Soylent was not life changing

I had originally ordered back in August of 2013, so I was eagerly awaiting its arrival and was hugely frustrated with all the hiccups along the way. When I finally did receive it I was on Soylent for 2 out of my 3 meals for about 3-weeks straight, and I have to say it was not life changing as many have suggested. I saw no increase/decrease in any areas that people have described, and when I think about it didn’t really save me that much time either, because it took me longer to drink than it would have taken me to prep and eat my breakfast/lunch. The only real benefit I saw was less dishes to clean. I think the people that will benefit the most are those that are overweight and eat fast food for most of their diet, for those of us that are average build with an average diet, Soylent isn’t going to do a whole lot. So, to those people pining for their first shipment of Soylent, I say temper your expectations.

I Waited Five Months for My Soylent and Now I Can’t Get Rid of It

I had a pretty decent diet before Soylent (and honestly, having Soylent as a staple has led to some especially poor food choices when I eat solid meals but that’s on me) so I haven’t seen a lot of the dramatic benefits either.

That said, it has been a huge boon for me to be able to replace the meals I would otherwise skip (breakfast) or choose poorly on (lunch) with something that takes three minutes to prepare once every two days. If nothing else, it has removed the work of preparing meals in advance from the realm of discipline to one of convenience. I’ve also been saving money from food waste.

I think you’re basically right, that for many people this won’t be a very dramatic improvement. But at least for a lot of people, I think Soylent represents smaller incremental improvements that can accumulate to some much bigger positive effects. Not that there aren’t plenty of things to be frustrated about :smile:

You got to “meet” us, and that’s worth ALOT I tell you what…:slight_smile:

Wow, I find it amazing that you can prep and eat your breakfast/lunch in less than a couple minutes, since that’s how long it would take to drink Soylent. Must be an incredibly small and simple breakfast/lunch.

I can only speak from my own experiences, but I rarely ever eat fast food, and am not overweight (though certainly could be fitter). You’re overlooking those people who simply do not enjoy having to deal with food, and find it a chore similar to mopping the floor or taking out the trash. It’s a necessary bit of drudgery that I dread, and Soylent removes it except for those rare moments when I actually AM in the mood to deal with conventional food.

Also, the American “Average diet” (AKA S.A.D.) tends to be pretty incomplete in countless areas, so I certainly wouldn’t say that those with said diet, would be unlikely to benefit from Soylent.

Even with my incredibly limited diet (almost exclusively a very narrow range of carbs, plus a narrow range of dairy), doctors felt it was probably “better than most”… and yet the differences I found with Soylent have absolutely been life changing. The same is true of my other half, and her diet was much less narrow than mine (though she also loathes dealing with food). Soylent is certainly leaps & bounds better than what I was consuming before, even with very little fast food (and even then, ONLY french fries), zero meat of any kind, and pretty close to zero of all the genuinely “bad for you” stuff.

Soylent fits countless people in countless ways. That’s part of what’s so great about it. That being said, everyone’s metabolism is also different, and everyone can potentially have a different response to Soylent - just like not everyone will feel the same way after any particular meal, no matter how great/satisfied/energetic/etc. one person may find it makes them feel.

I didn’t see huge changes in my life. I think most of what I saw was small improvements that together would keep me from ever going back to “normal” food. The big thing I’m hoping for is a longer life. I had a pretty bad diet and Soylent has got to be better. I’m not sure if I will gain 1 week or 20 years, but I’ve got a 3 year old daughter (I’m 47) and would like to see her graduate from college, get married, have kids, etc. Again, just the little things are enough for me to stay with Soylent or DIY.

While I haven’t started on Soylent yet, I hope to in the coming weeks. (Schmoylent in order while wait for my official Soylent) as a long haul truck driver, it is next to impossible to sustain a healthy diet on the road. Just the fact that I can maintain a normal eating schedule of nutrition food means a major improvement for me.

The whole “this isn’t for me so must be a shit product” mentality of this post is kind of hilarious. There are billions of people in this world, and we all have different needs when it comes to food. After lurking for months on the forum this is the idiotic post I choose to reply to first.

I hope you’ll post about your experience on the road. It’ll be interesting to hear how that works out.

I’ll probably throw up a post on it along with a little review/opinion of the schmoylent. From what I’ve read elsewhere it seems to be a great product with few of the downsides of the official Soylent in terms of GI issues. Plus I can have it in a couple weeks as opposed to minths from now.

He isn’t wrong :slight_smile: Soylent isn’t a magic food, and if you are 100% fine with how you spend time on your food already, and that you eat varied and “healthy”, Soylent is no different. But for plenty of us, Soylent is godsent.

Nowhere in the post did I say Soylent is a shit product, I actually like it, but for me it gives me no added value to my live, it’s a niche product and I was simply stating that it’s not for everyone, I was all in for a year then I tried it and realized that, for me, it doesn’t make sense and that others should just temper their overwhelming excitement, because it may not fit into their lives no matter how long they’ve been waiting.

Just started my own, but I think my biggest benefits will come from having the convenience of fast food at a lower cost (quality fast food, like Chipotle) but with some additional time saved. Until they build a Chipotle right next to my house, it’ll be hard to reach this level of nutrition and convenience in one bundle.

