Soylent scares me

I scrapped my entire original soylent recipe, which was entirely made from food sources.

It tasted like utter crap. I wouldn’t force my worst enemy to eat it, although if he did, he’d have great nutrition.

My new recipe is all pure sources, as soylent should be. It’s strawberry flavored, and although I haven’t had any yet, I’m sure it will taste 100 times better than the former recipe.

There’s just one problem. I’m scared of it. It takes a rather large amount of potassium to fill your daily needs, and an almost equally large amount of calcium and magnesium.

I can’t honestly say that I won’t be a little worried when I take my first sip, although if it’s my last, it’ll taste delicious.

It’s interesting, when I first started on my recipe (which was mostly pure sources) I thought it tasted awful, so I ended up changing it a LOT to make it tolerable. However, I just recently heard from some folks who tried out the original version and they said it tasted great. To each their own I guess.

It is an intimidating thing to jump into. I can only imagine what Rob was thinking when he made the first batch. It’s actually pretty amazing that he didn’t kill himself.

Haha, yeah. I nearly did already. I drank a monster after eating one of my soylents and the results of that were not good at all.

Honestly, I’m glad he’s done most of the testing for us, because it’s a dangerous thing which is easy to forget.

Mine is essentially just protein isolate, a multivitamin and some citrates of various minerals. It’s actually really tasty. But not surprisingly the citrates have a citrus flavor so I would recommend those over the glucosinates.

What’s your recipe now?

Well I’m using Spiru-tein, which is a protein shake an multivitamin all in one. So I drink that with some milk, but then everything else, all my macros, go into a separate mix that I don’t add much water to, so it essentially turns into a batter. I bake that and essentially have the protein shake and a dozen cookies every day. They’re pretty good, though they taste a lot more protein-y than cookies normally do. And having my multivitamin separate keeps the baking from denaturing all my vitamins.

I’m sorry, but I don’t really understand what you’re getting at. What are you scared of? Are you afraid that your body will be shocked by the fact that you’re actually getting the recommended intake of potassium and calcium that you should be getting?

I don’t know about anyone else, but to date I haven’t seen anyone report any negative effects of this.

In fact, the most telling piece of consistent data that I see reported across the board is that people who begin consuming Soylent nearly exclusively, and then go back to regular food report back that amongst all of the other effects, the most noticeable is that they are simply exhausted. That’s telling enough to me.

I’m only replying because your ‘title’ for this thread is obviously one designed to get attention … but you haven’t really stated your case. What are you scared of?

Some have experienced temporary headaches that may be attributable to the sudden increase in potassium intake. Not exactly an argument against soylent, but for some people, it seems to take some time for the body to adjust.

The first time I heard of potassium deficiency being A Thing, was here - where someone is describing the effects of “taking a dose of 50% of the recommended daily potassium, all in one go”. He describes it thus:

Could conceivably be a headache.

re: headaches - I’ve been playing around in the field of “cleanses” and radical dietary changes for the last three years and I can tell you this…if someone who is eating a trash diet…full of sugar and high carb intake which is causing insulin spikes, and toxins in their food, switches on a dime to a formula (whether it be juicing, fasting, diet, or a liquid meal) which does NOT include all the sugar, high carbs, and toxins - headaches are very very likely. (from the withdraw of those things just as much as, in the case of soylent specifically, the increase of much needed nutrients)

re: experimentation is scary - it’s not easy to step outside of mainstream thinking when it comes to our health and our own bodies. Regardless of a lack of scientific data that would suggest that this is an unhealthy route to take, there are still a lot of unknowns, and a LOT of outside pressure (which filters in whether we want it to or not) designed to make us think this is unhealthy, and downright dangerous.

Social conditioning is tough to get around. I’ve been experimenting with my health and body for years now, without the guidance of health professionals. I’ve “fixed” more things than doctors have, up until this point so it wasn’t in the least curious to me that Rob, a guy with no credentials, came up with this idea and then went ahead and implemented it. The first family member I mentioned this too? Their first concern was that he had no credentials.

Funny story sort of related to this - I experimented with Kefir for a while. In case you don’t know what Kefir is, it’s fermented milk. You get these live cultures, put it in milk, and leave it on a counter for 12-24 hours. It’s supposed to be super healthy, and many cultures other than ours consider it a staple in their diets. Not only was I fermenting it, but I was also using farm fresh milk (which even has scientific data to back up how much healthier it is than conventional pasteurized milk). The combination of those two things…two taboos that are SO ingrained into our culture…I was certain I was going to kill myself with my first batch. Who willingly drinks unpasteurized “spoiled” milk??? Many people feel the same way about any fermented food, even though in other cultures, it’s a staple. I think this is kind of like that. While meal replacement drinks may not be big in other cultures, it’s new to us, and therefore for some people, lots of social and cultural taboos to get around when it comes down to the wire.

Cool. Proteins denature under heat though, don’t they?

Denaturation of proteins is not a problem

I immediately began getting these exact types of headaches. I also had headaches on a regular basis beforehand though, and those are gone now.

I have to interject though that vegans often have normal circulating levels of B12 and choline despite neither of these being present in their diet. This is because their bodies simply make them more readily available to compensate. So how important getting an exact nutrient content really is I don’t know.

Yeah it’s a sensationalist title. I’m practicing before I start a blog lol.

One of my biggest fears is that I’m getting too much fat in my diet now. Normally I would rarely get any fat and given that I have a heart murmur (Could be innocent, might not be) I am a little worried about the effects of a diet higher in fat.

There has been some discussion, and I’ve looked into it but I haven’t really found any solid evidence that it’s enough of an effect to be an issue. Additionally I’m getting a good amount of protein both from the Spiru-tein and milk outside of the cooking process, so any that gets lost is made up for there, since my recipe is somewhat over in protein anyway.

Denaturation of proteins is not a problem

Well according to the opening remarks on Wikipedia, you would know if the proteins were being denatured because they would become insoluble.

A good test is probably to cook your protein sources separately and see if they lose solubility.

It has been said numerous times that after training your body to live on far below required Potassium, you should be afraid of immediately taking the recommended dose, so if there is any chance your current diet is significantly weak in Potassium, you should start with a large deficit of Potassium and introduce it over the course of over a week. (Your body does need it, and will run better, but there is such a thing as Potassium shock, at a too sudden change to the recommended level. (That includes getting to it cumulatively over more than one day, that is why over a week is recommended.)

I’m not finding any supplementary evidence for this claim - care to provide any? Over the last 8 months or so I’ve had several occasions where I’ll reach my daily potassium RDA suddenly, sometimes several days in a row, with no ill effects. And then back to the drawing board and living on 20-50% RDA, and so on - I might just be personally able to handle it, but I’d like to see something official if you’re making health risk claims.

Proteins denature under heat, but your body breaks down the proteins into their constituent amines anyhow. Proteins are your bodies source of amino acids, so denaturing them is actually not a big deal.
Concerns about ingesting x or y proteins that have been connected to a or b maladies are generally misguided - research on proteins and their role in disease are mostly all focused on blood serum levels, not ingested levels. If you have an imbalance in your blood serum levels, it’s very likely caused by something going wrong in your body itself and not the protein in your food intake.
Severe imbalance of food intake can and will cause problems with things like diabetes, which will lead to the aforementioned blood serum changes. But it’s practically never a result of ingesting a specific protein or “hormone precursor.”