Soylent Use by Women?

Die out eh? In the next decade you say? Heh, if I am ever in the market for a woman again, I’d like to know where you found one of those that you refer to who sees cooking as a valuable skill for her to have.

64 y/o woman. I’ve been enjoying Soylent for almost 2 years. It appeals to women for the same reasons as men- convenience, nutrition. Yes women are usually responsible for preparing meals but that doesn’t mean we enjoy what the family wants. For those times Soylent is a great alternative. There is no reason you can’t sit down with the family with your Soylent while they chow down on their orange chicken.
If I’m doing an all Soylent day I usually have a total of 1400-1600 calories. Any more and I would gain weight. Most days I’m having breakfast and lunch or dinner. So 2 meals a day.
I take all the GMO soy nutrition research/stories with a grain of salt (which we no longer need to add). If you have concerns and have a healthcare provider you trust I would give them the nutrition info on Soylent and have an honest discussion.
Welcome to the group

6 Likes

Vagina’d human here. Soylent is a huge part of my life. I’m putting off a move to the EU because Soylent isn’t available there yet.

I use Soylent because I am:

• possessed of and dependent upon a body that I must nourish
  • not inclined towards the preparation of food as a hobby
  • wealthy in neither time nor money
7 Likes

According to this thread, and perhaps moreso Conor’s responses in this thread, European Soylent may be here soon. I know @pauldwaite will be happy to stop paying exorbitant re-shipper fees for his dose.

(Side note: Soylent availability is now determining to some extent where some people live. I am not sure what to make of that.)

5 Likes

Yeah I’m super stoked! And for the record, I wouldn’t put off my move forever just to keep an easy Soylent supply. But since it’ll happen reasonably soon, I’ll rather wait.

2 Likes

I made an error in my earlier post. I said I had been enjoying Soylent for nearly 2 years. Turns out it’s been almost 3. It wasn’t till I saw one of those “your memories on Facebook” with photo of my Soylent PB cookies did I realize this all started in 2013.
If you want that recipe you can search discourse it’s somewhere in an old post.

2 Likes

I dunno man, it makes me feel fancy.

4 Likes

Just today I added two teaspoons of cocoa powder to my glass of 1.5 powder soylent and it greatly improved the taste.

3 Likes

Could you show us a picture of this glass, perhaps with a banana, for scale?

1 Like

Lady here. I consume schmilk not soylent, but same deal. Didn’t like the taste of 1.4 or 2.0. Didn’t try 1.5 but since most people seemed to think 2.0 is better I doubt I’d like it.

I wonder if there are really fewer women consuming it or if it is just a perception issue? I don’t think RL intended to be sexist in their initial advertising, but it was proposed as a way to eat when you don’t have time because you’re too busy coding/working all day. I’m sure this applies to a lot of women, but I think like someone above mentioned women are generally still the planners in their family and expected to cook or to plan the meals. Skinny is also a term considered complimentary to women, not-so to men. So a guy might think it’s important to make sure he eats and stays out of being underweight. A woman might use overworking in order to stay as thin as she believes society wants her to be. I could see a lot of households where if the guy wants to go rogue and do his own thing for lunches/dinners it’s not seen as a big deal. But if the woman/wife does it could throw off the whole family dynamic.

That’s just some speculation though. Like other ladies in this thread, I turned to it as a meal-substitute for weight loss. Because I have a tendency to overeat/binge, it’s a useful restriction that makes it easier for me to stay on my plan. I suspect that’s a huge, slightly undertapped market for soylent. I have a parent who did Medifast as a kid. This is a lot more affordable. And a lot healthier than alternates like Ensure/Slimfast with all their added sugar. Concerns about GMO might unnecessarily spook people away. In my personal experience, women tend to buy more into the homeopathic woo while men tend to buy into other kinds of more political woo.

But all this is just anecdotal and purely speculative. And possibly offensive. Sorry.

7 Likes