I’ll report on the “miracle” benefits later, but I suspect it will help lower my weight level as I tend to stress eat.

I replaced only one meal - breakfast - but it is definitively helping. I used to eat junk food like candies for breakfast. Most common was pie since in least it have fruit in it. Now, soylent is much healthier, and yes, cheaper too. :slight_smile:

I have to admit Soylent or soylent for that matter won’t change my particular life but I have noticed some health improvements. My blood pressure and resting heart rate is down, my weight lifting is improving faster, and my cloudy urein has cleared up.

Well, chalk it up to my horrible diet pre-Soylent, but I’ve definitely had noticable improvements in ability to sleep, resting heart rate after activity, mood/concentration at work, and oddly enough a break in my constant dandruff issues.

The last time I felt like this, my diet was full of complex carbs (brown rice), leafy greens, and involved <3g of sugar a day. No miracles, but it is amazing how big an impact nutrition makes.

This reads so passive-aggressive it makes me cringe. Yes, microwave oatmeal takes less time to prepare than a jug of Soylent.

I’m in the same boat as @foxhound34. Shaking up a jug of Soylent and cleaning out the pitcher actually takes more time for me than doing the same prep/clean for oatmeal, and taking it to work is less convenient than buying something there. When I reach dinner, if I’m still drinking Soylent, I’m probably not enjoying it.

This would all be offset if Soylent made me feel better, but I already felt this good on my previous diet, and I’m not experiencing these feeling-like-superman experiences that so many evangelists are preaching on the forum.

Perhaps I should only speak from my own experiences as well, but I think the people that benefit most from Soylent turn out to be very vocal, excited, edge cases. The rest of us just drink our nutrient slurry and shrug.

Soylent absolutely corrects common symptoms such as “I feel like shit” or “this day sucks” - if you don’t normally experience these with frequency, then you probably won’t notice the difference. But there is a difference, let’s just be clear on that. Hitting the target zone for ALL nutrition points (and doing so consistently every day) with regular food is all but impossible. Think of all the work you’d have to do to plan and execute that diet, compared to mixing up a pitcher of Soylent.

[quote=“AgentSpiff, post:16, topic:17506, full:true”] Hitting the target zone for ALL nutrition points (and doing so consistently every day) with regular food is all but impossible.
[/quote]

I’m beginning to wonder if that’s actually necessary to feel healthy. I’ve never tracked exactly how much of ‘nutrient X’ I was getting.

It seems that we’re stuck in a paradigm where it’s a priori that we must make the same quantity bioavailable on a daily basis for optimum health, when we all seem to operate on cycles longer than 24 hours. To put it another way, why don’t we say we need 25% of our RDI of vitamin C every 6 hours, or 12.5% every 3?

I’m sure there are some things we need every day for optimum health, but surely there must be some we can go longer droughts without the RDI of and still maintain excellent health. It certainly is easier to put everything on a 24 hour clock though, since we’re better at remembering things when we have patterns.

Sorry if my “tone” (as much as there can be tone in writing) rubbed you wrong. It wasn’t my intent, at least not consciously.

Now that I see we’re talking about oatmeal… ok I can almost see that it’s just as fast. I still don’t think it’s really a fair comparison though if Soylent is 5 minutes to make a day’s food, vs. a couple minutes minimum to do oatmeal. Then again I don’t know how you prepare it. For me, I never microwave it, so it’s a couple minutes to boil the water, then at least 5 minutes to let it sit & cook. And that’s just one meal.

But yeah oatmeal could seem more satisfying, especially while still adjusting to Soylent, since it’s more solid and more what your body is accustomed to.

Moreover it sounds to me like whatever your previous diet was, was giving your body most of what (maybe everything) it needed anyway, in which case as @AgentSpiff pointed out… you probably won’t notice as much benefit from Soylent as some of us. It’s such an individual thing.

For us, we never expected most of what we get from Soylent. We just wanted something that eliminated the need to answer the question “What am I going to eat now?” and would vastly reduce the need for shopping, dishwashing, and overall dealing with food since it’s a chore we dislike quite intensely. What we got appears to be a filling of many gaps in our nutrition profile, that we weren’t even aware we had. At least that’s my working explanation for why we feel so much better with Soylent.

Oh man, if you want oatmeal try mixing some with peanut butter and sriracha. SO good.

Anyway, this thread seems to have gotten a little adversarial in places. I think the OP and this thread present valuable points. Soylent’s not a magic food and some people probably SHOULD temper their expectations. To address @frank_crook 's post, our bodies ARE very resilient and getting 100% of our nutrition every single day isn’t necessary to maintain extremely good health. If it was, we’d have died off as a species when we first discovered agriculture and lived on crops of single foods for entire seasons. But it helps, and a lot of folks need all the help they can get due to willpower, discipline, or circumstance.

I just wanted to provide a counter point that it’s still very excellent and expectations have every right to remain at least a little high.

I agree with that 100%. My diet pre-soylent wasn’t bad at all but was obviously missing something. The changes may not be obvious but if you look close enough I’m sure they are there.