Soylent Tea Conversation

I would love to get some information about combining tea and Soylent. Here are some questions I have, but if you have other useful information, by all means, please add it:

1. Flavor: Can tea be used to flavor Soylent or is tea too weak of a flavoring? How much tea should be added? How should the tea be added? (For instance, should I open up a typical tea bag and pour the entire bag directly in, or should I put the tea in bag in after I mix the Soylent and let it sit for a length of time? If I put the tea bag in, how long would be necessarily to adequately flavor the Soylent?) I’m no tea expert, so are there other forms of tea outside of tea bags that could be used and might work better? (Side Note: One thing I care a great deal about is not having to have anything in my home that can spoil decently quickly.)

2. Benefits and Process: From what I have heard, Soylent is lacking in photonutrients (which seems purposeful at this point), and tea has photonutrients. Does the process matter for getting the benefits out of tea? (For instance, if I boil water and then put the tea bag in until it is sufficiently flavored, then cool the water, and finally mix in the Soylent, will that be better than just dumping a tea bag and Soylent pouch into the water and then mixing it?)

3. Non-water Soylent: What do you think about the idea of starting with pre-mixed tea instead of water and adding the Soylent directly to the tea and mixing it together? How about doing something like half-tea and half-milk?

I’m open to hearing personal experiences of trying these things out along with science-based information or a mere hypothesis. Thanks for any input.

I find the best way to make tea soylent is to brew the tea separately, let it cool, and then use it in place of water… yeah, that means a lot of tea being brewed for a full bag. I try to brew it strong, but all my experiments involve 1.4, which seemed like in general it took a decent amount of anything to flavor; I only just got 1.5 a week ago and only sampled it (since I have a backlog of 1.4), but I hear it is easier to flavor so it may need less (or less strongly brewed) tea.

I use “canning” jars for this purpose. I fill them half full of near boiling water to brew the tea, cover them, let them steep for…ever (I pretty much let them cool with the bag still in the water), then add Soylent, close, and shake.

I suppose if you actually wanted warm Soylent you could skip some steps, but where I live that won’t become the least bit interesting to me until late November.

Thanks for the info! What other methods have you tried that failed? Specifically, have you tried not brewing the tea and just mixing it in to the Soylent directly?

That is the only method I have tried; I’m not interested in eating tea leaves, even if they are finely chopped. I also would expect (possible wrongly if my faint recollection of chemistry is actually correct) that the rate of dispersal of the tea flavor into the Soylent would be greatly retarded due to the liquid being already quite saturated.

@atheist4thecause @Uueerdo

Here’s something you two might be interested in.

Green Tea
Tea Infuser for Soylent pitcher

EDIT:
From the pitcher manufacturer.

Hmm, looks interesting. I’m just not sure how that stuff will work with Soylent. I guess I’ll just have to play around with it and figure it out. I bought some Pomegranate loose tea leaves, so I’ll just have to give it a shot with different methods and see what works best.

I posted this originally in the “Official Flavouring Soylent 1.5” thread, but I figured I’d re-post it here, as this thread gave me the initial idea.

Soylent 1.5 prepared with Earl Grey tea.

Currently drinking a full-meal sized tea/Soylent blend.
I started by making two cups of a nice, bold, organic, loose leaf tea. I made it quite strong; a full tablespoon to two cups.
Mixed in the Soylent with a hand blender.

Frankly, I expected a lot more in the flavour department. It’s practically indistinguishable from standard Soylent. There’s a mild additional earthiness to it. Maybe a touch of bergamot on the back end. But really, aside from the theoretical caffeine boost, and whatever cancer-preventing phytonutrient/antioxidant benefits people are attributing to tea these days, there’s nothing really going on here.
I didn’t cool it; I’m drinking it at a kind of warm-milk temperature, but I doubt that chilling would have had any serious effects on the flavour profile.

I would do it again, but I’d use substantially less expensive tea, in greater bulk. Like, four tea bags for two cups water, with an extreme steep time. The subtleties just aren’t there enough to justify a good tea.

Thanks for the info! This will surely help me out when I get my batch of Soylent in. (They must be backed up.) I’ll be sure to post whatever I try, success or failure. If you find something that works or try something else that doesn’t, please post an update. Thanks again!

The antioxidants are in green and white tea. The various black teas, like earl gray, have been intentionally oxidized during the manufacturing process and thus have no antioxidant benefits.

Actually, black teas have different antioxidants than green and white teas.

When tea is oxidized, the catechins are converted into other chemicals, called theaflavins and thearubigins, different chemicals which still act as antioxidants. The theaflavins and thearubigins are sometimes called tannins, although tea does not contain tannic acid. These chemicals are responsible for the darker color of black and more heavily-oxidized oolong teas.

The theaflavins of black tea and catechins of green tea have been directly compared in a laboratory setting for their antioxidant activity, and were found to be equally effective as antioxidants.

Whether antioxidants are actually more beneficial than not is a different question and still in dispute.

Something I didn’t know, brought up in the same linked article, is that black tea strongly inhibits the absorption of dietary iron:

Consumption of beverages rich in polyphenolic compounds, including black tea, peppermint tea, cocoa, and chamomile tea, has been shown to reduce the absorption of iron; in one study, 79-94% of the absorption was inhibited by black tea, and chamomile inhibited 47% of iron absorption.

They recommend not taking tea with meals in which you’re getting your iron; this would seem to be a serious concern about making soylents with tea.

With Black tea anyways.

Or peppermint or chamomile. Or cocoa, for that matter.