Soylent seems expensive

Yep. It sucks because, as I’ve said, food costs are pretty close to the same up here, so it’s pretty much way more than I can afford right now, and considerably higher than a typical food budget for 1 person (And I live right outside Vancouver). I’d love to be 100% Soylent, but I have to stretch it out over way more than a month to make the cost more manageable.

In addition to its selling points of health, time, and cost, Soylent essentially sells an ideal which does attract a certain type of person. Not wealthy hipster health nuts though, more like engineers and science/tech enthusiasts and self-optimizers.

The cost does seem odd at first as it’s not lower than grocery shopping for many people. Solely comparing the price of Soylent to the price of grocery shopping will leave one wondering why they include “low cost” in their marketing. However when you look at both the other major advantages, health and time, no other diet provides those two at this low of a price. If you want to save time you either pay a lot more in money or take a big hit in health, if you want to get the health benefits you have to sacrifice either money or time and often both.

There are a few other notable advantages: it’s vegan, low environmental impact, low trash production, easy to store and long shelf life so unlikely to go to waste. Not going to waste is probably actually a pretty big advantage considering around 15% of normal foods get thrown out at the household level.

1 Like

I’m a “busy professional” and Soylent has taken my daily food expense from $20 down to $15 or less (I’m still tweaking how much fiber and protein stuff I’m adding). It also has enabled me to eat on my terms, so there are less nights where I’m eating “dinner” immediately before bed.

It also enables me to only eat when I’m hungry since it is immediately available and stop when I’m not hungry. If there’s too long of a gap between getting hungry and eating, my blood sugar drops and I’m stuck in a bad place.

The best benefit is I don’t take a lunch break at work if I don’t want to. That time savings is worth its weight in gold.

@Conor And what service is Soylent providing to base Soylent off the cost of fast food? You see, fast food provides not only the food, but they cook for me, wrap it for me, put it together for me, etc. With Soylent, it’s a powder and I have to do the adding water (you don’t even give me all the ingredients), I have to mix it, etc. Your post is an admission that Soylent can’t compete with typical grocery store prices, and I’d like to point out that I can get about 1500 calories for that $6-$7 where I’m only getting about 1000 through Soylent. I used to live off of one big meal a day. I can’t do that with Soylent because it’s designed for 4 meals a day (which is $9/day).

I’ve thought about this more. I’ve talked to others about it. Nobody around me will touch it with a 10 foot pole because of it’s expense. I live in the Midwest where food isn’t as expensive. It seems people who live on the coasts (where food is more expensive) are pretty happy with the cost, but Midwesterners are not. Why not provide one price for the Midwesterners and leave it where it’s at for the coasts? This type of pricing method is very common and people tend to make less money in the Midwest.

I’m quite frustrated with this “we’re trying to get prices down” narrative that we have been hearing for quite some time now with absolutely no idea about how you are going about doing that. Care to shed some light to prove that the RL’s is actually doing what they are saying they are doing? The timer is ticking for a lot of us, and the longer this goes with no results the more it feels like a company deceiving it’s customers. (And btw, you’re not going to hear people complain about costs much because the people who care about the costs just stay away, but I’m sure your market research would confirm exactly what I’m saying about the Midwest.)

1 Like

Dude please don’t waste people’s time with stuff like this. You are needlessly harsh and act like Soylent only exists so serve you. Price is a question of supply vs demand. If it’s too expensive for you then buy another product or mix some yourself.

Complaining that you have to add water (“you dont even give me all the ingredients”), pretending that RL is deceiving everyone, come on, grow up man.

5 Likes

I challenge you to a race. You drive to the fast food restaurant, and I’ll mix a serving of Soylent. Whoever finishes getting their meal, eating/drinking it, and cleaning up afterwards, first wins.

$255 for 28 days = $9.10 for 2000 calories = $6.80 for 1500 calories.

4 Likes

The amount of calories per dollar really isn’t relevant anyway.

I mean, I could (try to) subsist off of drinking pure oil if I wanted to. Using this, it comes out to over 5000 calories per dollar, and that is likely not even the cheapest option out there.

