Spirit of Soylent, the Alternative

Spirit of Soylent: bulk ingredients, minimum preparation time, minimum buying time, minimum eating time, very low cost(I’m gonna pretend that current Soylent is not horribly expensive for most people), full spectrum of nutrients necessary for optimal functioning.

With that being stated it’s obvious one cannot make one’s own personal Soylent because of 2 factors:
1.such products are locally present only in specialized shops for body building or as special diets for medical conditions and as such they are very expensive
2.Amazon/whatever shipping and tax costs eat up all the potential savings

So, if we eliminate that option I found out that only one other option remains befitting the spirit of Soylent, it kinda sounds silly but it looks like it works. It turns out some people have been doing this for a while.

1.buy an automatic bread baker, this one has the highest reviews

2.buy high quality whole wheat flour, dry yeast, sunflower seeds or other kinds of seeds

3.put it in the machine

4.when the bread is finished butter it up. I actually couldn’t find a butter in my store that wasn’t additionally enriched with all sorts of minerals and vitamins so it’s pretty basic stuff. Some say if you make the bread right you don’t even need the butter.

That’s it, $50 per month food will all the necessary nutrients. The only difference being that you have to chew it instead of drink it, and set it up previously on a timer.

I think this will be my last topic regarding and thinking about Soylent at all, I was gonna order it for 2 months worth but I realized that I would really feel stupid spending such an exorbitant amount of money on food, even if it came down to $180.
I guess if by some miracle it comes down to $80 in the future, I’ll reconsider it.

you do know a lot of people including me have made soylent for under 70$ (2.5$ a day) to 150 (5$ a day)& with complete nutrients (1800kcal to 3000Kcal), ordered online and including shipment. and that is with local taxes included.

and that is in Europe , non the les scandinavia with some of the highest taxes in the world.

I get cautious when a recipe that’s supposed to be total nutrition includes a line similar to, “… add some other stuff, for vitamins and junk.”

That recipe does not contain all the necessary nutrients. You will make yourself sick if you eat only that.

Seeds(Sunflower, Sesame, Linseeds Pumpkin, Soy or Poppy) mixed in with the whole wheat bread(0.5kg per day) should contain all the nutrients. They are evenly dispensed by the machine and like I said you could add honey or butter on top of that, every single element is present here in sufficient quantities.
And you can buy all the ingredients in large quantities for even less cost.

can you link this wonder ingredient with all of the nutrition needed with out going overboard in the reed zone?

and have you shout of the nutritions you will “lose” when you heat it up?

I’d be very interested to see a diy.soylent.me recipes that shows the nutrient breakdown if you are so inclined. Have you made such a bread and how did it come out? How is the carb, protein, fat ratios holding?

I am certainly no expert breadmaker but all of the breads I have previously made had 1/2 to 1 cup of sugar. I am guessing the fat comes from the added vegetable oil??

I don’t see any reason why that would be true, other then “nuts are good for you!”

Why not make the recipe on the diy site? I’ll tackle it later tonight, but this is a good angle. My cheap complete recipe made some pretty decent bread, but it was a little dense and crumbly. I’m going to visit a bakery and see if I can talk to a professional about how they would approach the baking process to make some good, fluffy bread (and I’ll bet they recommend a machine, like @permanentspace .)

Bread mixes contain sugar for the yeast. The yeast presumably adds a small amount of protein and other nutrients. In conjunction with a good mulltivitamin, something like this could definitely work, but it will take some tinkering to get the mix down.

@jrowe47, adding baking powder into your mix will significantly increase loft. You don’t even need yeast! Of course, this is just my experience making soylent batter (not dough) and baking it. It’s basically how I’ve been eating soylent from the beginning.

For those of you worried about nutrient loss, the heat sensitive vitamins come mostly from the multi, which ISN’T mixed in. Minerals generally remain bioavailable even after heating.

where is the recipe? what are the numbers? can you be more specific about the ingredients?

Just put the food name here, everything else I mentioned, and you will clearly see that it covers more than 100% of all the nutrients, also for drinking I use multivitamin juice syrup.
Altogether it’s $50 per month tops, it really is a great alternative and you can buy these ingredients everywhere. I don’t even go to the store since my biggest nearby chain has internet order and delivery.

@jrowe47 I already listed all the ingredients. I’m not putting specific products because each country has its own local brands. That’s why DIY recipes are so utterly useless.

P.S.
This might be a slightly better model. Whatever you do, don’t buy a cheap bread baker.

Specific products provide a reference point - a foundation upon which you can build other recipes. That’s what makes diy recipes so utterly useful. Otherwise, nobody can build on your ideas and refine them. There is an active diy community who picks apart recipes, refines them, and can produce much more effective versions.

This is a great idea, however. All it needs is refinement - specific ingredients, ratios, and preparation methodology.

Without specifics, there is no replicability. Without replication, there is no science.

You could add some sourdough starter and let the dough sit overnight. That would metabolize both the yeast and most of the gluten.