Stomach fooling me into thinking I need solid food when I don't?

I’m beginning to integrate Soylent (name brand Soylent) into my diet. I drank three glasses of the stuff yesterday, in addition to eating normal food. It’s now 2:15 p.m., and I’ve consumed nothing today except coffee, Soylent, and water. (Never giving up my morning mug of coffee.) My stomach has been growling a bit, but when I ignore my stomach and ask myself if I am exhibiting any of the other signs of hunger–sluggish mind, lack of energy, etc.–the answer is always “no.” It seems that my stomach simply expects solid food, so it complains when it doesn’t get it, even if the Soylent is doing its job as fuel just fine. Does this resonate with anyone?

I’ve definitely heard people reporting similar symptoms. Basically your stomach thinks your throats been cut. It will eventually get over it and adjust. As you noted your not hungry. Your stomach is just empty and your not used to it.

Update: I’m currently in the middle of a hard workout consisting of push-ups, dips, and bicep curls. My stomach is going crazy at the emptiness, but I have plenty of energy. I should mention that I ate one banana today, so this is not a test of Soylent on its own. Once the workout was underway, it was nice not to have a lot of bulk in my stomach. I think it makes for a more focused workout, actually.

Yep I noticed the same at first, and others have as well. Makes sense as your stomach is used to being stretched out a lot more. Over time you may find as many of us have, that when you eat a conventional meal, it actually takes less for you to feel full than it used to.

I felt uncomfortably full from one and a half muffins one morning.

I find that just getting some water in me if I’m feeling a little hungry between glasses of Soylent is usually enough to keep that sensation at bay. It is a weird feeling though.

Yes, it’s common and takes some adapting.

Also, even if you think you’ve been getting 2000 calories before, you probably were getting more. Repeated studies have shown that almost all of us consume considerably more calories than we think.

So if you merely THOUGHT you were getting 2000 calories before, and you really ARE getting 2000 calories now, you’ll feel hungry, as if you’re eating less… because you are eating less.