2 Likes

Re-read your post and tell me who the one is acting like Soylent is only meant for them. You act as if I have no right to complain or talk bad about Soylent at all. I have every right, especially as a buyer and consumer of the product. If you don’t like it, you’re free to not read my posts.

Sure. Lets start at the mall. You have to drive home (unless you brought it with you). I don’t. Now go find yourself some water. Find a place to refrigerate it. Find a place to clean it all up. I’ll just walk to the food court and have them do everything for me. Of course, you aren’t acknowledging that fast food is giving me a service, you aren’t acknowledging variety, etc. You are on the verge of derailing another thread in your endless attempt to defend it at every turn even when someone makes valid complaints about it. What you try to do is distract from the original points by bringing up new points without actually dealing with the old points. It’s almost as if you sell your own version of Soylent or something.

McChicken = 360 calories * 6 = 2,160 calories for $6 (all services and condiments included for free)

And lets ignore the grocery store, because even @Conor knows they can’t compete with those prices.

I’m pretty sure that I’m not the only poor person who has used that metric. In the past, kcal/$USD was my only consideration in “menu planning”.

1 Like

So, if that was your only consideration, did you drink pure oil like I linked to? That is the most calorie dense/cheapest thing I can think of at 5137 kcals/$USD. (Perhaps store brand Crisco might be higher kcals/$USD?)

…or perhaps that wasn’t your only consideration…

1 Like

Unfortunately, no. Hopefully, I’ll never again be in that situation but I’ll certainly remember that for future reference.

1 Like

As discussed before, that would be much less healthy.

Driving to the store, walking the aisles, checking out, driving home, preparing the meals, cleaning up the meals…Too much time…

3 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

You probably think that my reply was snarky but I’m perfectly serious. Proper nutrition is an impossible luxury when you’re very poor and very hungry.

1 Like

I think that those who find Soylent insufficiently valuable for the money and not really that convenient should stop buying it. If Soylent sales start falling, I think that RL is smart enough to figure out what that means.

Personally, I think that enough of us are willing to pay the price that sales will continue to rise for some time.

3 Likes

Oh, believe me, I have had plenty of mac 'n cheese, frozen $0.99 pizzas, ramen, peanut butter and jelly, etc. meals over the years. (In fact, I subsisted almost entirely on that kind of stuff for a long time.)

I would love to see Soylent be able to fill that demographic some day. Really, some of the DIY soylents I have seen have been pretty cheap and on par with very cheap meals. I wish I would have known about them back when I was subsisting on that cheap stuff.

2 Likes

I agree. I don’t sign on to message boards to complain about the cost of a Lamborghini or high end wine or any of a thousand things…I just don’t buy those things. Putting a bunch of time and effort into complaining about something being too expensive seems a bit silly to me…just don’t buy it.

5 Likes

I understand and empathize with you. I have a formula about to leave the bench and go into pilot which will be 100% nutrition for $5 USD/day (shipping included to lower 48) when it goes into full production. My total thrust will be constant cost reduction.

2 Likes

Of course it would be (from what we know anyways because as it stands, we don’t know what the long-term impacts of Soylent are as nobody has been on Soylent for decades as it hasn’t been around for decades), but that’s not what was being discussed. If you want to talk about that, there are healthy options. And we can get into all of the other benefits such as variety and all of that kind of stuff and go round and round like usual. I mean, that’s how people defend Soylent. Instead of sticking to one thing they just move on to the next thing and say, “But Soylent has this!” Of course those people don’t look at what Soylent alternatives have as well. Soylent will always seem amazing if you only look at the benefits of Soylent and downfalls of the alternatives. I would criticize Soylent much less if others were willing to criticize it more, but unfortunately these forums are nothing but homerism for Soylent (and not in a good way).

Have the groceries delivered to you then. You know, grocery stores do that these days. There are many inconveniences about Soylent as well such as transportation, refrigeration, etc. Do you see how you only look at the benefits of Soylent and the negatives of alternatives to Soylent? But here we are again, derailed from the legitimate topic of Soylent being expensive for what it is. Rosa Labs should listen to you if it wants to be a non-mainstream fad that doesn’t survive. They should listen to me if they want to be expand globally.

1 Like