"Soylent's Sales Pitch: Leave Luxury (AKA Food) for Special Occasions"

Motherboard article: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/soylents-sales-pitch-leave-luxury-aka-food-for-special-occasions

Ok. What is with Motherboard’s vendetta against Soylent?

I suspect it’s not a vendetta. Don’t forget, most journalism is an entertainment product loosely based on real events.

Wow, the comments on that article seem awfully defensive. I’m kind of curious if that’s just the sort of commenters the site attracts, or if it’s a special reaction to Soylent? I don’t think I’m quite curious enough to look at any of their other articles, though.

What a garbage article. At least the comments are enlightened and well-reasoned:

Its main ingredients are canola oil, sunflower oil and rice. It has no Vitamin D3, not to mention a ton of other vitamins. It’s garbage, you could get fresh produce for the same price and live way better.

The ton of other vitamins he is referring to include vitamin N (vital in nitrogen absorption), vitamin V (essential to vampires), and vitamin Z (to inoculate against zombification).

I did like the brand book though:

We have the technology to radically improve our food system. Let us take what is useful from the past and move on. The food of the future will be healthier, cheaper, and more beautiful than anything our ancestors pulled from the dirt. Pushing the labor of food production on to the machines will liberate not just land and water,but masses of men and women from the quiet desperation of their lot. In the future food will be free. And so will we.

I read this in Martin Luther King, Jr.'s voice. Nerd chills.

Also interesting:

The graphic look of the Soylent version numbers borrows directly from the Soylent logo. The typeface used is Soylent Light.

Vice/Motherboard is a media organ which poses as risque and on the edge, but really it’s just Buzzfeed with more swears, sophomoric drug tales and photos of cute hipster girls. The status quo for the cool kids.

Soylent is a pretty radical departure from current popular food trends (foodie/organic/paleo etc.), so only early-adopter personalities are going to be open to it initially, and understanding its nutritional value requires a basic understanding of nutrition science, disappointingly few people have that.

So it’s only going to get a fair hearing from a small percentage of folks.
The rest will only come round if it becomes a trend.

You really need to source your criticisms. Please provide links of these photos.

Sorry to be bumping such an old topic, but can someone point me towards the brand book? The link in the article doesn’t seem to be working, and curiosity is killing me.

http://okfocus.s3.amazonaws.com/pdf/Soylent_Brand_Book-1.pdf

The best part: