Soylent vs. Joylent?

Being fairly new, what are the differences between Joylent and Soylent?

Interestingly enough, I was reading a similar reddit thread just earlier. I will paste in the most helpful reply I saw

Ingredient quality is the big difference.
I’ll give two examples focusing on macro-nutrient sources:
-Fat: Where Joylent has simply opted for flaxseed, Soylent 1.4 features Sunflower oil, Flaxseed oil and Safflower Oil Powder, life’sDHA™ Oil Powder (Docosahexaenoic Acid from Algal Oil).
With just flaxseed, aside from the difficulties some have in breaking it down, the low (5-10%) metabolic conversion rate to DHA and EPA means one would receive a tiny dosage of those two Omega 3 fatty acids. Additional supplementation would be required.
-Protein: Joylent opts for whey protein - most probably because it is cheap and abundant. But it’s also fairly allergenic, besides the lactose intolerance problems it presents, it also causes bloating in many people.
Soylent opts for rice protein. The benefit of this is that it’s the closest thing to hypoallergenic protein isolate available today. Downside: finding a source of it which is palatable = more expensive than an equivalent whey.
Marketing aside and purely looking at ingredients, Joylent is a traditional meal replacement powder (think Ensure, Slim-Fast etc.), more focused on cheap sustenance than bioavailability.

(Note: not my response, just putting it in here to be helpful)
Source

Also, I should say, there is the perception that the creators of Joylent are more in it for the profits, and put little of their earnings back into research, while Rosa Labs (Soylent) uses fairly rigorous research standards. Along with the higher quality ingredients mentioned in the previous reply, I have no idea how accurate these perceptions are–They are just the general feeling I get when reading about the two.

(Note: I have never tried Joylent, so I can’t comment on taste/texture, etc.)

Ok, thank you for the information. It seems Soylent is far superior.

I tried Joylent, and I like the vanilla version… the other flavors not so much. I have not tried 1.4 Soylent, but compared to 1.0 Soylent, then Joylent is pretty good in comparison.

I am actually more a fan of Whey, but it also contains Soyflour… I am not personally concerned with allergens, as recent studied have actually suggested that avoiding them completely may actually just increase your chance of becoming allergic or increase your sensitivity to them.

The biggest concern one could have with Joylent besides that would be the oil source, but I don’t think it is a problem short therm.

All that being said… I would switch to official Soylent the second they started shipping to Europe.

Soylent’s vegan recipe is also more focused on sustainability than a recipe with whey is.

I am using Joylent now and love it, not only is it cheaper than Soylent, it also ships to Asia!

When it comes to my health and picking something that is going to form the backbone of my diet, I’m willing to pay a bit more for Soylent’s better quality ingredients, nutrient bio-availability and production standards.

As someone with a background in pharma production, this video showing Joylent’s production facility didn’t exactly fill me with confidence in their product:

Exposed skin touching the raw ingredients, the ingredients lying uncovered, production workers handling bulk ingredients without masks. Yikes!

At least they aren’t mixing it an a concrete mixer any longer.

I regret buying Joylent. All of the flavours are basically gross (to me). Soylent is much smarter to try to make their product taste as neutral as possible, since I can just add stuff like peanut butter and bananas in the blender which ends up tasting a lot better than some artificial flavouring inherent in the powder.

I also tried 100%FOOD which I found unbearably disgusting. Soylent 1.4 (the only version I’ve tried) is by far the most palatable of the three.

I’m with @8O8 on this: Joylent is cheaper, it ships to Europe, I am not concerned about allergies, and I am not worried about food safety (I’ve probably eaten stuff prepared in much less hygienic conditions both in homes and restaurants), especially when there are lots of internet-savvy people using it, meaning that I’d probably hear about any problem quite soon if they happen. And I like the flavors, particularly banana and vanilla. So even if Soylent shipped to Europe, I probably wouldn’t switch unless the price difference was negligible.

Just ordered a variety pack, when I’ve tested it, I can tell you my opinion. :wink:

What about the lack of biodiversity and less-than-optimal ingredients as described above?

While I certainly recognize those as legitimate concerns, they simply aren’t concerns I share. All I want is to eat cheaply, quickly and conveniently :smile: knowing that others have tried it (for months, even), that I have tried it, that friends of mine have tried it, and had no issues so far, is reassurance enough for me. Of course, I don’t have an infomed opinion (nor I’m particularly motivated to aquire one), so I will let those more interested/knowledgeable in the topic to discuss the extent and severity (or lack thereof) of those issues.

Just on my second day of Joylent. Chocolate.
Too much oatflour. This reminds me of Scitec Manna
I’m still hungry. Not that “feeling stuffed” I love with Soylent.
And I got wind in my bowel.

Praise the Lord, I only got five bags of it. :thumbsup:

I am drinking the vegan Joylent right now.

Looking at the ingredients list, it’s very good. I don’t see any unnatural/bad additives, the nutritional values abide the standard. It’s good, because I am (basically) getting all the nutrients needed. I don’t need fancy stuff daily, just none of the bad ingredients.
They have gone overboard with the amount of protein (it’s supposed to be ~ 10% of your daily energy intake and ~ 20% if you’re training regularly).
Just to be safe I’ll still eat some real food, for variety’s sake. Cravings for specific food is most often an indicator that you are lacking (a) nutrient/s.

I’ve only done this for a week and perhaps I can get a little hungry, but I’ve found that when I am fully engaged, I can go without eating. Therefore if I am feeling hunger, I am either procrastinating, my work isn’t advancing or it’s time to eat. It’s mostly a matter of “getting used to it” as you are eating differently, probably intaking fewer calories, the food is absorbed faster (because it’s liquid) etc.

I’m doing a “slow” diet and want to '“bulk up” and it’s still too much protein, but it’s actually good while dieting shortly to prevent protein catabolism and I’ll be better able to lose weight and gain muscle (my mom’s a professional and she’s done it without anything “extra” - if you know what I mean - so it can be done. Just eat a little every 4 hours.)
BTW: I’m female, so ‘toned’ is the end result, I’m just going to increase my muscle mass and lose fat. Any extra protein will just be converted into energy.

TIP for women: I am in a lot of pain and get really sick on the first day of my period. Normally I can’t eat or take pills without throwing up. With Joylent I can finally get some food down, so I can take the pills and have a somewhat functional day.

That video is over two years old! Here is a video of their new production facility as of October 2016. It is quite different.

Joylent is pretty good overall. The texture reminds me of Soylent 1.5 - along with death farts and all. I’m almost finished with the last of the Joylent I ordered when powder went out of stock last.

Further info on the current state of Joylent manufacture is in this blog post which is mostly about their new name but also includes,

we invested over €1.000.000 in our products, production and warehouse. We now have a 250m2 cutting edge clean room with a very high level of hygiene and standard batch testing.