Soylent vs DIYLent?

Ok so I have been following Soylent for some time now and i think it is absolutely one of the most incredible inventions i have ever had the pleasure of find in its early stages. After reading a lot on the blog, Is DIYLent the equivalent of Soylents formula, if so what are your plans to combat this? I ask because you’re a business no matter what the overall goal (World Hunger or just Monetary Goals) and you will need to keep a revenue cash flow. So can some people tell me who have tried both a DIYLent and Soylent the differences and which you think is better?

I haven’t had either yet, but I think the general consensus is that Soylent is easy, convenient, and sufficient, while soylent (lowercase is the convention for DIY) is potentially more effective, scaling off of how much time and effort you’re willing to put into it.

Also, Rob and Co have been pretty clear that the Soylent formula will be libre – they’re not trying to “combat” user-created soylent, and in fact have been pretty vocal in support of it, going as far as to make diy.soylent.me an official site.

I can only speak as a person who order 30 days of Soylent but also enjoying the DIY recipes I’ve made until then. Why then? I see benefits to both. When Soylent arrives in January I will have a 30 day supply ready made, no muss no fuss.
I have also learned more than I thought I would about nutrition making my own DIY soylent; some tasted horrible, some were fruit and veg. based, some were protein shake based, etc. Also, I enjoy experimenting with lo-carb version or the 40/30/30 (zone) ratios. I am not sure I will settle on just one recipe.
I have noticed a desire to change recipes if I just consume one version for very long.
For me personally cost is not the driving factor, as i am fortunate enough to afford a $5-$10 per 2,200 kcal (daily) consumption.
I believe for the vast majority of people, they won’t be DIY, rather they are people looking for the efficiencies of Soylent and not try to save $1-3 per day by developing their own recipes.

I have gone the soylent DIY route… It is taxing in my experience. I am constantly tweaking the recipe and I feel like I am just reinventing the wheel. I don’t intend to produce my own soylent after the official Soylent has been released.

The primary reasons I am interested in Soylent include that it reduces the amount of time I spend dealing with meal prep. DIY soylent usually requires sourcing at least 10 different ingredients (usually a little more). Then I end up sitting at the kitchen table for about an hour or two every Sunday measuring out the ingredients for the next 7 days worth of meals. Granted this is less time invested than I would for traditional meals over the week, but it is still time I do not enjoy spending this way. At first it is fun, then it turns into a task.

These are just my personal experiences. YMMV, other folks may not have things like family, etc, to draw away from their personal time and creating soylent may be an enjoyable zen-like experience for them. Good for them, I used to have the patience for these things myself. My life it so hectic and schedule so squeezed I don’t enjoy pulling that last packet of pre-mixed soylent powder out of the cupboard, because I know I now have to make more.

Can’t wait for Soylent to ship. :stuck_out_tongue:

soylent (the DIY version) is customizable by the consumer/individual to their specific needs, Soylent (the offical version) is currently generalized and meant for everyone (with 2 caloric sizes). Some of the soylent users also share their recipes and provide information and usually tell of any issues they encountered, cause and solution. Soylent claims to want to eventually make individualized, or more precise, varieties for people, and I would argue that feedback from the various DIYers would help in this endeavor.

Some want Soylent to save money, some to save time, and others for both. Its merely a question of how much time and effort you want to put into food.

I plan on purchasing several ingredients off of Amazon to make my own Soylent (using one of the HackerSpace recipes). The cost up-front is around 200.00 USD and that covers about two months for most of the ingredients. That is under what I normally would spend on a month supply of more of my basic foods.

I will do this in January when I’m better off financially (darn you Christmas and snow!). I will do it until I run out and hopefully by then I should be receiving some Soylent to try and compare keeping its cost in mind.

The great thing about the DIY Soylent is that I can have all the ingredients on a subscription service which makes it even cheaper (15% off all items using the service I believe). You just have to be prepared to make the bags, I would make a month’s worth at a time on the last Sunday of the month or something like that. I used to juice every day and would make bags of fruits and veggies for each serving to fill the fridge, so I’m used to doing that kind of food prep on a weekly basis.

Go small with your first DIY order or you will end up with a 50 lb sack of oat flour and a week later find a recipe that better matches your taste pallet. Learned that the hard way.

Of course! I’m buying all the normal sized Bob’s Red Mill (4 pack of 22oz) of most everything I’m getting. The only ingredients I will be getting that will be more than I need in the minimum order size is the salt and the potassium citrate. My cost is based on those smaller portions so obviously getting the bigger ones will save even more money if I go that route.

Either way I’m excited to give this a try, I like juicing a lot but it takes about 30 minutes a day to make juice. On top of that, I’m always throwing away vegetables, either that or I don’t have all the ones I need to get what I need nutritionally.

I used to be a Kitchen Manager and It was awesome because I could buy just exactly what I needed from my inventory at a reduced cost. I don’t have that going anymore so Soylent is coming along just in time.

Rob’s original reason for creating Soylent was to free up, or make better use of, time. I believe there will always be a market for people that eat Soylent for the same reason. The DIY version takes time and attention. This may be fine for people whose main concern is diet rather than time. For me it’s a combination of both. I often get home from work and start doing something and before I know it, it is 9 or 10pm and I haven’t eaten. The other factor for me is nutrition. I’ve always been primarily a ‘meat and potatoes’ type and I know that my diet doesn’t provide the best nutritional balance.

One other point, some people (my self included, sometimes) just like to tinker with things. The DIY gives people the chance to experiment that the official Soylent does not. If Soylent is successful, there may be options to tweak the official version to peoples personal tastes. But, if Soylent is not successful and the company goes away then it will be a good thing that the DIY community exists for users to fall back on.