Struggling with Stomach Discomfort

Hey guys,

I’ve been a longtime Soylent fan, but I keep having intermittent stomach issues on the various recipes.

First I tried the first few versions of the powder, but experiences brutal gas and bloating. Tried for a few days before giving up.

When 2.0 came out, I loaded up on the glossy bottles. I absolutely loved them. I experienced a bit of gas, but I found supplementing Beano solved my problem. I got to the point where I was 50% Soylent most days and my car was stacked with empty Soylent bottles.

Then the foil seal bottles came out… I noticed an immediate difference in taste. Much grittier. Chalky. Not as smooth. It seemed OK, but I started noticing that roughly 1-2 hours after I drank the foil bottles, my stomach would get all anxious and uncomfortable (with or without adding Beano). So much so that I find it difficult to work and it ruins my afternoon because I can’t focus.

It’s bad enough that I have effectively stopped drinking Soylent and am now waiting for the next formula.

My understanding is that the foil bottles ingredients haven’t changed, so I can’t figure out what could be causing this issue. Any ideas? I miss my Soylent!

The mold that was getting into the bottles before the foil seals were added must have been helping your stomach…rofl

With the backorder there really is no option other then the 2.0 right now. The 1.6 is a completely different formula compared to the previous versions, you should give that a try if you have not tried it yet.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it is the Soylent and you should probably look into the other companies.

A couple ideas-

It is possible that you just got a weird batch of Soylent. Sometimes things happen to food. Maybe there was an error in manufacturing or packaging.

How long have you been having stomach issues? Is it possible that you are ill?

I used to have this issue with 1.3, but it was much less with 2.0. My husband had worse issues with it than I did. We discovered a weird solution. Weird because it doesn’t make any sense, but it does work (for both of us). We add a couple tablespoons of chocolate malt Ovaltine to each bottle. It adds about 40 calories. Not only does it taste way better, but for some reason, it’s alleviated the stomach and gastrointestinal discomfort for both of us. I also take an anti-gas capsule with each bottle, and a probiotic each day. We’re currently replacing 2 meals each day with Soylent.

I’m not sure what’s in the Ovaltine that is having the stomach-soothing effect, but it seems a win/win solution.

I have some digestion problems, and Soylent almost never aggravates them. I do notice better results from drinking it slowly, and taking 1-2 hours to finish a serving. Have you tried that?

Perhaps you are having a negative reaction to one of the ingredients. Have you tried other companies’ products that use different formulas?