Suggestion for flavouring and enhancing your soylent

I checked out the long thread on flavouring soylent and didn’t see this little dodge, so thought I would mention it separately, as it has worked spectacularly well for me.

Pudding mix! Jello, or Shirriff’s or Neilson’s, President’s Choice or NoName, it doesn’t matter much, they are all pretty much alike. Mostly they consist of sugar (sometimes with dextrose) and corn starch (or tapioca starch or both), plus flavouring agents and other minor ingredients. They come in two basic kinds, the kind you cook and the instant kind; again, it doesn’t make a lot of difference other than procedure.

You make up your soylent. Then make up the pudding, and add about 125 ml to each meal-portion of soylent. It creates a nice flavour, makes the whole affair creamier with a nicer mouthfeel, and adds anywhere from 90 to 180 calories per meal. The caloric variation depends on the brand and on how you make it – instructions call for making it with milk, but you can leave out the milk if you’re lactose-intolerant or just don’t want it. By itself, the mix comes in at 90-120 calories per 125 ml serving; with milk, more like 160-180. The calories are all carbs except for whatever protein and fat you import with the milk. If you’re picky you can adjust your mix to take the extra carbs into account, or not, as you please. Some soylent recipes are pretty scant on calories, I think people are discovering, and an extra 100-150 per serving may help your satiety.

The effect on my own soylent is extremely nice.It also works a treat if you intend to freeze your soylent! Since I think soylent should be satisfying and enjoyable, I’ve adopted this technique as a regular thing. If you have issues with any of the ingredients, well then this isn’t for you. But I’ve seen so any people struggling to make their soylent drinkable, that I thought I’d mention this easy trick. Lots of nice flavours to choose from: chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, coconut, butterscotch, banana creme and probably yet others in the big stores.

Another possibility is gelatin dessert mix; sugar and gelatin (protein) mostly. It comes in a wide variety of fruit flavours and you could use it in conjunction with added blended fresh fruit. I haven’t tried this yet but I fully intend to – probably when I get some official soylent to try.

I hope this suggestion proves useful to some of you as it has to me – for me it was quite a breakthrough in overall satisfaction.

I may or may not be back - but just wanted to drop a line and say you’re a genius, my friend :slight_smile:

Gave you a good laugh, did I? Great! We can all use something to laugh and grin about every day. Whaddaya mean, you may or may not be back??? We need you here, @GodRaine ! I just PM’d @lghaman to see whatinell’s happened to her… haven’t seen her here since June. I hate it when forums start to lose their best posters!

Hey, if you get time to play catch-up, please go read my experiences with RFA Soylent on this thread. Stuff has been happening! And you stick around, dude – we can’t do without you.

Nothing is stronger than an idea, and this idea is definitely still in my head strong. Recent happenings have distracted me; that’s all :smiley: I’ll definitely be more active here in the coming weeks.

So do you make it separately and then add it in after you’ve made the rest? And if you’re not including milk do you just make it with water instead?

That’s right, Dylan. I just mix them (soylent and pudding) together in the yoghourt tubs that I use for my frozen soylent. The pudding extends the volume a bit so I get five serving from a batch, which is nice; as my recipe has extra calories and is over 100% on most minerals, this works out fine. I make mine with milk and haven’t yet tried it without; but it should work. One might well just include the pudding powder in the soylent mix, if it’s instant pudding; the blender should do the job. But I prefer to do it separately because of volume considerations. Like all of this, it’s something you can play around with and find the way that suits you best.

@J_Jeffrey_Bragg I’m still here, mostly lurking. I’ve shifted my approach to the food thing, I’m using the same Soylent principles but I could never get the taste/texture right, so I’ve switched to a commercial full meal replacement that will help with my goals. I may revisit the soylent idea once the first commercial runs start going out, but for now the commercial version is working really well.

