Strange smell and taste from v1.5 lot 5246

Hey guys we are working on this right now. Contact customer support if you feel you are effected by this.

I have the same issues with my shipment of 1.5. I would describe the smell/taste as being like a new tire. It’s awful and I too live in Canada.

Customer service was great and they rushed me a replacement order. However, like Panier, they sent me a replacement from the same lot. I ended up getting a refund without any fuss and I am very happy with the customer service – except that I don’t know what’s going on with Soylent.

Is this what soylent tastes like now, or is there actually something wrong with this particular batch?

I just encountered this. My wife thought it smelled mouldy. Me, I thought it was rancid. It is not edible. I tried a sip and I wanted to throw up. My previous 3 months were fine and had no rancid smell.

I love Soylent, I hope they fix this soon

Since reading that it may be differences in suppliers, I am going to sacrifice myself and try to drink a batch to see if it is indeed edible. It is chilling. Wish me luck.

My thinking is that if there are so many with the same lot #, and no one has gotten ill off it, maybe it is just a strong smell difference.

I sure don’t look forward in trying to get it replaced only to find out it has the same funky odour.

BTW, don’t they have a sniff tester on their production line?

Apparently, their Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) process control system and/or Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) are/is inadequate.

1 Like

The taste is a bit better after it is chilled (pretty much anything would), but still definitely nothing like the Soylent I remember. Don’t even think of comparing it to pancake batter anymore.

I’m definitely not consuming more of it until we get a proper explanation. Even if it was mold, if you’re young and otherwise healthy, it would have a low chance of making you noticeably sick, so I wouldn’t base my impression off that.

I mean, we’re talking about a food product meant to replace people’s diet. We should expect more from it.

Ver 1.5 Lot? L5246 EXP: 09/16 Rancid?

I have been on Soylent for 3 months. I assume L5246 is the lot number. If you are new to Soylent and it smells off, it might be, My batch this month had an odd smell and is unusable. I tried a sip an my guts started churning.

I am contacting staff for a replacement.

More reports on it there. I am concerned of the lack of information from Soylent on it. Is this just the usual difference in flavor from one batch to another (and what we should expect) or is there a real issue with this lot (and should it be recalled?)

I just encountered this. My wife thought it smelled mouldy. Me, I thought it was rancid. It is not edible. I tried a sip and I wanted to throw up. My previous 3 months were fine and had no rancid smell.

I love Soylent, I hope they fix this soon

Since reading that it may be differences in suppliers, I am going to sacrifice myself and try to drink a batch to see if it is indeed edible. It is chilling. Wish me luck.

My thinking is that if there are so many with the same lot #, and no one has gotten ill off it, maybe it is just a strong smell difference.

I sure don’t look forward in trying to get it replaced only to find out it has the same funky odour.

We are looking into the issue currently. Make sure you email customer service so we can replace your order.

1 Like

Nope. I can’t keep taking it as is.

‘Assuming’ it is not bad, and just a taste issue, that is bad marketing for a food product. Food should not smell or taste different everytime you purcace it. How would you know it was bad? Also, people do not want that.

I am having the same issue with my last two shipments both from the same 5246 batch. (I was hoping the newest shipment would be from a newer batch but no such luck.) It would be nice if we could at least know what specifically has caused this unpleasant smell/taste to put our minds at ease that there isn’t an issue of safety!

1 Like

JUST opened my very first order of Soylent with a sense of dread; sure enough, batch 5246. I don’t even want to open it. :frowning: Pretty disappointed that I got the bad batch despite it having been discovered well before my order date of November 4th.

@Conor, what’s my best route of action here? PM you, or send an email?

@Conor I had already contacted support and had my order replaced with more of the same tainted batch. I replied again to the last email from that support ticket, but should I start a new support ticket in case that one is closed? Or will they get it even if it is closed?

@miluti I would email them and get a refund for now, until this is sorted out and you can be sure that they won’t send you another batch of the same crap. I will say that the normal soylent 1.5 is awesome, not that the flavor is something to write home about, but it’s pleasant and all the other benefits are worth it once the bad gas effect reduces over time.

This has turned into quite the little disaster since they decided to ignore the first few reports and keep sending the stuff out to customers, even customers who had already complained.

1 Like

Send customer support an email: info@soylent.com

1 Like

Thanks @Conor; just sent along my email.

Thanks we are working to narrow down the issue and will keep you updated. In the mean time we will happily replace your orders.

1 Like

Thanks, @Conor, but a replacement doesn’t sound like much of a solution when the issue isn’t even narrowed down, never mind fixed. Especially to those of us who have already had a replacement with the same issue. I’m not wanting to be negative here, I appreciate your efforts, this is just a frustrating situation.

1 Like

Not to play devil’s advocate, but what do you expect them to do? They are attempting to find the cause of the problem in the mixture. (on their end) They are trying to replace the bad shipments with good ones. What else can they do?

2 Likes