Soylent survey with new product ideas

No more cooking, to no more refrigeration (to save the environment), to doing a lot of processing in the kitchen to make Soylent powder taste good (why don’t I just cook?), to shipping a bunch of bottles of water (to ruin the environment?)?

I’m done. I haven’t purchased any Soylent since you removed the flavoring, and since, from the survey I just got, it doesn’t seem like you are going to add any, that’s it for me.

I wish everyone luck who enjoys it, but the train of logic that RL has posted, makes no sense.

Goodbye RL.

Did we get the same survey? Mine had coffee Soylent and chocolate Soylent… Although the proposed prices seemed rather high.

The prices seemed on-par with current 2.0 prices, pre-discount.

Just finished taking the survey. The ideas all seem neat, but prices were all a bit high for me.

Did anyone notice the $1.76/400kcal price they put on the bulk 1.6? Is that without the subscription discount, so they’re proposing a price cut? Or after discount, and they’re proposing a price increase?

Wow… When I took the survey the price for the 5000kcal 1.6 container was much higher… Almost double the price of the pouches (per kcal). I wonder if different versions of the survey have different prices. That would make sense.

I’m very interested in the prices. They have always said that reasonable pricing is a priority so I think the prices were more for people who are not subscribing.

If 1.6 is good (meaning no death farts) then I will be switching to mostly that and using 2.0 when I’m busy, lazy or forget to mix any 1.6 the night before. I’m torn on the idea of bulk powder since I would have to measure instead of just dumping the bag into a pitcher.

I like the idea of chocolate 2.x. My mother in law drinks a chocolate Boost a day so we could replace that.

I don’t drink coffee so I have not interest in that.

DO YOU NEED A BETA TASTE TESTER FOR THE CHOCOLATE SOYLENT? :hand_splayed::hand_splayed:

1.6 is the first version of the powder since 1.3 to have flavoring. Shipping starts this week, apparently. I haven’t seen any reviews yet, but I’m hopeful. I’ve been exclusively drinking 2.0 since last year. I even sold the rest of my 1.5.

Survey?

I didn’t see a survey but i’ll put my vote in for getting the big tub of 1.6, assuming it’s cheaper.

Email survey. Subject line: “Help Soylent develop our newest product ideas”

At Soylent, we’re always experimenting with new ways to deliver complete nutrition to our growing community. We wanted to reach out to that community to get your thoughts on new product ideas that we currently have cooking.

The survey should take only 3-5 minutes to complete, and we greatly appreciate your contribution to future Soylent products. Upon completion of the survey, if you provide us an email address, you will be entered into a raffle to win 1 of 10 Amazon gift cards worth $50.

From reddit:

From what I remember, they pitched 4 ideas

1. Soylent 3.0 - Soylent 2.0 + 1.0 Cup of Coffee (150mg)
  1. Soylent Chocolate - Soylent 2.0 with a chocolate flavor.
  2. Soylent Water, a flavored water drink + caffeine.
  3. Soylent 2.0 sold in four packs.
  4. Soylent 1.6 in 5000 calorie jugs.

Ah, email. Haven’t gotten that yet. I look forward to it.

The price I saw on the bulk 1.6 in the survey was $4.00 per 400 kcal. Absurdly high, but from the other responses here I’d guess they asked different people different dollar amounts. Makes sense to figure out how to price it.

I think @proeber must have gotten the question about a post-workout recovery drink type thing. I got that too, but maybe @GregH didn’t get that one. It proposed a non-nutritionally-complete beverage with a focus on protein, hydration, workout recovery stuff. But since it seems like it would have a higher ratio of water to nutritional goodies, it makes even less sense than 2.0 to ship large boxes of it.

I didn’t think to copy all the information (and apparently you can’t look at the survey again after you submit it!), but I did send some of the descriptions to a friend.

Coffee Soylent 3.0 would be a 400 calorie nutritionally complete meal and a cup of coffee in one bottle.The drink would have a rich coffee flavor and 150 mg of caffeine. Coffee Soylent 3.0 would have an ideally balanced macronutrient ratio for sustained energy, including 20g of protein. Its healthy essential fatty acids would come from Algal oil, which is produced efficiently in bioreactors rather than traditional farms to conserve enormous quantities of natural resources.

