can tell you in detail how to make “real” soylent.
type in Google “Boris Bolotov , immortality”

Had to guess the cat :slight_smile:

Heh. not the same one, but close enough. :smiley:

Sounds good. I don’t know if sugar is a no-no in this formula? But I switched to Stevia (Tesco call it SteviaSweet) - it’s natural, non aspartame, non saccharine and £1.59 for 100 tablets. very nice taste.