Soylent team tweets packaging video

Soylent shipping continues! Looking forward to getting every preorder fulfilled.

I approve…

They need to crank that belt into hyperdrive.

That’s what I like to see!

It should take about 15 seconds for an assembly line to put together a box, fill it, tape it, throw a shipping label on it, and get it to a loading dock…with each person/machine handling one part of the process.
Being conservative due to the newness of the process, figure 200 boxes per hour are going out the door. 1500 per day…
If 100,000 cases of Soylent were ordered, we are going to be here for a LONG time waiting.

So they have kids in there packing? I approve!

j/k

Thats a lot of stuff going on. So excited that i have to pee…

Ah no, instagram. Cannot access.

I don’t suppose a mirror exists? Stupid draconian firewall rules…

you’ll have to imagine the factory noises for now :smile:

I would think the processing time for one box is only one part of the equation. The math you’re using assumes one box must complete the process before the next box can begin (for all I know this may be true, but it doesn’t appear that way in the video).

In other words, if the process to pack a box takes 18 seconds and only one box could be on the line at a time, you’d end up with the 200 box/hr figure you mentioned. If, however, you can have 10 boxes somewhere along the processing line at any one time, then the time to complete becomes only half of the equation. Now, you’re pushing out roughly 2k/hour and can start to make a real dent in the backlog.

@VincentA I Ilike that math, it shows, how big the scale even for a “small” food production is. impressive!

dream at one percent of market share, that would be 3 million pouches / 400.000 boxes per day @ 3shift production you’d need a cycle time of 0,216 seconds

Thank you so much, Julio!

Play this for best effect.

I was figuring filling the box was the longest part of the process at 15 seconds.
I know nothing about manufacturing. Just speculating and trying to come up with a reason I’m still eating primitive food.

Well, from the plants I have been to, there are usually something the industry calls “Picking” stations where workers will “pick” items coming down from a belt and fill a box with product or a pallet with smaller boxes. There are usually a number of picking stations depending on the size of the plant. Experienced pickers can go amazingly fast so once it becomes memory motion it will really ramp up. The automation industry is really neat and I am proud to write software for them. If you have never watched “How Its Made”, check it out.

I love that show!

Drives the rest of the family nuts for some reason.

@chris_bair Footage was taken from a team-member’s snap(chat) story, hence its vertical orientation.

+1 How It’s Made being awesome.

Here’s a video of how the Amazon warehouses and picker work. It blew my mind.

an assembly line does not have to be a simple pipe. it can branch and converge; if 1 step takes twice as long as everything else, you set it up to do 2 in parallel, you don’t slow down everything else to half speed.

Is there any way to know if this line is dedicated solely to Soylent fulfillment at this point or if the factory is splitting packaging time with another product(s)? Because that might effect the daily number.