Soylent seems expensive

At $255 for a month, that’s basically what the average person spends on actual groceries a month, more or less. And that’s before you even consider the water cost on just soylent alone. So we’re looking closer to $300 a month. And keep in mind, things like groceries come at a premium already from added costs of doing business, like refrigeration, making up for spoiled food losses, etc. Many of these costs are simply nonexistent when it comes to soylent.

It just seems like soylent could be more affordable…one of the reasons why I’d be drawn to such a way of nutrition is to save money. But with soylent, I wouldn’t be saving any money really, I’d just be trading savory meals for unsavory meals, and potentially paying the same or more…there’s just no incentive, not even if you factor in the simplicity. I mean I can very quickly throw together a nutritious healthy salad in less than a minute, with the works…so there’s just as much simplicity in preparing regular foods too.

It just seems like soylent is trying to appeal to the wealthy hipster health nut type of person…the kind that eat out at suit and tie restaurants often where $50 for a plate is considered low priced. .Not soo much appealing to the average joe.

We’re a pretty solid market :smile:

Can you explain how water (that you should be drinking anyways) is going to cost you an extra $45?

Soylent averages to about $3 or $4 per meal I think, which is about half the price of a fast food meal.

Just think about how expensive cooking at home is, how much is an hour of your time worth? Power, cleanup, ingredients, etc.

Your salad won’t have the same nutrition that Soylent has. Some people also do not like salad and do not want to continuously go to a grocery store, pick out ingredients, keep them clean in the refrigerator, wash, cut, and prepare a salad. I have to have some kind of dressing on my salads, and that adds a lot of fat and calories.

There are very few product that appeal to everyone, maybe you don’t like Soylent and don’t have an incentive to use it, but a lot of people love it.

Soylent isn’t cheap if you live a place where healthy food is cheap. I can agree on that. But there are many hidden costs for normal food that you may not consider, depending on what you are making and your life style. Consider driving costs to the market… Consider the cost of preparing your food on the stove or oven… Consider storage costs of the freezer or refigurator… Consider cleaning cost of your dishes and such. :slight_smile: on a 100% Soylent diet (not that everyone is on that). Those costs would be dratically reduced, combined with a almost 0% waste. (The bag itself being the main waste)

But of cause, it is possible to get food which is a lot cheaper if you live a place where food is cheap. But after considering the above… Soylent is not expensive for the majority.

(By the way… A salad isn’t really THAT healthy, it is just not unhealthy)

… And another post that makes me want to scream ‘BULLSHIT’ really loud.

1. Search the board. Discussed extensivly. Average Joes’ expenses differ widely.
  2. Time is more valuable to many when crossing a certain threshold. Subjective.
  3. Many advantages, like constant calories, nutrient composition etc.
  4. Are you a troll? Your last paragraph smells. Like Bullshit and troll. Have fun with that, bro.

Note: With the exception of fiber, salad is worthless. The only nutrition you can get from it is in what you add to it.

It’s a goal to get the price down. That being said we base our label of cheap vs the cost people incur when they choose other quick meals. So the cost of say Soylent vs. fast food.

I agree with @openend here.

Show us your video of you preparing a salad with “the works” in less than one minute. And then tell us how the nutritional value of that salad compares to even half a serving (250cal) of Soylent.

Go!

Monthly cost
Low-cost plan: $241.60
Moderate cost plan: $303.60

Actually, Soylent costs significantly less than a “moderate-cost plan”. That puts it in the “low-cost plan” category since the Soylent plan includes delivery (and even a free pitcher to mix it in), whereas the low-cost plan requires time/cost for shopping, cooking, etc.

What are using, bottled water from a remote island shipped to you on a boat? Tap water costs about one tenth of a cent per gallon. So that’s a grand total of 1.5 cents per month. It truly is insignificant.

Yep, I am pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to afford to eat if I had a months worth of conventional food FEDEXed to me on a monthly basis.

(Ok, I would be able to afford to eat, since I have a decent job, but I would no longer be able to aggressively save.)

My monthly food budget went down considerably when I started using Soylent.

(…and I have more time…and I am much healthier.)

