Sucrose (and evidently Isomaltulose) intolerant, looking to buy as much of 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 as I can

Hey folks, very early adopter here.

tl;dr: looking to buy as much Soylent pre-1.4 as possible, any kind.

I was a fan of Soylent back when Rob’s first blog post about it hit the internet, emailed him supportively pretty much immediately and have been following ever since. This totally is the future of food.

Unfortunately, I never really expected to be able to participate, since my diet is pretty crazy. Not only am I anaphylactic to some foods, I’m allergic enough to soy and dairy to have many foods (and food replacements) be off the table for me.

Of course, the soy and dairy avoidance is nothing compared to my sucrose intolerance. According to my GI doctor, I am deficient in sucrase, likely due to intestinal damage from a number of other issues. This is essentially equivalent to lactose intolerance, except I’m missing the enzyme that processes table sugar.

So yeah, I didn’t think Soylent would work out for me. Much to my surprise when 1.0 launched it did! It worked wonderfully! Despite the gas, Soylent has opened up all sorts of possibilities for my diet, including much easier travel and a number of other things.

So when 1.4 launched, I read about isomaltulose, ignored the Wikipedia comment that people who have trouble with sucrose will probably have trouble with isomaltulose, ordered some, and set aside a weekend to try it whole hog.

Holy crap I felt so sick.

So, whatever about the taste of 1.4. The cold dead invisible hand of Adam Smith will fix how 1.4 tastes like paint when pre-1.4 tasted like cake batter. I’m not at all worried about the taste.

What I’m worried about is sucrose intolerance is not a viable market. I don’t expect Rosa Labs to worry about a market with the size of just me.

So, while there’s still some pre-1.4 left, I’d like to get as much as I can. Anyone want to sell? I’ll buy at $88/week for as many weeks worth as possible and pay for shipping.

I live in SLC. Please send me a message!
Thanks!

Also check out the Soylent Swap thread.

Oh wow, never heard about such a condition until you mentioned it :frowning: A shame to hear!
Have you considered DIY Soylent as a future alternative for when earlier versions run out?

Leaving a link for everyone else.

Definitely considered DIY Soylent, and probably will ultimately end up doing it myself, but whoa having it premade is so convenient! :smile:

DIY isn’t that bad. I did it for most of a year (Soylent 1.0-1.2 were not usable for me). Once you get a decent recipe it is pretty simple to prepare. I started out mixing individual days but switched to mixing as much as would fit in a bowl. I had two big bowls that I would mix stuff in. Each bowl held about 3 days worth. I would then put about 1.5 days worth in Rubermaid containers. I’m happy with my weight so I wasn’t counting calories or anything.

In any case I would recommend getting into DIY since you can never be sure when Rosa Labs will make another change that will make it unusable for you. I would offer my help, but there are a lot of people smarter than me to help you. :smile:

Check eBay. There is a lot of 1.3 (1.0, etc.) still available there.

slaps head

I can’t believe I didn’t think to check eBay. Thank you.

Haha, no worries. Actually the older stuff is cheaper than 1.4 on there. I actually got some 1.0 on there because I had missed out on it and wanted to try it, just for the heck of it. I found someone selling a week’s worth for only $45 or something.

Also, check out the various makers of alternative soylents. Right now the easiest place to get links to all or most of them is http://www.blendrunner.com/. Some makers, like axcho, have open-source recipes so you can easily check for your sensitivities.

Only one that I can vouch for is 100% FOOD Double Protein Chocolate:

The ingredients are:

Organic Golden Flaxseed
Hulled Hemp seeds
White Hulled Sesame seeds
Brown Rice flour
Lecithin and Dextrose
Vitamin and Mineral mix
Premium chocolate mix

Problem is that it is kinda chewy but maybe you’d like this. I used to put it with a cup or two of water in the blender but you have to drink it quickly otherwise it swells up like pasta.

Would the sugar in 100%FOOD be problematic for someone sucrose intolerant though?

You may want to check out ketogenic ones. Most have very, very little to almost no sugars/starches in them with the aim towards extremely low carbohydrates. They’re mostly useful for people wanting to lose weight but most are as good and some better tasting than official Soylent.

Would the sugar in 100%FOOD be problematic for someone sucrose intolerant though?

Dextrose is just another name for glucose, which is one of the two simple sugars sucrase breaks sucrose into, so dextrose is fine.

(Paradoxically, high fructose corn syrup (a mix of fructose and glucose) is often much easier on me than sucrose.)

This 100% FOOD recipe does look good.

You may want to check out ketogenic ones. Most have very, very little to almost no sugars/starches in them with the aim towards extremely low carbohydrates. They’re mostly useful for people wanting to lose weight but most are as good and some better tasting than official Soylent.

Yeah I’ve been Keto-curious for a while now. Maybe after I run out of pre-1.4 Soylent it will be time to give it a shot.

Nothing useful to contribute just showing support. I found that I can’t do oat products without crazy intestinal distress so I wish you the best of luck in stocking up! There are a ton of good DIY options out there, personally I find the milk & masa based ones (i just switched to a milk base about 3 weeks ago) have been fantastic.
Best of luck!

I do still have a week and a day supply of 1.3. I’m in the Phoenix metro area. Not sure what the current going prices are (much less the shipping costs).

I’m definitely intolerant to this stuff as well. 1.4 gives me a type of gas I only rarely get – and it’s almost indescribably bad, and lasts up to 48 hours. 1.4 is treating me horribly.