Soylent recipe in helsinki (without amazon!)

Hi, I started to be interested last week in soylent. I usually eat everyday at the cafeteria of my campus, therefore this will have only a minor impact, but I would like to use it also for slightly longer periods so the goal is to set up a whole day intake. Though I eat outside quite often so I’m not worried too much about minor deficiencies, though major ones I would like to solve them soon. Please review my recipe below

I have reduced sulfur to a limited amount after reading here some discussions. I miss potassium, phosphorous, fiber, copper, and vitamin K. The best composition I could find in any shop here in Helsinki lacked these.

I planned to add all-bran kellog’s without milk (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/kelloggs-all-bran-flakes-high-in-fibre-crunchy-wholewheat-flakes-3179984#) increasing calories and carbs, then reduce MALTO6 so match good values.

I have a very sedentary life (though I’m always trying to change that) I am 1.75m tall and weight 71 kg, so I should also try to reduce some weight, any recommendation (apart of doing some sports)?

How would you recommend me to get those absent elements? Finland has strong regulations and most of the things you cannot get them through amazon :confused:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahbbvbjd5QradHVram9iNFUwc1JHSmhiWUhEMlQ2T3c&usp=sharing

Thanks!

Ramon

Well the most obvious thing is that if you’re looking to lose weight, scale back the calories you’re consuming. If you’re eating regular meals in addition to this you’re going to be taking in a lot of calories for a sedentary lifestyle. Your carbs and protein are similarly probably too high.

Your amount of Vitamin A is listed as 0.0015. Are you sure this is in IU (which is what the RDA is given in)? That’s just a vanishingly small amount, so I would double check the units. Similarly on Vitamins D & E.

It seems like everything has sodium in it, doesn’t it? Since your sodium is pretty high (especially if you’re eating additional meals, which will likely have their own amount of salt) you might consider using LoSalt. (http://www.losalt.com/where-can-i-buy/merchandise/) LoSalt is 33% sodium-chloride and 66% potassium-chloride. This will also help supplement your potassium, which is absent and likely hard to get enough from your additional meals. The website doesn’t list any stores it’s available in in Finland, but hopefully you can order it from their website. I ended up using half regular salt and half LoSalt in my recipe to balance my sodium levels.

I’m not sure what kalisol ORION is but it looks like a supplement to me. And mostly all it’s doing is bumping up things you already have plenty of. I see it’s your only source of phosphorus, but it might be a good idea to try to find a different source for that, and cut out the ORION.

That’s what I’ve seen so far. I’ll keep looking at it, and keep us up to date. Good luck with sourcing, I hope you can find what you need.

This is great- I was asking earlier if anyone had considered using Bran or Bran Flakes for fiber and iron- keep up updated on how that’s going!

Yeah, I wrote an email to kellog’s itself to see if they can provide nutrition facts without milk, so far I only found that data about one class of all bran I couldn’t find in the supermarket. I finally left temporarily the idea :frowning:

Hi Dylan, Thanks for your answer, I wouldn’t it the whole preparation if I’m going to have lunch outside, so I try to focus in a complete diet based on soylent. Regarding some vitamins, I changed from IU to mg (for the sake of clarity). I solved my problems with both potassium and phosphorus adding avocado (and bananas), which increase quite a lot the price, but have these nutrients I needed. Now my concern is whether this soylent will go bad in a few days, and specially some hypervitaminosis I might have in the recipe. What do you think about these issues?
Thanks a lot!

Very clever to use banana and avocado! I’m actually going to try that; I’d like to see what it does to the texture.

You don’t have enough phosphorus yet, and you don’t have enough choline. If you can get your hands on some lecithin (nutrition stores sell it), that will give you both of those.

Consider breaking up your molybdenum supplement into pieces; like maybe take a quarter of a pill.

Other than that, as far as I can tell your soylent recipe looks good!

Hmm, the banana and avocado would be my worries regarding shelf life. You certainly wouldn’t want it to spoil. Avocados are known for going bad pretty quick once they are removed from their seed. On the other hand, all the vitamins they are mixed in with may help to keep them viable. I honestly don’t know though.

Regarding your overages, it looks mostly okay to me. I’ve been running around these forums yelling at people about magnesium poisoning, but since most of yours is coming from actual food sources you should be fine, even though you’re over. Vitamin C and all of the B’s are water soluble, meaning it is very hard to get too much. Your body absorbs what it needs, and doesn’t have a way to store excess, so it flushes out of your system. You’ll likely have brightly colored urine, but it’s fine.

The one thing I really don’t know about is iron. It seems like you have a bunch, with most of it coming from a supplement. I would look into that some more, as I’ve heard that iron is something to be careful with overages on. Unfortunately, I don’t know anything more specific.

I wouldn’t expect this to keep very long, but neither does regular soylent, after you mix the powder with the water. What you can do is you can make the powder as far ahead of time as you want, but wait to add the banana and avocado at the same time that you’re adding the water.

Dylan is right about the iron, sorry for missing that. You might consider breaking up the iron tablet into quarters, like I suggested with the molybdenum tablet.