Coffee Soylent 3.0 would make it easier to start your day by combining two essential parts of your morning routine: breakfast and coffee.

It would be sold in packs of 12 bottles online and would be available for subscription. The product would have a one year shelf life and a recyclable bottle to reduce waste.

I think the price was $3 per bottle.

Chocolate flavored Soylent 2.1 would be a 400 calorie nutritionally complete meal in one bottle. It would have an ideally balanced macronutrient ratio for sustained energy, including 20g of protein and a rich chocolate flavor with a low glycemic index. Its healthy essential fatty acids would come from Algal oil, which is produced efficiently in bioreactors rather than traditional farms to conserve enormous quantities of natural resources.

It would be sold in packs of 12 bottles online and would be available for subscription. The product would have a one year shelf life and a recyclable bottle to reduce waste.

Soylent’s enhanced protein water would have functional extras like 7g of protein, caffeine, and electrolytes. The novel use of algal protein has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity and gives this drink a brilliant blue and red color, unprecedented in hydration drinks. Slow-digesting carbohydrates, caffeine, and l-theanine would provide sustained energy.

Note: it says 7 g but one of the questions was how much protein you would like per 500 ml (up to > 20 g iirc).

Soylent Powder 1.6 is a nutritionally complete vegan drink mix that provides an optimally balanced ratio of protein fats and carbs. It takes much less time to prepare than traditional food. This canister contains 2.5 pounds of Soylent powder, which is 5,000 calories, or about 10 full meals. By delivering in bulk we reduce packaging waste. It is free of trans fat and cholesterol and delivers 20g of soy protein per serving.

Its healthy essential fatty acids come from innovative Algal oil, which is produced efficiently in bioreactors rather than traditional farms to conserve enormous quantities of natural resources.

I was asked about a price of $21.99 in my survey ($1.76 per 400 kcal).

My survey had the same 5 items listed above…
I don’t drink coffee so that doesn’t concern me… I do take a 200mg caffein tablet in the morning though. 600kcal of 1.5 and a 200mg tablet cost a LOT less than the proposed 3.0 (2.0+coffee) in the survey.

The chocolate 2.0 bottle sounds interesting although I wouldn’t pay much premium over regular 2.0.

The protein water+electrolytes, fat and low glycemic carbs sounds interesting… not sure exactly what it is but I would consider it for work outs if it was reasonably priced. On the survey they asked what other kinds of exercise drinks I currently use and in the write-in option said I use diluted 1.5 on the bike. I doubt the RL product would be cheaper although it would have electrolytes (what plants crave). Maybe if it was eventually sold as a powder like gatorade powder that might make sense…

Buying 2.0 in 4 packs or 1.6 powder in 5000kcal jugs doesn’t interest me at all if it’s more expensive.

Yeah I wish I had written down some of this as well… I seem to recall it was $29.99 or $39.99 in my survey…

Anyone see a price <$1.76/400kcal?

Since they sent out surveys that had different prices, I think they are trying to figure out the best price to sell it at.

If the lowest price on the survey was $21.99 ($1.76 per 400 kcal) then that is probably the minimum viable price the feel they can sell the product for. Depending on how many people said they would buy it at the more expensive price the actual price upon release may be higher. I am not really happy how this is obviously an attempt to get more profit vs just trying to keep the price low and go worldwide to help others with low income.

However, if they do go with a higher price base cost of the product for maximum profits then this also gives them room to provide more discount sales and promotional coupons for the product without actually letting the product drop below there cost to make.

I wish they wold just hurry up and update the site so I can order. I am running out of my 1.5 and I really want to get the 1.6. I will go back to solid food if I must before I will order 1.5 again.

We are giving 1 full week, so check back tomorrow for the change. We wanted to announce 1.6 earlier since it had a major protein change.

Hey @Conor, is there any way we could see the results of that survey when it’s done? Raw data would be fine.

Never gonna happen. They won’t pay for a survey to give the results for free to their competitors.