Study links health benefits to amino acid makeup of protein - Perhaps Rosa Labs should look more into this to tweak Soylent's protein makeup?

"According to a study by the University of East Anglia in the UK, the high levels of certain amino acids in some foods can boost cardiovascular health in ways comparable to making major changes to your lifestyle, such as getting more exercise or even quitting smoking…

… The researchers found that higher intake of amino acids from animal sources (glutamic acid, leucine, and tyrosine) was most strongly associated with lower levels of arterial stiffness; conversely, while all seven amino acids result in lower blood pressure, those from vegetables reduce blood pressure the most."

It may be worthwhile to start tweaking the amino acid makeup of official Soylent to benefit cardiovascular health. Thoughts?

I think that’s basically what they are trying to do by using soy protein isolate. From the FAQ on soy protein:

This change has resulted in a smoother mouthfeel and a more robust amino acid profile.

In the same place, they say they’re hoping to use a custom algae protein in the future that would give us the best amino acid profile possible. Really exciting stuff

Also note the dramatic jump in protein (for a 2000kcal day) between Soylent 1.5 (80g) to Soylent 2.0 (100g)…
A big boost for those taking 2000+kcal/day and still a decent amount for someone on 1600kcal/day.

edit: PS I’ve been adding one scoop of whey isolate to my daily 1.5 prep which nets +18g of protein and adds just a few seconds to the prep.

Does the ratio of amino acids to one another matter, or is it the absolute quantity of each amino acid? Maybe a question for future research.

Like greg I add whey isolate, though I do 40g just to be sure.

Yes. The Institute of Medicine’s recommended protein digestibility corrected amino acid scoring pattern is as follows (mg/g of protein): isoleucine, 25; leucine, 55; lysine, 51; methionine + cysteine (SAA), 25; phenylalanine + tyrosine, 47; threonine, 27; tryptophan, 7; valine, 32; and histidine, 18.

This seems to be a very scientific discussion, which I appreciate. I know anecdotal reports are problematic, but for whatever its worth, I experienced great athletic benefits from supplementing with amino acids.

I have a history of experience & measurable, lab documented results with excellent nutrition & athletics (though I fall off the wagon at times; hence my interest in DIY Soylent). Although I was supposedly getting an excellent amino acid profile from a healthy balanced diet, when I supplemented extra doses of amino acids, it was a dramatic difference. I’m not sure about cardio impact, but I was never sore and felt always ready to hit the gym.

I did not focus on only essential amino acids nor only the branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) of many bodybuilder protein blends – leucine, isoleucine, valine. Rather, I had researched different amino acids on Pubmed and selected ones of particular interest based on the most intriguing studies (to me).

I gradually added the following, one at a time, spaced about a week apart:
– Beta-Alanine
– Arginine
– Glutamine
– Leucine
– Taurine
– Carnitine (biosynthesized from amino acids)

Some were for the excellent muscle recovery effects I mentioned. Some were for antioxidant (cardio) or other benefits, that I can’t confirm if they were helpful or not. Some are vasodilators, which btw feels great! :smile:

As powdered form in smoothies, they tasted horrible and some made me nauseous since this is not a slow release form. I did much better with slow release capsules.

I’m planning to add tyrosine & phenylalanine for other benefits.

The totality of protein in my diet consists of essential free-form amino acids.

Advantages:
100% digestibility
complete assimilation within twenty minutes after ingestion

Disadvantage:
It is difficult to mask the bitter flavors of histidine, isoleucine, leucine, methionine, phenylalanine, tryptophan, tyrosine, and valine.