Soylent with Distilled Water Community Experiment

I’ve been thinking about how people here have radically different opinions on the flavor of Soylent from too salty to too sweet and just looking around the forums for posts related I ran across this:

LeecaubleMay '13
My first batch I used tap water. I didn’t like the salty taste I got. So I got distilled water and like the result much better. Tucson has a fairly high total dissolved solids content. It’s ground water…

I’ve begun to think that the quality of water used in Soylent is a significant contributing factor to it’s flavor. Not the entire reason people have differing experiences of course, but I’ve noticed that just in small tests and comparing the Soylent I make at home using my dual-filtered (under the sink) hard tap water then distilled water and then tasting the Soylent made at my girlfriend’s house…they’re all slightly but perceptibly different.

For the record I’m a slightly below average taster (tested via blue food coloring method four places on my tongue and averaging them, none in the centerline).

So I propose a community test. Head over to your grocery store and buy a gallon (usually less than a dollar) of Distilled Water and make a batch of Soylent plain, then let it sit for a few hours, sample it and report back. In this way we’re all more likely to have an equal “control” mix, so to speak, to compare to one another.

I’ve noticed that the Soylent (and ALL this is v1.4, btw) made at my place where I have hard water, but double-filtered is sweeter than the softer water at my girlfriend’s house which makes (at least to me) the Soylent there a bit on the salty or at least more neutral side.

I searched around on the forums for some kind of distilled water experiment but didn’t find anything really like a community group experiment.

Anyway, I was just curious to see if people who like v1.4 now still like it when using distilled water and if those that do not like it continue to dislike it.

Flavor variance Soylent 1.6

I’ll try it, but it isn’t really very scientific. I think the people know what their prior results were and are very interested in validating them. So they will tend to say the results are the same even if they aren’t. Otherwise they will suffer cognitive dissonance. Of course, I might be wrong.

In a perfect world, we would all use destilled/demineralized water for our Soylent… The minerals in water can be so different from house to house… Even when looking at bottled spring water, the amounts of the minerals can be noticeably high. And even cover up to 10-25% of the daily value on some minerals such as calcium, chloride, flouride and such per liter. http://www.aarhusvand.dk/Dit-forbrug-og-din-regning/Dit-drikkevand/Vandkvalitet/Naringsindhold-i-drikkevand/

I’m still using filtered water. Specifically reverse osmosis. It removes ~99% of organic and in organics when traveling I grab a bottle of water and try to choose one without added minerals which is done to improve the taste. A word of caution if you are using a “water station” at the store to refill containers be careful. They are not always properly maintained.
Softness use NaCl or KCl so without further filtering can taste very salty.

Interesting theory, I like it. I’ll give it a shot next time I’m around a grocery store. Which has been less and less necessary with Soylent. Time and money saver. Woo?

I have one of those fancy refrigerators that dispense water and has a big filter you have to replace every so often. I usually make my Soylent with that water cause the time I made it with tap made it taste saltier. The tap water flows faster than the snail’s pace of the fridge but the wait time, I discovered, was worth it for taste.

Soylent w/ filtered water > Soylent w/ tap water

Like I said I’ll give the distilled a shot. Maybe this weekend.

Something like that crossed my mind but I think it’s worth trying just to see the results. Perhaps people will be at least at little more objective. :slight_smile:

I think it’ll be interesting even at the simplest level to see if anyone who tries it even notices a difference or not.

Regarding the taste, even when using the same tap water, but just adding more water than suggested, can impact the taste substantially (potentially in a good way). Given that we’re supposed to be drinking more water than just the suggested amount in the Soylent instructions, maybe the suggested amount of water to add is what’s “wrong” with 1.4! I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it deserves reiterating; this is a new food invention, so the suggested amount of water to add to it, and even the size of the supplied pitcher, is a bit arbitrary. People should try adding more water, say even half a bag of Soylent powder per pitcher instead of a full bag, and see how that impacts the taste. It should definitely water down the “saltiness”, for them, regardless of their tap water formulation.

One thing people could try, if they have a willing family member, is have a family member mix it up both ways (or more), label them, and not let the test subject know which is which.

If the test subject can’t distinguish between them, then the water didn’t make a significant difference.

My guess is that it will through.

Blind taste test…like the Cola Wars…

that’s actually a great idea. I’d love to read the results of some tests like that.

I should have mentioned something like that. I tend to fill my pitcher up to the top, just below the screw top.

If different people are fairly similar with the amount of water they use for the test while not strictly conclusive should still be informative.

Filtered water usually. I use filtered water at work most times. It does taste a bit better than just tap water.

I went and tried it a couple days so far. It’s weird, I don’t notice a big change in taste but the actual consistency is thinner, less thick. I measured out the same amount of water and everything. Any idea why this could be?

I agree with the “wrong” soylent to water ratio in the manual. I drink with a 1.5 scoop: 6 scoop water ratio and I think it tastes much better that way.

With less water it feels like I’m drinking gruel lol