Thanks for the feedback! actually I marked with an asterisk those vitamins dangerous in overdose, as they are not hydrosoluble. I’ll check if I can get some lecithin and update the google doc and I will take portions of the tablets!
Thanks!

Hi, I got the lecithin, however, it seems difficult to know how much phosphorus or choline is in lecithin. I found in some webpages that around 1% phosphorus and around 28% choline. What do you think?

In addition, how much water approximately do you add? the beginners recipe says as much as you want for your liking, any recommendations?

Thanks!

Nice luck on finding the lecithin! I have the following nutrition facts for my lecithin (which is soy lecithin). In a 15g serving:

110 calories
Fat 8g
Sodium 2mg
Potassium 240mg
Calcium 21mg
Iron 1mg
Phosphorus 450mg
Vitamin E 12.21 IU
Vitamin K 184 mcg
Choline 450mg

My recipe has 20g lecithin, which provides 600mg phosphorus and 600mg choline.

As far as how much water to use, people vary in their preferences. I put about a fifth of my mix into a little under two cups of water. That gives it a consistency similar to whole milk. If I wanted to live entirely on soylent for a day (a thing which I still have not done!), I would be drinking maybe nine cups of shake. That seems like a lot of liquid, but it’s actually within reason; the Institute of Medicine recommends that men drink about 13 cups of water per day, so I’d still be drinking at least four cups of liquid outside of the shake.

On the other hand, @J_Jeffrey_Bragg says he mixes his soylent to about the consistency of custard, freezes it, and eats it like ice cream. And I met a guy who put his whole soylent mix into one blender load and drank it throughout the day; his soylent was very thick.

Nick, I drink usually two big pots of tea each day, that’s a couple quarts of fluid, plus additional water; I just prefer not to rely on soylent as my main fluid intake. (Probably obvious, but just for clarity’s sake!)

FWIW, here’s my current “Helsinki LZ-Boy v1.5” recipe:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ArCjbPd2myvDdHhBRmVxSTliRGpwVm9xVTlJQmwtUHc&gid=0

It’s seems pretty well balanced now, but using Nutrilett low-calorie diet shake as a mineral/vitamin base makes it a bit expensive. Though I’m not after extreme monetary savings, but Nutrilett it’s a bit inconveniently packed (big cardboard box w/ 5 separate paper bags per daily dose) and also a bit too heavily flavored to my taste, so it I’d love to find some other powder(s) to replace it.

I haven’t actually tried this v1.5 yet since I’ve still got some of my hemp protein based v. 1.0 stuff left (which didn’t yet contain potassium chloride; hope it’s not gonna make v1.5 inedible).

Thank you Terpertim, It seems indeed well balanced, besides using avocado gives a strong flavor, that at least in my case, made a little bit disgusting to drink. I will try your recipe!
kiitos paljon

You’re quite welcome. If you try it, do double check my calculations while you’re at it!
[Edit: properly shared link to a downloadable spreadsheet below, with formulas and all.]

I actually did a little tweaking today, to make sure it contains DHA/EPA omega3 fatty acids. Opti3 now replaces the previous vitamin D supplement (it’s algae based pills from vegetukku, not fish oil as I’d ideally like to make my recipe fully vegan at some point).

Here’s v1.6:

Take a look at www.makesoylent.com for a few recipes that will work well in Finland. There is a great Vegan recipe. It would be much less expensive to work with rolled oats, flax, and soy protein isolate as the base of a vegan recipe.

Oh yes, “Vegan Dry DEVA-Multivitamin Formula” looks like a nice base! Way too much omega-3 from flax seed currently, but that should be easy to fix. A bit more work to find a local replacement for Deva, but let’s see…

It certainly isn’t that easy to get separate, powdered micronutrients in Finland and as such I ended up using a variation of the Hacker School Recipie. My recipe looks like this:

120g oat flour
85g whey
85g olive oil
75g maltodextrin
25g ground flax
20g cocoa powder
15g soy lecithin
5g calcium citrate
15g potassium gluconate
2g iodized salt
2 capsules Opti-Women multivitamin
1 vitamin D supplement of your choice

For a 2000kcal daily diet. You can easily reduce the caloric intake by dropping some maltodextrin and/or olive oil if you want to lose weight.

I have not found Finnish sources for the powdered potassium or calcium, but you can order them from iherb.com at a reasonable price. One bottle of each plus shipping comes at just under the limit so they don’t have to go through customs.

This has been the easiest, cheapest and most comprehensive recipe I’ve found available for Finns, if someone else has improvements to any of these 3 metrics I’d be glad to hear them.

Here’s what I use:

Apparently less pleasant tasting than gluconate but works for me.

Could you provide a spreadsheet / nutrition data for the ingredients, btw?

Potassium Chloride is an inferior version of potassium as far as I know:

so I’ll stick with ordering gluconate from iHerb for now.

Since the recipe is someone elses doing originally I only did some crude sanity check calculations to see everything is in the correct ballpark so I don’t have a proper spreadsheet with everything listed. Original post here:

http://www.cookingfor20.com/2013/06/18/hacker-school-soylent-recipe/

Nutritional data for crude calculations dug up from:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/