THERE she is!!! I’m so happy you are still with us, Lauren! I was afraid you had dropped off the map. If I may ask, which MR are you using? It’s a topic of interest to me, I keep on researching it in spare moments and Ensure follows me around on the web like a GoogleAds lost puppy dog that wants to be taken home. :wink2:

I’m actually using Optifast. It’s a medical VLCD. It’s temporary, the first 3 months are five shakes a day which replaces all meals, after that you gradually transition back on to healthy food (or perhaps soylent for me, we’ll see). :smile:

OMG, Nestlé strikes again! Those guys are everywhere. Optifast Ready to Drink Water sugar, milk casein, corn syrup and sunflower oil!!! Dare I ask what their prescription-diet sugar/milk solution costs? Well I’m glad at least it’s working for you, as indeed I guess it should at 160 calories per meal/800 calories a day. That’s “very low calorie” indeed. I’ve been as low as 650 for periods of a week or so, and for 2 days out of 7 for around six weeks on an IF regimen. It works. I weighed 215 lbs last November and I now weigh 145-147, trying to stabilise at 145 and then maybe gain back some lean body mass if I can manage to make it to the village gym some this fall and winter. But jeez, the Optifast formula weirds me out (as, to be fair, does that of Ensure and others – to make this stuff out of any cheaper ingredients they’d need to use floor sweepings).

Tell me this, if you don’t mind my curiosity, Lauren – if you couldn’t get your soylent the right taste and texture, why did you not just try a simple basic milk, egg, banana, table syrup or brown sugar mix, plus a multivitamin? It would be a whole lot cheaper and as long as you put it together for the same bottom line caloric allotment, should work just as well and be a lot easier on the pocketbook. Was it the medical supervision part that was attractive? And if so, how’s that working – what kind of supervision do you actually get? (I hadn’t seen the Optifast programme before, although it doesn’t really surprise me; nothing would in that field, actually. And yes, it would be Nestlé, wouldn’t it!)

That’s if you don’t mind discussing it on the forum here; if otherwise just say so; like I said, MR has become a research hobby of mine.

Currently giving it a go but I thought I should report that it DOESN’T work with water. So… that’s a bummer.

Right now it’s running me about $17 a day, which isn’t great but it’s not breaking my pocketbook either. I like that it’s easy and convenient and tastes great and is easy to control. To be honest, I got slightly tired of the DIY solution. I spent a lot of time and money playing with ingredients and different mixes trying to get the right combination of flavor and texture, etc. The textural component was a big deal and if I’m not really in to something I lose patience with it pretty quickly. The Optifast is supposed to be medically supervised but I think I know my body well enough to not need to pay some registered nurse a ton of money to try and teach me how to eat.

I do understand the convenience and taste factors! Only, $17/day really does seem quite exorbitant for what you’re getting; I would feel like it was an unacceptably high price to pay for the convenience of popping a bottle of hyped-up sugar-shake.

If your lifestyle makes in inconvenient to blend a smoothie, then so be it and for you perhaps the product is worth the money. But sometime when you have the time for it, just try something simple and basic like a banana, milk, an egg and a spoonful of brown sugar – add anything else that really appeals to you, like toasted wheat germ or hempseed or sunflower seed, or not. Count the calories in your ingredients so it doesn’t turn out too rich. Don’t call it soylent, since that obviously has associations with powders, texture and taste problems, and perfectionism. Just say it’s a smoothie. You might find it works just fine for you at a mere fraction of the cost of the OptiFast. If it doesn’t, fine; at least you tried.

I think sometimes most of us here on this forum tend to make too big a deal out of all this, choosing ingredients, arguing their relative merits, balancing formulae against RDAs and so forth. And I’m becoming convinced that the maltodextrins, the raw oat powder, and the elemental chemicals together constitute an approach to daily nutrition that will ultimately prove impractical in use. A balanced selection of foods may in the end be far more appealing and completely satisfactory from a nutritional standpoint. The jury’s still out, though; I’m not going to prejudge the situation before Rob’s final product is even officially on the market. I’m just saying, though, that you aren’t the only person who has had difficulties with DIY soylent compounded from powders, and that that’s not the sole possible approach to the problem that soylent proposes to address.

Hope you stick around with us here, Lauren. I enjoy your posts and there’s seldom enough female energy here to create a nice balance. Can’t afford to lose ya! Keep us posted how the OptiFast goes for you long term. And thanks for the feedback!