Yes, it is just one data point, but it is really the only data point that I care about. (me)

Try it for a week and then compare to other options. I think you are just approaching it from a theoretical point of view. I am on a very limited budget, yet I find that consuming Soylent leaves me noticeably richer than I was before. And healthier. In a way, it is counterintuitive, but it works.

I think some of you really need to either lay off the soylent or drink more, because your blood pressure is through the roof.

Depends on where you get your water. From the tap would definitely require a filter, and really doesn’t have a mineral balance for taste. So I typically buy gallons of water. That ranges from $1-$1.50 per gallon. At say a gallon per day for an entire month, That does fill the gap in the estimated cost. Now you might only drink half a gallon a day, that’s still adding to the cost. We typically do get much of our water needs from regular food too, not just what we drink…so even if you drink 2 liters a day, you’re actually using more water than that.

Then you were either over eating, or spending too much money on certain items either from name brand or whatever, because the fact is, the average single person shouldn’t be spending even $250 on food per month.

If you’re already over spending, then sure, soylent might seem cheaper, but that is by no means a reason to imply it is cheaper in general. I already pointed as much out in my first post…even if you’re not wealthy the point still applies.

But for a person who already has a good handle on their grocery spending costs, soylent is either just as expensive or more expensive.

Yeah, maybe on a 100% soylent diet…but it’s not like you’re going to unplug your fridge, you’re still going to use it to store some things, even if it’s just water. That means the cost is pretty much still there.

As for the other costs, I don’t think they really add up to much or are reduced all that much. You’re still going to have to wash dishes out. Cooking food really isn’t that expensive of a cost.

Even then, are you going to turn off the gas going to your house? In the summer for example, much of my gas costs come from transfer fee’s for having the line simply activated. And in winter well…it’s going far more toward heating, not cooking.

So I can say with certainty that cooking definitely doesn’t add much to cost. There are also many things a person can introduce to their diet that they don’t have to cook, or even use dishes for. Example: peanuts are a good source of many nutrients. Open, pour in hand, munch down. simple, healthy.

A $2 bag of pre-made pre-washed salad, makes about 3-4 salads for me. It can also include other things like carrots, so not just leaf. Throw in a little broken up slices of cheese, several green olives (very healthy), and heck maybe even a few broke up slices of ham for protein, throw some salad dressing on it, and you’ve got a pretty good salad. You can throw pretty much anything in there, without the need for cooking at all.

If you use dressing sparingly, or even get the right dressing, you can control those calories. About a table spoon or two of dressing is typically 140 calories. But you really don’t need a lot of dressing. I’ve even seen dressings as low as 25 calories per table spoon. In any case, a total salad might be maybe 400 calories in the higher end? That’s less than 1/4th of a 2000 calorie diet. Not bad at all.

Overall, I can make more than several salads for fairly cheap, even with all ingredient costs considered.

But salads aren’t the only foods that can be had for cheap and fill your nutrition. Fresh fruit for example, pea crisps (pea based chips), I could go on and on. With my general diet I’m practically vegan with how little meat I eat, and I have plenty of options. Although it’s less about being vegan and more about practical nutrition.

I wouldn’t say food is particularly cheap where I live, in fact I’m probably at the upper end of food costs due to high taxes…and even then, soylent doesn’t come out as a clear winner.

Now there’s all kind of things I could go into, but I won’t because then I’d have to write a short book.

Exactly…a point a lot of people who consider soylent ‘‘expensive’’ miss. To the OP, i thought salad is rich hipster food.

I am not against RL wanting to try to price it less, its just that its not as expensive you think it is (or most of you think it is) when you consider everything.

Since you are concerned about price, I recommend “fill yourself” bottles. They cost much much less. Funny how you add in the cost of water to Soylent which most people spend less than a penny a day on, but you ignore all the costs and time associated with shopping, cooking, and cleaning.

Funny how the USDA disagrees with you.

Do we really need 100 threads on Soylent cost? Can we merge them together or something?

(Just as a side note, Soylent costs me $334 up here in Canada. That’s a pretty absurd difference in price, considering food prices between Canada and the US is pretty negligible…)

Wow that’s surprising. That’s the normal US shipping plus $80. Is the exchange rate that much?

Yes, the USD is quite strong lately, so any exports from the US like Soylent is going to be expensive for you.

Yes, $255 USD = $334 CAD.