Soylid! Solid Soylent?

Could this be possible? It would be nice to have soylent in bar form, like an energy bar, so I don’t have to deal with blending and drinking it, and it might just be a nice alternative.

I was thinking, using this recipe: http://discourse.soylent.me/t/a-beginner-s-diy-recipe/2468?u=byronaltice

A few eggs could be added, water to a doughy consistency, possibly some cornstarch, then mixed and baked. Does anyone with more baking knowledge know of a better way?

Also, the really important part, would heating these ingredients hurt them in any way? Would it be dangerous?

Is the beneficial part of soylent the fact that it isn’t heated… making the nutrients more available? Does this question have any merit?

I know a lot of you do soylent because you don’t like to cook, but for me and I am sure others it is more for health, diet simplicity, and reducing our eating costs.

:slight_smile:

This is really good but it definitely needs more research.

I like the flatbread idea, thanks for providing those threads.

I’m thinking that it might be hard to figure out how to decide how much potassium gluconate and other soylent nutrients to add… if we’re starting with 200g of oat alone, then there will be a lot more soylent stuff. I wish they had included all the amounts.

I personally might try the “flourless cake” route at some point, and just add eggs and bake until solid-ish and post my results here (with ALL the amounts I used).

I wonder if it could be incorporated in to a gelatin. You’d have to compensate heavily in the carb/sugar category but it might help in the consumability factor without introducing heat.

Maybe replace maltodextrin with gelatin?

Possibly, but raw gelatin is 90% protein and very few calories so I’d have to massage the formula slightly. If we were using the “Jell-o” mix, we could substitute that for the carbs (my recipe uses palatinose). With the regular gelatin the final result would likely be more akin to a pudding, especially with the amount of carbs and fiber involved, but you can make just about anything that is mostly liquid in to a pudding. Puddings or jell-os generally require some degree of heat in order for the gelatin (or corn starch or whatever thickener you use) to be dissolved and set up properly when chilled, but it wouldn’t be much. One could probably substitute some of the fat for heavy cream or coconut milk, heat and dissolve the gelatin in that, and then mix in everything else as it cools to minimize the effects of the heat. Or for a no-cook version, instant clear jel (http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Clear-Jel-1-lb/dp/B00015UC52) would do the trick. Add some to the soylent and then mix with the milk/cream and let set. Some form of dairy is normally important for a pudding but might not be a necessity.

I use a chocolate-flavored whey powder, this could potentially turn out a nice little pudding that is easy to make and fun to ingest for those of us that have a bit of trouble with the consistency of the drink. Would also take different flavorants pretty well. Perhaps I’ll experiment this weekend. Might defeat the purpose of getting away from “food” but it could be fun, haha.

I’d like to make something like soylent bars to take with me when I go on a camping trip. No cooking necessary (well during the camp that is), and no need to make a drink out of the ingredients. (although getting something warm to eat or drink is the best way to get warm after a cold day out there, , but a quick soup or tea an the side will solve that easily)

Soylent Biscotti

So I finally got around to trying to make something that will last a while and be tasty.

The recipe is really easy. I use all the ingredients from the DIY beginner recipe:

except the salt and the liquid vitamins, which I take separate due to taste.

I added a teaspoon of vanilla, a half cup of splenda, and a dash of salt, and 3 eggs, and cooked for 30 minutes at 300 degrees in a 9 inch cake pan (the dough was about the consistency of cookie dough, and even though it didn’t fill the pan, it expanded upon baking).

I sliced the loaf into thin biscotti strips, and it’s actually pretty good. My cat even loves it. It’s dry enough to last for days or a couple weeks (maybe if I cooked it longer at a lower temp I could make it even drier and last longer).

This seems ideal for trips and if you need to make a lot of soylent in advance or don’t want to deal with a shake. I think it tastes better than the shake anyway.

Btw, don’t forget to grease your pan lightly, I used the same olive oil. Also dust it with some flower, and the loaf will come out much easier.

I’m suprised the salt makes it worse, truth be told i’ve never had a biscotti before, but most bread has a significant amount of salt in it.

I added a dash, which makes it tastier, but the recipe calls for 1 teaspoon, which is a lot.

I wonder if you spread it thin on a baking tray and cooked it on very low heat for longer if it would turn out good. This way maybe you protect the proteins and whatever else may be heat sensitive.

I can’t find them because I’m failing at google-fu, but there are a sort of oatmeal cookies that are designed for packing… you can either eat it as a cookie, or crumble it into a bowl and add hot water to get a bowl of oatmeal, if you have the resources to do so. I wonder if this Soylid would work like that…

In my quest to find a suitable way to consume my quinoa soylent, which is not very pleasent as a liquid, I tried to make it as crisp bread, which turned out really good! I also find this to be a good way to get the needed salt, as it is more easily tolerable on crisp bread IMO. Initially I made it at a relatively low temperature (125-150 C), but I will attempt to bake it at an increased temperature.

I wanted to make sure that the amino acids weren’t harmed in the process, and I stumbled upon a study which measured the effects of heat on the amino acids in soy meal. After reading this, I am not worried about the amino acids in my crisp bread.

In the near future I will provide a detailed recipe, which of course is specific to my quinoa recipe, but I would imagine that it could easily be adapted to other recipes.

I have yet to establish a ‘safe’ temperature for the amino acids and oils used.

Absolutely does. It’s extremely crumbly and would break apart easily, absorb water and turn into an oatmeal. It’s what happened when I placed my plate of crumbs in the sink.

Neat. Might be a nice change to have a Soylid cookie and a glass of milk once in a while. Gives you a few options.

I attempted to bake my first batch and it didn’t work out so well, a hard crust on top with goop beneath (only 150deg C), 2:2:1 p:f:c ratio is likely responsible for that, or maybe my use of olive oil. Replacing with coconut might work, but then I stumbled across this: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/diy-protein-bars-healthy-bars-in-5-easy-steps.html

If they can use it to make bars (with fairly similar macros to my own) why can’t I? I’ll try it out tomorrow and get back with the results.

I had a different idea for a “solid” soylent. Basicaly mashed potatoes with Olive oil and Milk Protein. I turned out kind of disgusting but it’s edible with a strong sauce. With 1400g potatoes you cover all the carbs, get 20g protein, enough fiber and all the potassium you need (4.6g). It turnes out it is very cheap (3 euro/day) but I like the convenience of my liquid soylent. If I figure out some way to flavour it, it might replace some of my soylent meals.

You also seem to miss everything else?

1400g of potatoes…so basically you’re on a potato diet, not on Soylent.