Sunflower Milk 1600

Hello,

I’ve made my first Soylent recipe and after making some and having a taste I’ve called it Sunflower Milk. That’s exactly what it taste like (Think soymilk but made with Sunflowers). I think it’s amazing but I was hoping that I could get some critique from those more knowledgeable than myself.

My recipe is here:
https://diy.soylent.me/recipes/sunflower-milk-1600-low-carb

I’m based out of Sydney Australia, so all the links are for Australian shops or places that deliver to Australia. If anyone overseas (or locally) wants to try this I would be greatly honored. Also, looking forward to any feedback from the world of Soylent :smile:

Nice! Low calorie FTW!

Only two things leap out at me. You only have 123g of digestible carbs. According to the FDA the human brain needs a minimum of 130g per day. You also have mystery fats in your recipe. I would suggest going through your fat sources and make sure all the slots are filled in.

The fats are mostly coming from the Lecithin and LSA mix, so they are nut/soy based fats.
I’ve tried to find more details on the LSA mix, but am struggling. I’ll have to find out about the components and calculate from there.

getting the fats right would be really important. You don’t wanna accidentally end up with 10 grams of Omega 3 per day, or 40g of saturated fat. There’s a whole lot on here about fat ratios, and I encourage you to look those up, but some general advice is this: no more than 7% of your calories should come from saturated fat. you want most of your fat to be monounsaturated (some have recommended a 1:2:1 saturated:monounsaturated:polyunsaturated ratio). There are a variety of opinions on the Omega 3:6 ratio, but generally anywhere 1:1 to 1:5 should make you safe there, with a quick caveat that anything above 5g of Omega 3 per day is considered dangerous (it has a blood thinning effect). IMO Fats are the fun-tricky part of DIY.

Is that 5g of total omega 3, or 5g of just DHA/EPA?

Total omega 3. Even ALA will thin your blood.

Well, per what I wrote in the description, I’ve cut back on the number I put in the box for Omega 3, due to the down conversion from ALA in the LSA mix. My reading showed that it was the DHA/EPA that thinned blood. If the ALA has the same effect, then this recipe has a fatal flaw.

Only two things leap out at me. You only have 123g of digestible carbs. According to the FDA the human brain needs a minimum of 130g per day. You also have mystery fats in your recipe. I would suggest going through your fat sources and make sure all the slots are filled in

Having done a ketogenic diet of next to no (around 30g) carbs per day, I can attest that this isn’t really an issue. Your body will produce ketones when you’re low on blood glucose and synthesise fats into glucose for you. This is the reasoning behind creating this recipe as I have. I wanted a low (though, I would call 100g+, medium) carb count in my Soylent.

But this is not a ketongenic recipe. You have to get the digestible carbs below 50g for that to happen. As is this recipe is in the in between area. Not low enough to achieve ketosis but not high enough to supply your brain with sufficient glucose.

You don’t need days of dieting to enter a basic state of ketosis. You can enter it just by skipping lunch.
I’ll report back after trailing the mix for a bit. Likely that, after this first week, I’ll be supplementing with a standard meal at dinner times, because at 100KG and 6", my maintenance Calories should be around 2500-2700 or so.

Not just fats, all other things should be right too.

No you can’t. Your body has stored up glycogen that it uses to keep your blood sugar up when you “skip lunch”.

Having taken comments on-board, I’ve changed the recipe to include a bit more oats and coconut sugar, and a bit less LSA. Still ~1600 Cal, but noticeably more carbs, and should bring the LSA taste down a bit, it’s a bit overbearing trying to replace all my meals with this, as it stands. Also brings down the Omega 3 ALA and Omega 6 a noticeable amount.
I’ve also put a bit of cinnamon into my mix to give it a bit of a different taste.
I also found that I had to eat an actual meal last night. But, as I said, my daily requirement for Calories is much higher than 1600

edit: I think it needed the sugar anyway, it was a little too savoury tasting for my liking.

I have a question… Do people normally just go straight from having a “normal” diet to consuming nothing but Soylent. I’ve found that very difficult and seem to be having headaches and other general "not feeling too good’ feels…

It’s definitely recommended to ease into it. At least a few things can cause headaches: dehydration from not drinking enough water, increased potassium intake (most “normal” diets are deficient in potassium), and lack of caffeine if you used to ingest it daily. Other “not feeling too good” problems can be digestion issues due to greatly increased fiber, too much protein (partially digested), and too many complex carbs (also partially digested).

The caffeine is noticeable, I’ve been yawning all day for the last few days.
And the water thing, I guess it’s hard to disassociate the water that I’m adding to my soylent from the water I’m supposed to be drinking otherwise. I need to up my water intake.

I only had half my soylent today, and I don’t plan on having any more. The thought of it makes me feel a little sick.
I don’t think LSA mix is a good plan for soylent. It seem to have to much of a noticable taste, makes it very easy to get sick of it.