"Soylent Schmoylent: The New York Times Drinks Silicon Valley's Powdered Protein Kool-Aid, Again"

The best part about this piece is the picture of the drone carrying a bag of Soylent,

Their title statement that The New York Times “drank the Kool-Aid” is flawed if they even bothered to read the article.

The author of the article is a troll.

ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!
This whole bizarro world is reaching meta-levels now. I can barely wrap my head around it.

Where the frack did this whole referring-to-Soylent-as “protein” shake or powder thing come from? The recent NYTimes story? Thanks a lot!

I think this may be displacing “Soylent Green is made of People” as my biggest misconception pet peeve.

Actually there are so many… and this article hits them ALL!! (Including of course the Soylent Green crap).

In order, through the article:

1. Constipated 24 yr old… Really!!!
  2. Protein shake… Aaaarrrgh!!!
  3. “heralding an end to the tiresome chore of enjoying delicious food, and/or chewing.” Yeah yeah, don’t be shy, tell us how you really feel.
  4. “Referring to a horror film”… no, referring to a book.
  5. “unhealthy experiment”… Perhaps the author needs healthy alternatives… like Mcdonalds.
  6. Soylent is not easy to re-sell (perhaps due to the collapse of the previous 6month backlog and 48hr shipping from Rosa Labs?.. which the NYTimes got wrong as well)
  7. "All these shakes taste bad… " While some around here might agree vis a vis 1.4, I don’t think that’s really a problem for the concept.
  8. “long wait lists to receive, say, Schmilk”… uhm… see #6 and I don’t think there was ever a wait list for Schmilk or Schmoylent.
  9. trendy tech people like Soylent/soylent. So? “Is that really a reason to start taking Soylent seriously??” (yes, that’s two question marks) No… that’s not a reason. Reiterating the reasons why you SHOULD take Soylent/soylent seriously would obviously be a waste of time up against the defiantly ignorant Caleb Pershan.
  10. Of course we finish with the Soylent Green clip. classy.

I think all the stories over the last few days were spawned by that NY Times piece, as well as the references to “protein powder”.

Perhaps we need to come up with something catchier, like “nutrient powder” or “nutrition powder” or “meal powder” or something else. Protein is actually the lowest macronutrient: it makes more sense to call it “carb powder” than “protein powder”.

(I’d like to apologize for the proliferation of quotation marks.)

I really goes to show journalistic integrity has gone. They use other news outlets and articles as their sources so it’s a ring of potentially inaccurate mess like this has been. It’s more than enough to make you question what else they never bother to fact check and publish.

Why not just call it “food powder”? That’s closer than the alternatives I’ve heard.

I’m pretty sure Soylent says “powdered food” right on the box. It used to, anyway.

Yes it does.