Suggestion: A version without Sucralose

I’m sure I’m not the only person bothered by the presence of Sucralose in Soylent. I would definitely buy a version without it even if it tastes funky. Sucralose makes me feel weird, and I’ve noticed this with Soylent albeit more tolerable than diet drinks.

The second half of this suggestion is to look at Tagatose. It’s a sugar that is 92% as sweet as Sucrose but only has 38% of the calories. It’s also slow digesting and promotes low blood sugar. Sounds too good to be true, but I’m just saying what I read on wikipedia. shrug

I’ve been told that Soylent 2.0 has 15 mg of Sucralose. It’s 600 times as sweet as Sucrose which means we’d need 9 grams of Sucrose to replace it. That would be about 35 calories which isn’t even a big deal… However, if you used Tagatose you’d need 9.8 grams which would only be about 15 calories.

Have you tried a blind sensitivity test? I always have doubts about sensitivity to things which are commonly nocebic. Avoid that link if you get headaches easily.

Love me some CGP Grey!

I should try that, thanks for the suggestion.

There are many threads here about the sucralose - give a quick search and you’ll find them.

The sucralose in Soylent is not for sweetness, at all. It’s for masking other flavors. Sucralose does this better than most flavoring agents.

For reference, Soylent 1.5 contained 15 mg of sucralose per day. A 12-oz. can of soda needs 70 mg of sucralose to replace the usual sweetness.

A day of Soylent, at two liters, would require 330 mg of sucralose to be sweetened as much as that can of soda. So there’s only 4.5% as much sucralose in Soylent as there is in soda, per ounce. And the sucralose in soda hits you straight, while the sucralose in Soylent is slowed by fats, carbs, protein, fiber, etc.

It may well be worth that blind test to see if it affects you, at all.

I understand that it’s not meant to make Soylent taste sweet. However, it does add a certain amount of sweetness in order to mask undesirable flavors, as you said. Again. The means of masking those favors is by adding a certain amount of sweetness.

I have calculated that 9.7 grams of Tagatose can add the same amount of sweetness while only adding 15 calories.

Of course, if the calories need to stay at 400 even, they can easily tweak the other sources of carbs.

So I don’t see how my suggestion is not reasonable. But I do plan to try the blind test.

I don’t agree. I’ve used quite a bit of stevia in my DIY and made it quite sweet without masking the flavors of my vitamin powder. Sucralose is much more effective, even when used in small doses that don’t sweeten much. It has a masking effect independent of the sweetness. I gave up and take my vitamins separately. (They are higher potency than official Soylent.)

Good to know! I also gave up on mixing my vitamins in when I was diy, at the same time I was sort of wondering what I’d done wrong.

I still prefer taking my vitamins separately, though.

I’d really like to see a version without sucralose myself.

Sucralose produces glucose intolerance, so that insulin response to sugar is poor (higher insulin and higher sugar levels). Less insulin receptors, but more insulin. According to the article below this may be an effect of alterations in gut flora. The end result being you are more prone to type 2 diabetes, weight gain and cancer as a result of glucose intolerance and higher insulin levels.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22329872.600-artificial-sweeteners-linked-to-glucose-intolerance/#.VBr4HvldWVN[1]

That is discussed more here: Sucralose linked to glucose intolerance

While that’s interesting ongoing research which I’m following (for different reasons), it doesn’t apply to Soylent. As always, “the dose makes the poison.”

Those experiments are based on feeding maximum daily amount of sweetener allowed by the FDA. The results are relevant for people who use those substances as sweeteners in everything they eat.

The tiny quantity of sucralose used in Soylent isn’t even used for sweetness, and unlike non-calorie drinks, it’s not delivered in the absence of actual carbohydrates, so it’s unlikely to have the effect described in the study.